HD on all 4 televisions

tdillon

Loster then I Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 9, 2004
Now that HD televisions are very affordable, I have replaced my old CRT televisions in the bedrooms with 26 inch HDTV flat panels. Of course, with my 622 DVR and 625 DVR I only have ONE HD signal available in the house. What is Dish doing for people that have transitioned to today's technology? All of the sets have ATSC antenna inputs, so for now I have piped in programming from my OTA antenna. In Los Angeles that is over 65 digital channels, with about 8 channels having at least some HD programming. Since there is only 1 RF connector on the televisions, I've had to put an A/B switch on the sets to allow them to either get the NTSC signals from my Dish DVRs or the ATSC programming from my OTA antenna. I tried combining the signals of the two sources, but the Dish signals get washed out with interference from competing signals in the OTA feed. My long-term strategy will either be to get HD Tivo's for each tv and only use local programming, or to get HD equipment everywhere from my subscription tv provider, currently DISH. My alternative providers are Verizon FIOS or Time Warner Cable. All subscription based services are woefully behind in offering HD everywhere. Any suggestions? Am I alone? Are others trying to get HD on all of their TVs?

I tried combining the signals of the two sources, but the Dish signals get washed out with interference from competing signals in the OTA feed.
If you can find a channel that is not too near any OTA channels, then you should be able to combine DISH RF output with your OTA signal. I am doing that with the output of my 722.

If you have access to run HDMI cables, then you can get some reasonably priced HDMI switcher/splitters and cables from monoprice and wire things so you should be able to watch the HD output from either rec'r on any of your 4 HD TVs. That said, you will only be able to view 2 different programs (in HD) at the same time. You'll also need an IR distribution system to control the rec'rs. You will have some upfront equipment costs, but over time that one-time cost should be cheaper that paying for a HD rec'r at each HDTV location. I myself have one 722 outputting to three HDTVs and two SDTVs.

Do like most people do.. Complain to Dish..
Or just go buy what you need and get HD anywhere you want.. I am sure that it is on Dish's radar to one day get all HD equipment. But I am sure it's like everything else.. "Coming Soon"

Neither Dish nor DirecTV are prepared for the all HD house. But somewhere I am sure someone is working on it.

The only way to get HD on each TV is to have an HD receiver at each one. Someday they'll have an easy cheap way of sending it wirelessly throughout the house. I have my HDTV in the livingroom hooked up to my 622 with an HDMI cable and have a component cable running into my bedroom. They both have HD but they have to watch the same program. Works just fine for me though.

If you have access to run HDMI cables, then you can get some reasonably priced HDMI switcher/splitters and cables from monoprice and wire things so you should be able to watch the HD output from either rec'r on any of your 4 HD TVs.
Actually, to be able to do that might be a bit pricey -- but there is another alternative that wouldn't require any splitters or switchers. From each rec'r, if you drove one HDTV with component and the other with HDMI (both outputs are always active) then you can drive four HDs. With that setup, you'd only need to buy a pair of long cables (HDMI would probably be best) for the HDTVs not located next to the rec'rs.

It would be nice if rec'rs had ATSC modulator in them, but at this point that equipment is just too costly.

No, you are not alone. What I did was bought a 722 (my 1st foray into HD) and later on when everybody was projectile-vomiting when looking at their old SDTVs, leased two 612's from Dish. In principle, we can lease 4 612's from Dish before being told "No", and then we could buy two more for 6 TVs.

The 612 is an oddball dual-tuner (actually 3 counting OTA) HD DVR that counts as one tuner for Dish Network purposes. So, you can watch different HD channels on each receiver via either HDMI or component outputs.

If you don't mind watching the same program on multiple HDTVs, you can always run a length of HDMI or component cables from the TV1 output on your 622 to the other HDTVs. Or you could buy a Slingbox Pro HD, connect that up, and stream the HD over your network to a Slingcatcher or HTPC. Or you could wait for the 922 to come out and do the same with that and a Slingcatcher or HTPC. (That assumes they permit HD output from the 922.)

The Solo HD DVR 612 is the HD DVR for households who want HD on more than 2 TV's. Dish will lease up to FOUR 612's and install them at each of your 4TV's providing real HD at each TV.

When you connect your terrestrial antenna into the OTA connection on the 612, the OTA channels are integrated into the guide and you can tune to and record the OTA channels just like you would a satellite requiring no special wiring since if will be fed from the 612. This means you can have as many as 3 HD recordings at the same time: 2 sat channels and 1 OTA channel. The 612 has only ONE OTA tuner.

If you want an OTA signal for each 612, then you will need to buy an Super Home Node, an FCC approved device (it prevents any broadcasting of the RF frequencies) that amplifies and splits your OTA signal (and cable frequencies from a separate input to have them and OTA combined on one cable, as well) to up to 4 locations, in your case each 612. The Dish Store should have the Eagle Aspen Super Home Node for sale. The Eagle Aspen Super Home Node is the ONLY Dish Network approved Super Home Node device for any of its systems. So, if something happens to your system, the warranty on all your Dish equipment is still valid. Using any Dish unapproved parts will void the warranty.

I'm not certain if this is what you were seeking. You should know that while the 612 does not have a TV2 experience, it does have an RF Ch. 3 or 4 output for a very limited backfeed experience to another room and HDTV.

The 612 is the single room version of a 622 except no home distribution and no PIP. I love the PIP and swap functions and use the home distribution so I use a 622 in single mode for each HD TV.

The 612 is the single room version of a 622 except no home distribution and no PIP. I love the PIP and swap functions and use the home distribution so I use a 622 in single mode for each HD TV.
I've heard others talk about how they use PIP with their 622/722, but for me I honestly do not understand the attraction. Ever since I've had a dual tuner DVR, I've had no use for PIP. I record things I want to watch, and then watch each one at a time. With DVR, why toggle back and forth between programs? Maybe I'm missing something...

I have 4 HDTV's. I have 4 722's. It was HELL getting them from DISH. I wound up buying two and leasing two more. They didn't want to do this. I had to deal with "executive problem resolution". I just told them that DirecTV (or Comcast) had no problems with supplying me with 4 DVR's and if DISH didn't want to do that I'd be saying goodbye (after 7 years). I also didn't want to hook up phones. They said that without the phone connection they'd ding me $5 a receiver. I told them to permanently waive the fee or I'd be gone. They complied.

The 722 can record two DISH signals and one OTA signal (simultaneously).

I only stick with DISH because (supposedly) their 722 is a better DVR than others.

They seem to have a real problem with the idea that a household has more than 2 HDTV's.

Avoid the 722K. The 722 already has OTA built in. The 722K can record 2 OTA's vs. the 722's single OTA, but you pay extra per 722K box for OTA capability.

Beware heat issues on the 722. The damn things never fully shut off. Monitor the temperatures on the diagnostic screen and add cooling as necessary.

By the way, the idea of using a single DVR to drive two TV's is one of the most idiotic things that I have ever ever seen. PIP is great, recording while watching is great.

Sometimes I wonder if DISH wants to fail.

Now that HD televisions are very affordable, I have replaced my old CRT televisions in the bedrooms with 26 inch HDTV flat panels. Of course, with my 622 DVR and 625 DVR I only have ONE HD signal available in the house. What is Dish doing for people that have transitioned to today's technology? All of the sets have ATSC antenna inputs, so for now I have piped in programming from my OTA antenna. In Los Angeles that is over 65 digital channels, with about 8 channels having at least some HD programming. Since there is only 1 RF connector on the televisions, I've had to put an A/B switch on the sets to allow them to either get the NTSC signals from my Dish DVRs or the ATSC programming from my OTA antenna. I tried combining the signals of the two sources, but the Dish signals get washed out with interference from competing signals in the OTA feed. My long-term strategy will either be to get HD Tivo's for each tv and only use local programming, or to get HD equipment everywhere from my subscription tv provider, currently DISH. My alternative providers are Verizon FIOS or Time Warner Cable. All subscription based services are woefully behind in offering HD everywhere. Any suggestions? Am I alone? Are others trying to get HD on all of their TVs?

I'd like to have a 722 that would drive 2 HD TVs with different HD signals. If I recall correctly, Charlie Ergen addressed this issue on one of the chats: there is a rights issue that would have to be addressed. For those families that have young children, it might be nice to have the kids in a romper room watching cartoons controlled by the parents while the adults can be in the living room or TV room watching more adult fare. Or the mom could be in the kitchen fixing dinner while watching Food HD while dad watches the football game.

Regards,
Fitzie

WHy would anyone avoid the 722k? I have one and they are wonderful. I can record 4 shows at one time;2 sat /2 ota. I replaced my two 722 receivers with one 722k and payed just 29.99 for the ota module and added my external hard drive and I can get by with one receiver now . With the custom folders option , I can put all of my shows and my wife's shows in neat organized genres: News, Daytime, Primetime,Late night,Films, Home decore for my wife's decorating shows. The 722k is the best receiver that DISH has ever had till the new 922 comes out. The 922 is based on the same receiver but with new guides, menus, channel logos, sling loaded. This receiver will come with the ability for a small 15 " hdtv that will have a second hd outlet that can be added. So you can watch hd on your main tv, the 15 " hdtv will work via wi-fi in the kitchen , and you can watch tv2 in sd in other rooms. The only question is will the main hdtv and the second wi-fi hdtv be watching the same thing at the same time?

I have 4 HDTV's. I have 4 722's. It was HELL getting them from DISH. I wound up buying two and leasing two more. They didn't want to do this. I had to deal with "executive problem resolution". I just told them that DirecTV (or Comcast) had no problems with supplying me with 4 DVR's and if DISH didn't want to do that I'd be saying goodbye (after 7 years). I also didn't want to hook up phones. They said that without the phone connection they'd ding me $5 a receiver. I told them to permanently waive the fee or I'd be gone. They complied.

The 722 can record two DISH signals and one OTA signal (simultaneously).

I only stick with DISH because (supposedly) their 722 is a better DVR than others.

They seem to have a real problem with the idea that a household has more than 2 HDTV's.

Avoid the 722K. The 722 already has OTA built in. The 722K can record 2 OTA's vs. the 722's single OTA, but you pay extra per 722K box for OTA capability.

Beware heat issues on the 722. The damn things never fully shut off. Monitor the temperatures on the diagnostic screen and add cooling as necessary.

By the way, the idea of using a single DVR to drive two TV's is one of the most idiotic things that I have ever ever seen. PIP is great, recording while watching is great.

Sometimes I wonder if DISH wants to fail.

Wow, talk about chest pounding (on your first post, no less). And your assessment of DVR for two TV's is bewildering at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)