HD News...not Voom though

truqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Miramar, FL
This isn't Voom but it's STB and HD related and may be where many of us will end up if the lights go out on our STB's... :river

DirecTV Adds ABC in High-Def
January 25, 2005
By Katy Bachman

Through an agreement with Disney ABC, DirecTV announced today it is now offering ABC's high-definition (HD) programming, including primetime hits such as Desperate Housewives and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, to customers in the 10 markets where ABC owns TV stations. With the addition of ABC HD programming, DirecTV now offers national HD feeds of all four major networks (CBS, NBC and FOX) in select markets.

The carriage deal airs the national ABC HD feeds in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, N.C., Fresno, Calif., Flint, Mich., and Toledo, Ohio. Initially, customers of those markets which are in the Pacific and Mountain time zones will receive a West Coast feed and those in the Central and Eastern times zones will receive the East Coast feed.

DirecTV customers who subscribe to DirecTV's local TV package in the ABC markets will receive the HD programming free of charge. The satellite TV company currently has 13.5 million customers.

MediaWeek report here

Man these "press" guys are slow ABC HD has been available since the beginning of the year. :) I wonder why it takes them so long to put out a press release.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Man these "press" guys are slow ABC HD has been available since the beginning of the year. :) I wonder why it takes them so long to put out a press release.

Well it's probably the PR people from the companies they work for...looking for the right spin of events!
Who knows what we will and when we will read about Voom's future...

Could it be a diversion from E* news and possible developments?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Not only that but they ommit the fact that (because of FCC regulations) only a small fraction of D* subs can get access to ABC-HD or any other distant feed.

klen said:
Could it be a diversion from E* news and possible developments?
That's an interesting theory. Maybe since E* bought Rainbow-1, D* felt that they needed to do some kind of HD-related announcement ;)

truqui said:
Through an agreement with Disney ABC, DirecTV announced today it is now offering ABC's high-definition (HD) programming, including primetime hits such as Desperate Housewives and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,
I know this ain't exactly the point of the thread, but did Extreme Makeover: Home Edition really go to HD? I've missed the last couple episodes. :confused: