HD Net NHL blackout?

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
Does anyone know if HDNet's hockey games are ever blacked out? Tonight they have the Flyers & Pens, but I currently live under Comcast's Imperial Rule, so I'm wondering if I can still watch on HDNet, or if Emperor Comcast will lock that down.

Weezknight said:
Does anyone know if HDNet's hockey games are ever blacked out? Tonight they have the Flyers & Pens, but I currently live under Comcast's Imperial Rule, so I'm wondering if I can still watch on HDNet, or if Emperor Comcast will lock that down.

Weeznight,

I have bad news for you. Any HDnet games are subject to local blackout as HDnet does NOT have local rights to the games. The result is you have to watch the game on your local RSN or local affiliate carrying the game.

John

I'm in the Pittsburgh market, the Pens-Flyers game was on the local FSN station last night, it was a home game, yet the game was also available on Dish HDNET.

The 4-0 whipping of the Flyers looked very good indeed.

Tom Conelly

Weezknight said:
So were you able to watch the game? I did, the video quality was great, the result horrible. My alligence is as numbered

1. Colorado Avalanche
2. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New Jersey Devils
3. All other East Coast Teams, except the Rangers
4. Remaining NHL teams
5. Colorado Eagles
6. World Teams
7. NCAA Teams
8. Other CHL Teams
9. Any other remaining hockey teams including high school and pee-wee leagues.
Last: The NY Rangers. I could not accurately assign a number because infinity never ends and I always add 1 to infinity to rank my love of the NY Rangers.:eek:

What are HDNET's blackout rules? They are not the same as the RSN restrictions, because I was able to view the LA Kings game last night from Los Angeles on HDNET. Out of curiosity, I tried to switch over to the Center Ice broadcast of the same game and couldn't because it was blacked out. This same thing happened last season too.

Does anyone know why?

BFG said:
you should've been blacked out
You should change your name to Gary Bettman :)

No one, paying for a package should EVER be blacked out. Since HDNet is a pay channel, all paying customers should receive their programming.

opinion: Local advertising should be banned for sporting events. If an affiliate is not able to survive without those dollars, then corporate should cut them loose.

I know my response is a bit late, but I was able to watch the Flyers game on HDNet. I was very surprised, but glad at the same time. It wasn't a great game, as the Flyers had their normal anemic Power Play, but at least hockey is back!

As to allegiances?

1. Calgary Flames
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. University of Maine Black Bears
4. Any other Canadian NHL Team (especially when they beat teams like Florida, Tampa Bay, and Phoenix)

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Whalers, Jets, and Nords, so I can't support their newer incarnations.

Not our fault that the fan base in Quebec could not support an NHL team! :devil:

You have heard the song .... Oh Canadaaaaa, our hockey homeless land .... :D I actually had a Canadian (Quebecian?) that lived across the street from my mom. She was pissed when they lost their team and SUPER-pissed when we won the Stanley Cup.

HDNet blackout rules depend on the contract regional affiliates have with their NHL teams.

Example- FoxOH has exclusive rights to the BlueJackets in all of Ohio and parts of W. VA and Indianna/northern KY. As a result when the Blow Jackets are on FSNOH they are blacked out on HDNet. The HDNet replay is available but not the live game. If FSNOH does not televise an away game of the Blow Jackets then it is blacked out.

Each team has it;s own agreement with it's regional TV affiliate, (i.e. FSN or Altitude/Sun Sports etc) and that contract dictates whether or not HDNet is blacked out. NBC National games aren't subject to blackout.

It sucks that it's a patchwork of rules, I have spoken to Doug MacLean about it and he's not happy but as contracts expire they can be renegotiated.

If your team is blacked out on HDNet call your team, and tell them you are spoiled with HD Hockey and you've lost respect for them with such a short sighted contract. Tell then you're about to change allegiance to another team. Maybe then teams will take a second look at giving HDNet the same consideration as NBC or (3 years ago) ESPN.

Digital Dude said:
It sucks that it's a patchwork of rules, I have spoken to Doug MacLean about it and he's not happy but as contracts expire they can be renegotiated.
You talked to DOUG?!?! Dang man, WhoTF are you that you get to talk to the second highest guy in the NHL?!?! Now I am scared to be in your FHL league. I don't even know who won the Hart Trophy last year.

I know my response is a bit late, but I was able to watch the Flyers game on HDNet. I was very surprised, but glad at the same time. It wasn't a great game, as the Flyers had their normal anemic Power Play, but at least hockey is back!

As to allegiances?

1. Calgary Flames
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. University of Maine Black Bears
4. Any other Canadian NHL Team (especially when they beat teams like Florida, Tampa Bay, and Phoenix)

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Whalers, Jets, and Nords, so I can't support their newer incarnations.

Another Mainer here :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)