HD on all 4 televisions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
you mean like this guy?
300px-Kzinti2.jpg
Hey! where did you get a picture of my ex?

Did you read my post? It details why I like having one 722k vs two 722 dvrs for me and wife. Saves me the extra 5.98 dvr fee and the extra 7.00 additional receiver fee. Beside having the ability to record up to 4 things at one time is great because it gives you more options. Why would anyone object to more options?:confused:
Did you read my post? I suggested that if you could get by one ONE 722k then you most likely could have gotten by with ONE 722. So your talk about the dvr fee and add'l rec'r fee in this above reply is pointless (and suggests you didn't really read my post). I admit the 722k (with OTA tuner module) can record more things at once than a regular 722, but unless your OTAs aren't available via sat then I doubt you really ever use all four tuners at once -- so as I said before, you could have gotten by with a single 722 too.

I stand by my earlier post, two TV's off a single DVR is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen.
I have my lone 722 driving 3 HDTVs and 2 SDTVs. Sure there is only one HD output so all the HDTVs must be on the same channel (if they are watching HD) but I can only be in one place at one time so it works for me. Having the extra SD output that is independent from the HD output is great too because it can drive any one of the other four TVs in the house -- so I can watch my HD programming while my son/wife watch some other program elsewhere in the house (albeit in SD). It seems kind of wasteful to spend money on (the fees for) multiple 722s if you really only going to watch one (or two) TV(s) at a time.

I like PIP. Use it all the time. Not available on the 612.
Again I see no reason to toy with PIP when you have a dual tuner DVR. If you are really interested in two programs that are on at the same time, record both and watch them both entirely instead of playing the swap back and forth game. IMO, the need for PIP all but died when I got a dual tuner DVR. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far no one has be able to explain it to me (or even tried really).

Last edited:
Concerning PIP: Have had it for years with TV's on unscrambled cable. Tend to channel surf a lot, just wandering around the airways. Will stop on something interesting while waiting for a commercial to end on the news. With PIP you just monitor the one program while waiting for another. Don't necessarily want to record it. The approach you mention works as well, but I prefer PIP (personal taste) for surfing.

Concerning the 4 TV's/DVR's: There are 4 people watching stuff at the same time, they may also be recording stuff as well. Rule of thumb that I use is one TV needs at least 2 data streams (for recording, PIP, whatever).

I have my lone 722 driving 3 HDTVs and 2 SDTVs. Sure there is only one HD output so all the HDTVs must be on the same channel (if they are watching HD) but I can only be in one place at one time so it works for me. Having the extra SD output that is independent from the HD output is great too because it can drive any one of the other four TVs in the house -- so I can watch my HD programming while my son/wife watch some other program elsewhere in the house (albeit in SD). It seems kind of wasteful to spend money on (the fees for) multiple 722s if you really only going to watch one (or two) TV(s) at a time.

Again I see no reason to toy with PIP when you have a dual tuner DVR. If you are really interested in two programs that are on at the same time, record both and watch them both entirely instead of playing the swap back and forth game. IMO, the need for PIP all but died when I got a dual tuner DVR. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far no one has be able to explain it to me (or even tried really).

Did you read my post? I suggested that if you could get by one ONE 722k then you most likely could have gotten by with ONE 722. So your talk about the dvr fee and add'l rec'r fee in this above reply is pointless (and suggests you didn't really read my post). I admit the 722k (with OTA tuner module) can record more things at once than a regular 722, but unless your OTAs aren't available via sat then I doubt you really ever use all four tuners at once -- so as I said before, you could have gotten by with a single 722 too.

Okay let me try one more time and really try to clear this up for you. I DO record 4 things at a time and do it during prime time hours on Mondays , Wednesdays, Thursdays and on Fridays. We have multiple conflicts during the tv season , what with American Idol, Dancing with the Stars , not to mention the Monday night comedies on Cbs. My wife also wants her decorating shows recorded and they come on during the day and night times. So during the day we have the decorating shows, the soaps, The View, also I record premium movies stations like Hbo/Cinemax and Starz at all times of the day and night. At night I record the late night comedy shows like David Letterman and Conan on the ota tuners and use the two sat tuners for Movies and decorating shows. WE are power recorders and we do use the 4 tuners.

IN my master bedroom we use the dual tuner Echostar dtv pal plus dvr for ota network fare , news shows , soaps, and some shows we can't fit in during prime times due to having 5 conflicts with the Cw . I also have three external hard drives full of movies and series tv that I recorded that we couldn't all watch last fall; Heroes, Medium, Rescue me. I love not having to have two 722 dvrs anymore and I love saving the extra 7.00+ 5.98 =12.98 a month to use the extra dvr.

So don't doubt me when I say that I DO record 4 things at a time. THE 722k is the best dvr that DISH has ever created and it was made for people like me and my wife . By the way I have Houston hd locals , that I "moved" to get, and my ota stations from Beaumont for local news and a lot of prime time programming due to all my local ota channels are in HD now.

So don't doubt me when I say that I DO record 4 things at a time.
You never said that you actually use all four tuners when you replied to my post -- hence me asking again (especially when your reply talked about fees that seem irrelavent to what I was talking about) . You are a power DVR user indeed and not a typical user. Just like a sole 722k services you, I think many typical users would be fine with a sole 722 if they simply invested in some distribution equipment (which is a one time cost versus the recurring cost fees of multiple 722s).

Okay I agree, many would be comfortable using a 722 for their own recording needs. The problem is that the 722k is now the latest dvr being pushed to the new subs. so the 722 , like the 622 before it, might not be available any longer .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)