Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2004
Voom news boosts Cablevision stock

BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

February 12, 2005

Cablevision's stock price rose more than 3 percent Friday on news that chairman Charles Dolan plans to personally take over the remaining pieces of the company's struggling Voom satellite TV service as a private business.

But announcement of the plan late Thursday left many unanswered questions that could dramatically affect Cablevision Systems Corp., its founding chairman and its chief executive James Dolan, who split with his father Charles over Voom.

Foremost among the questions is how Charles Dolan can raise financing for the money-losing venture, which has already cost Cablevision $1.4 billion.

"Investor speculation is now focused on his willingness to potentially sell Cablevision outright, including the highly coveted cable systems," said Merrill Lynch analyst Jessica Reif Cohen, adding that Voom needs $400 million in 2005 financing.

For Cablevision, unloading Voom quickly could save money. Although Dolan would not pay for the assets, he would assume some commitments.

Cablevision "could save roughly $100 million of cash flow from the wind-down of expenses," investment firm Friedman Billings Ramsey said of the Dolan plan for Voom, formally called Rainbow DBS. "We believe this change, which still hangs on financing, would remove the final overhang of the Rainbow DBS debacle."

Cablevision stock gained 87 cents per share to $27.46 Friday.

Dolan has to raise financing by Feb. 28, the deadline set by a special committee of four independent Cablevision directors for a definitive agreement.

"The Dolans' financing alternatives appear limited," Reif Cohen said. "We doubt a partner could be found to fund the cost of maintaining a niche commercial satellite video operation."

Dolan, a billionaire, controls 75 percent of Cablevision's shareholder vote and directly controls 30.8 million shares, worth $845 million, part of which he presumably could use as collateral.

Copyright © 2005, Newsday, Inc.

I wonder if VoomHD LLC will go public someday? Would be nice to get on the ground floor as an investor and make a nice nest egg. I kick myself for not buying Echostar in 1995 just before their move into DBS. $10K investment then would be worth quite a hunk of change today.

Or another big kick in the butt.

When in 1972 Mel Fisher walked up to me in his then little museum in the Florida Keys and asked if I would like to invest $1700 in a treasure search for the Spanish ship the Atocha. Missed that boat big time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)