HD locals via OTA and HD locals via satellite.....

mikeinaustin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I live in austin, texas and currently get my HD locals via OTA (i feed an antenna into my 722). The program guide currently shows whats on those channels and the channels show up "yellow" in the guide. For instance, at 07-01.

If i add a wing dish @ 61.5 i will be able to get my HD locals via dish satellite feed as well (dish added austin hd locals around april).

The question i have is this, if i add this wing dish, will the dish program guide show me BOTH my OTA HD local channels and my satellite HD locals?

Will i still be able to record my OTA channels?

If the above is true, then does this mean i can record two HD locals (via the 2 sat tuners) at the same time while watching a third HD OTA local (via the ota tuner)?

I just had a wing dish installed Monday pointed at 61.5 and it is just as you suspect. I now have my locals in HD along with my OTA's in yellow. I can record 3 locals at the same time now.

I know you can turn "off" the SD channels that Dish provides for locals, but presuming you didn't enable that setting and you get SD locals and HD locals via satellite as well as HD locals via antenna, how do they show up in the guide ? I know the SD channel would be "12", for example, while the OTA HD would be "12-01". How does the HD local from satellite appear ?

I live in austin, texas and currently get my HD locals via OTA (i feed an antenna into my 722). The program guide currently shows whats on those channels and the channels show up "yellow" in the guide. For instance, at 07-01.

If i add a wing dish @ 61.5 i will be able to get my HD locals via dish satellite feed as well (dish added austin hd locals around april).

The question i have is this, if i add this wing dish, will the dish program guide show me BOTH my OTA HD local channels and my satellite HD locals?

Will i still be able to record my OTA channels?

If the above is true, then does this mean i can record two HD locals (via the 2 sat tuners) at the same time while watching a third HD OTA local (via the ota tuner)?

I live in Austin. I could call them anytime and have them update me. Honestly, I'm kind of waiting for Eastern arc, as a second dish (or even a wing dish) does not appeal to me. However, this would just get me the big four with no CW, no PBS, no digital (not HD) Univision and no subchannels, right? Fortunately, my Radio Shack UFO can grab just about everything.

You should be able to do OTA as there is an option in the setup to use OTA or satellite feeds for locals. OTA is useful for rain fade.

I stick with the wing dish. Where I am except for useless religious and Spanish station which I can peak at 90 in NJ the local stations in NYC I have trouble getting strong. Go figure. Most I peaked was 70. Usually around 10 to 50. The signal is yellow at most and drops out.

I would like to upgrade to a EA Dish but I have three other receivers that are MPEG-2. Maybe by the time they offer it to current customers in February they will have more MPEG-4 receivers.

I know you can turn "off" the SD channels that Dish provides for locals, but presuming you didn't enable that setting and you get SD locals and HD locals via satellite as well as HD locals via antenna, how do they show up in the guide ? I know the SD channel would be "12", for example, while the OTA HD would be "12-01". How does the HD local from satellite appear ?

The SD channel shows up as 008-00 and the HD shows up as 008-00 but also has the HD next to it. The OTA's show up as 008-01 and are yellow. I have a custom guide with the SD's deleted so I don't accidentally watch SD.