HD Locals on 61.5 being switched to 129

IowaGuy79

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Hello all,

I know this is probably a "soon" to never question, but I thought I would put it out there any way. I live in the Des Moines, IA DMA, and have a Dish 1000.2 because of line of sight problems with Eastern Arc (can't get anything east of 95 degrees). I know that currently the HD locals for Des Moines are on 61.5, and have been uplinked to 129 at TP1 Spotbeam 21 since 01/14/2009. Do you think that they would turn this to available? If not why would that be? I understand the need to get others their HD locals first, but since spotbeam 21 is really only good for two markets (Des Moines and Cedar Rapids) and since 1 of them has some of their channels, the bandwith problems for that spotbeam shouldn't be an issue (or maybe it is just the TP bandwith). Also does E* have to get another contract signed (pay more) to distribute the signal on more than one satillite? Not that I think they would do that for a smaller DMA like Des Moines. With these stations already being distributed through 61.5 is there a lot more they need to do so that they can be distributed through 129?

Thank you!!

It is possible they will be carried on both satellites. But, 61.5 and 129 operate differently with uplinks. 61.5 has to have the uplink for the spot under the spot, 129 has centrally located uplinks for the spots. So, it takes two different fiber runs from your DMA, one for each satellite.

So, if they are indeed planning (as indicated by the uplink) to offer Des Moines from 129 they will have to have a new fiber run done. The channels on 129 are probably simply slates right now with no real content on them. A fiber run seems to take a mysterious length of time since lots of companies are involved, it is hard to say how long it will take.

Why would Dish bother putting DMA #73 on both? :confused:

The only reason I could think of, is for the money it would bring in from subs who only have a western arc dish.

Though I do agree, without a national plan for line of sight issues (having every market on Eastern and Western Arc) it does not really make much sense for Des Moines!

I would think it would make more sense to have them on 129 only, because of all the western arc dishes out here, and because of spot 21 really only hitting Des Moines and Cedar Rapids (since Omaha is on a different spot, I think). Seems like a waste of a spotbeam, just to have one DMA on it. Unless I am mistaken and there are other markets which could use spot 21.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)