HD NETWORK FEEDS NOT PURCHASED

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pwp818

Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Ben Lomond, CA
Background: My 5 LNB dish can't see sat 119 due to trees - 0 on all transponders. If I move it, I lose sat 99. My locals are on 119. Therefore, no locals. However, I do get SD DNS network feeds for ABC (W) and CBS (E and W). I live near Santa Cruz, CA (Salinas-Monterey market).

I asked DIRECTV why I couldn't get HD network feeds on 390, 391, and 397, since I have HD service. They said I could have them at no extra cost. They have since tried several times to authorize and provide them, but I keep getting the message "channel not purchased (721)". Finally a tech told me that I could not get them because they come from sat 119. I almost gave up, but then I saw a spreadsheet on this forum that showed they should be coming from sat 99. In fact, I get HD on 390 (CBS E) sporadically. What do you think is going on here? :confused:

People in California are not allowed to access the east Coast HD feeds (FCC ruling). Based on your zip you probably qualify for the West Coast (LA) Distant Network service channels but you need to call DirecTV and ask for the DNS department to arrange for you to get the necessary waivers. And the DNS channels are not free...

Thanks, guys. I'll address all your comments. First, I looked at the second dish idea but was told there is no commercially available switch for combining 2 Ka/Ku multi-LNB dishes. So I'm resigned to not getting locals.

Re the DNS, I do pay for DNS feeds. I get SD versions of CBS (E&W) and ABC (W). I just want to the get HD versions (from LA?). Yes DIRECTV told me I was not allowed to have the east coast HD feed (CBS NY), but strangely that's the only one I sporadically get. Can anyone confirm that the CBSHD and ABCHD DNS feeds for the west coast should be coming off sat 99W? If they are actualy on sat 119W, then I will just have to give up.

if your message says "channel not purchased " it is a straight up authoraztion issue which you should take care of first before worrying about signal issue as you can cancel them right away if signal is to low
btw sat 119 i think has a few of mpeg2 nyc dns,the la ones are long gone from mpeg2, the tech has 1.5 year outdated info

FYI, the reason why you sporadically get an east coast HD DNS is probably because sometimes DirecTV switches it on for everyone, if there are widespread reports of problems with that channel in several cities and there is an important program (usually sports). So although I don't get DNS, I have been able to view one or more DNS channels on several occasions this year.

Thanks for the replies. Texasbrit may explain why I've gotten the east coast feed sporadically. Last time was during a final four basketball game.

My signals for sat 99 are lower than on the SD sats. What is too low though? I get 70's mostly and some 60's. I'd like to re-aim my dish, but since it can't see sat 119 I'm not sure how to proceed. Could I just change the tilt (and then az?) while watching the receiver meters for sat 99?

Thanks for the replies. Texasbrit may explain why I've gotten the east coast feed sporadically. Last time was during a final four basketball game.

My signals for sat 99 are lower than on the SD sats. What is too low though? I get 70's mostly and some 60's. I'd like to re-aim my dish, but since it can't see sat 119 I'm not sure how to proceed. Could I just change the tilt (and then az?) while watching the receiver meters for sat 99?

A correctly aligned dish will have signals on 99c (99a for a receiver) and 103c (103b for a reciver) that are at least in the 80s. Mine are all mid-90s. When the dish is in good aligment your 101 signals will MOSTLY be in the 90s or even 100. Some transponders on 101 are spotbeams and so low or zero signals will be normal. 99s and 103s are all spotbeams carrying HD locals so many of them will be low or zero for you.
Assuming the dish is generally aligned OK (and yours probably is) the best way to improve alignment is to tune the receiver to the signal strength screen showing all the transponders for either 103c or 99c. Then loosen the lockdown bolts for azimuth and use the fine tuning adjustment on the dish to VERY slowly adjust the azimuth. 99c and 103c are very sensitive and even a small adjustment can make a big difference in signal strength. Then repeat the process for elevation, until you max out the signals. You should find that peaking on 103c gives peak signals on 99c (or vice versa), and also improves your 101 signals - if you can't get 99c and 103c to peak together it usually means your dish mount is not plumb - very important.
Forget the tilt. For the SL3, you just set the tilt to the correct number for your zip. Assuming that is set correctly, adjusting the tilt is not going to affect your signals on 99/101/103, you only need to check tilt alignment if you are going to receive 119.

A correctly aligned dish will have signals on 99c (99a for a receiver) and 103c (103b for a reciver) that are at least in the 80s.

Assuming the dish is generally aligned OK (and yours probably is) the best way to improve alignment is to tune the receiver to the signal strength screen showing all the transponders for either 103c or 99c. Then loosen the lockdown bolts for azimuth and use the fine tuning adjustment on the dish to VERY slowly adjust the azimuth. 99c and 103c are very sensitive and even a small adjustment can make a big difference in signal strength. Then repeat the process for elevation, until you max out the signals. You should find that peaking on 103c gives peak signals on 99c (or vice versa), and also improves your 101 signals - if you can't get 99c and 103c to peak together it usually means your dish mount is not plumb - very important.

Thanks much. I'm going to try it.

IIRC there is a way to do multi-dishes with 110/119 if you are able to get 99/101/103 on one dish. You should be able to use polarity lockers and a WB68 to combine two different dishes.

I didn't really say that tilt does not matter, if you set the tilt to zero you would notice it. But with the SL3 you set the tilt to the value for the zip code you are in. That is nearly always enough, if your dish mount is plumb you should not need to adjust tilt to fine tune the dish. That's because 99 and 103 are so close to 101 that small changes in the tilt have no effect on the 99/103 signals. You don't see any changes except in the 119 signals (and maybe some small change in 110 if you are receiving those signals) . It's all in the geometry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts