HD Locals question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SonicGT

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
I am going to be getting HD once the new HR20 is release in my market (Chicago), so now I have questions and figured the folks here are best to answer them :)
I know that not all the locals are available over the satellite with HD, just the main ones. So my question is do I need to have OTA antenna to get them, or with the HD packages do I still receive the non-hd locals, so I can watch them at least without an external antenna?

Last edited:
locals on hr 20

The hr 20 will only pick up your digital locals with the OTA.
Directv.com has a link on website to check for your locals available in sd and they have made press releases for areas where the hd locals will be available.
For all you digital locals + sub channels you will have to use an ota.
Check more on this forum to see if any info available when Chicago will get their hd locals via satellite. I have the hd package but I was told I have to subscribe to my sd locals and when available I will get hd locals for free.
Hope this helps
Jdmac29

If you live in a MPEG4 HD locals area you will get:

1. The NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC HD locals for sure (some are saying something about WB and/or UPN in their areas ???) via the dish.

2. ALL your locals in SD via the dish.

3. ALL of the digital OTA (depending on your antenna and how correctly it is setup) I wouldn't recommend the suppied antenna, but getting your own.

Attachments

• DMA.jpg
    DMA.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Does anyone know of over time if HD locals will be expanded to include others beside the big 4 (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC) being offered. In SD we receive them all.

Mtnmike said:
Does anyone know of over time if HD locals will be expanded to include others beside the big 4 (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC) being offered. In SD we receive them all.

I recall that some markets have additional HD locals. Some do not have all of the Big 4 yet, however. In the Seattle DMA, only CBS and NBC are currently being carried (supposedly Fox and ABC are "in the works"). I wouldn't be surprised to see CW added (PBS would be nice, as well).

charper1 said:
If you live in a MPEG4 HD locals area you will get:

1. The NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC HD locals for sure (some are saying something about WB and/or UPN in their areas ???) via the dish.

Unless you live in Indianapolis. Then it's just ABC and NBC. It's kinda sad when the parent company of D* can't get the darn Fox channel....and I don't think Fox59 in Indy is an O&O deal....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts