HD on 4.7gb disc?

Toshiba's Vardia RD-A301 writes HD DVD content to DVDs - Engadget HD

very cool stuff from Toshiba.. how many people could now take their HD camcorders and turn around and record them on a single DVD disc .. how long before this functionality starts showing up in camcorders in general?

Now if they could record off component cable or HDMI people would be all over it! :)
Nothing hard about this. I have been writing HD to DVD for years on my PC. You will never see recording off of HDMI or Component cable though. At least not in consumer products. There was only one JVC device I know of that will do it and its thousands of dollars.

You are behind times here... $250/$350 will do...
Blackmagic Design: Intensity Tech Specs
It won't do HDCP though...

Diogen.
Which means its incompatible with all cable boxes, sat boxes, HD DVD players, BD players etc correct? They all want HDCP via HDMI to work I think. Im just not seeing the usefulness of it. what HD HDMI sources are not HDCP?? Video cams I suppose. Please educate me.

This is a two-part problem:
- being able to capture a hidef stream
- making this ability useful with any modern broadcast system

The first is technical since the bitrade is huge.
It used to be available only in pro equipment carrying pro-level pricing. Not anymore (see above).

The second is philisophical/moral.
HDCP is probably the weakest "protection" system devised recently.
Without going too deep into how it can be circumvented, just have a look at this
Spatz-Tech's DVIMAGIC: killing on HDCP - Engadget
It's more proof of concept: expensive, hard to get, doesn't work with all devices, etc.

Also remember that the HDCP key can be revoked as any AACS and/or BD+ key (the Spatz device has an HDCP key!).

And we haven't even scratched the surface of the main problem - how to handle the captured stream in real time...

Ripping regular DVDs is easy but is done by very few.
Ripping HD/BD is hard, has no certain future and is done by hobbists only...
Handling HDMI capture is 10 times harder, more expensive (RAID5), requires more computer experience and will never go mainstream.

Diogen.

HDCP is probably the weakest "protection" system devised recently.
Without going too deep into how it can be circumvented, just have a look at this
Spatz-Tech's DVIMAGIC: killing on HDCP - Engadget
It's more proof of concept: expensive, hard to get, doesn't work with all devices, etc.

Also remember that the HDCP key can be revoked as any AACS and/or BD+ key (the Spatz device has an HDCP key!).
Now there is a piece of equipment I would like to test out. I honestly didnt know something like that existed. I have the feeling that you will not be able to buy it for very long. MPAA and SONY's heads must be exploding over that.

I have the feeling that you will not be able to buy it for very long. MPAA and SONY's heads must be exploding over that.
Actually, that device is over two years old (look at the day published). I haven't used it, have no first hand experience.

Its biggest problem is limited applicability. Unlike many other circumvention devices - for example, free to air receivers,
DVB PCI cards, etc. - this doesn't have any legitimate application in the US. Hence, it won't be sold here due to the threat of DMCA.

But again, even if it would be legit, it is a real PITA to work it. Since it's DVI, audio would be stripped. Storage requirements would be over 100GB/hour.
Real time encoding is something even studios don't do anymore. High resolution audio on HD/BD will have watermarks soon...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)