HD Locals in San Antonio

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
Does anyone have any information on when HD locals will or should be available in the San Antonio area, neither D* or E* have told me anything...

Last edited:
Yup, last night we still had no HD locals via sattelite in San Antonio. As others have said, though, we're on the short list.

Good news is we get all the networks (less UPN) OTA in HD. I think, even when we do get sat HD locals, we will not get WB and UPN (which are going to become My Network TV and The CW, respectively, this fall), so you'll have to get them OTA no matter what.

35, which is currently WB, has a transmitter in Kerrville, which is nearly 180 degrees from the rest of the area's towers (using downtown SA as a reference point) and will take some work to get, unless you're really far north or south.

2, which is currently UPN, is in Fredricksburg, which is to the NW of SA. It's not currently transmitting a HD signal, though. Hopefully, when it starts, it won't use channel 2!

The rest of the transmitters are all lumped together on the east side of town and easy (for me at least) to get.

I am curious to know, that since I have an install on Thursday will I be able to get the HD locals when they light up or will I not have the right equipment?

If it is an HD(VIP 211, 411 or VIP 622) install and you are subscribing to the San Antonio locals package, you should get the HD locals when they become available.

Last edited:
Ok I was just worried because with D* even if you subscribe to the HD package and have their new HD equipment, you had to get a new dish when the HD locals became available.

I think we're still in the "1000 zone" in San Antonio. Further south, however, is out of the "1000 zone." However, When my 622 was installed, the installer used the existing 500 and 300 on my roof, so I do not have a 1000.

I know that Houston and San Antonio are scheduled to go live in "Q2". This thread makes it sound like San Antonio could go live any day now. Is the same true for Houston?

ChetK said:
I know that Houston and San Antonio are scheduled to go live in "Q2". This thread makes it sound like San Antonio could go live any day now. Is the same true for Houston?

I think thats because on that list that was posed about Echostar X San Antonio was listed as going live with HD on April 17 which was yesterday, I don't know about Houston.

OK, I checked TP25 on 110. I got a signal of 109-110 with a lock and name of Echostar 110 West. However, The lock only lasts for about about 30 seconds and will not return unless I switch out of and back into TP25.

No Satellite HD locals yet, though.

Ok, my question is, when SA locals are turned on, will the FOX station be available with the others, as my understanding is that KABB is asking Time Warner for extra $$ to re-broadcast over their cable system , hence no FOX-HD on TW?

I will be moving to SA in a few months and am not sure what my OTA capabilities will be, so I'm curious what DISH will offer and will be very happy if the big four nets are there. We shall see.

Currently, FOX's SD channel is on Dish, so unless they're going to charge a premium for HD (which sounds illegal, as does charging for SD, since it's broadcast TV), this should be a non-issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts