HD on TV2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

halsan40

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Palm Bay, Fl
I have had a 622 since it came out over 2 1/2 years ago. TV1 is hooked up to my 70" JVC Pro HDTV and TV2 was hooked up to my bedroom 32" analog CRT.
Life was good. The ability to record from either TV and watch it on either TV was simply fantastic.

Then my 32" broke. I replaced it with a Panny 50" 720p set and the picture looks, to say the least, crappy with that RF input from the 622.

Is there any way to get an HD output for TV2 from the 622? If not what would be my best cost effective approach have both TV's with an HD feed and a common storage unit for recorded programs that both TV's could share?

Thanks,

As a matter of fact, no! TV2 outputs only SD. You can do better than the RF output, though. I think composite is the best you can do. There is definitely no HD output such as component or HDMI for the TV2 output.

They had mentioned that HD on TV2 may be coming in one of the charlie/tech chats. Not for the 622 though.

I don't mind getting a new receiver but since it is about 75' to TV2 I don't know how I would get the signal to the TV via HDMI. Cable is somehow able to get HD signals via coax. Hopefully the solution would be to xmit TV2 HD via coax and then have a box at TV2 to change it to HDMI.

Maybe I am just dreaming, but there must be others that have 2 HD sets in their home.

1. Run cables from TV1 to your second TV. Both will have HD signals - the same signal/program.
-or-
2. Get another ViP622 or ViP722 and activate the EHD feature (one time $40 charge) and you can move programs from one ViP to the other.
-or-
3. Get the upcoming 922 (possibly replacing your ViP622) and plan to sling from the 922 to the second TV or any TV with broadband access.
-or-
4. Buy a Sling setup and sling from your ViP622 to the second TV (or elsewhere).

I don't mind getting a new receiver but since it is about 75' to TV2 I don't know how I would get the signal to the TV via HDMI. Cable is somehow able to get HD signals via coax. Hopefully the solution would be to xmit TV2 HD via coax and then have a box at TV2 to change it to HDMI.

Maybe I am just dreaming, but there must be others that have 2 HD sets in their home.

The problem with doing this is apparently (from what I've heard) not a technical one. It's the threat of harassment by the reactionary troglodytes in the content industry who posses the legal equivalent of retard-strength. They not only have no imaginations, but have such low intelligence, that they only think of new technologies in terms of who could possibly pirate something, not how it can add value to their product, and make them money in the long run. It's not a hard thing to modulate it into ATSC. But as I said, the technical aspect isn't the obstacle. :mad:

1. Run cables from TV1 to your second TV. Both will have HD signals - the same signal/program.
-or-
2. Get another ViP622 or ViP722 and activate the EHD feature (one time $40 charge) and you can move programs from one ViP to the other.
-or-
3. Get the upcoming 922 (possibly replacing your ViP622) and plan to sling from the 922 to the second TV or any TV with broadband access.
-or-
4. Buy a Sling setup and sling from your ViP622 to the second TV (or elsewhere).

My sweet wife and I don't always agree (like never) on what to watch so option 1 is out.

Option 2 sound good. Where can I get more info on EHD?

I don't have an network connection to either TV although I could add it since I have a wireless router connecting my 2 PC's. I am very familiar with setting up network connections, but I know nothing about the Sling setup. Maybe this would be the best for the future.(option 3 and 4).

I have been with Dish since about 1995, soon after they started. Would Direct TV offer an easier option?

Any advice will be always greatly appreciated.

The problem with doing this is apparently (from what I've heard) not a technical one. It's the threat of harassment by the reactionary troglodytes in the content industry who posses the legal equivalent of retard-strength. They not only have no imaginations, but have such low intelligence, that they only think of new technologies in terms of who could possibly pirate something, not how it can add value to their product, and make them money in the long run. It's not a hard thing to modulate it into ATSC. But as I said, the technical aspect isn't the obstacle. :mad:

It is the same mentality as DRM, and believe it on not the SEC Sarbournes Oxley SOX404 requirement for public corporations. The assumption is everyone is a crook.
It cost the companies millions of dollars a year. It really helped out in our current financial crisis (not).

Sorry, it's Tyralak's fault. He hit my soapbox button.

Anyone remember the "Dish 5000 ATSC modulator"? Proof that it can be done, and proof that the powers that be don't want us having that capability.

My sweet wife and I don't always agree (like never) on what to watch so option 1 is out.
I run 2 outputs to my bedroom TV. Most often, I use the TV1 component output with my 622 in single mode. In the case when I need to watch something different, I switch the receiver to dual mode and use the RF output. Normally my girlfriend is the one watching something different on the bedroom TV, and she doesn't seem to notice or care about the difference between component and RF.

.... Normally my girlfriend is the one watching something different on the bedroom TV, and she doesn't seem to notice or care about the difference between component and RF.

:eek: Time to look for a new GF. ;)

I run 2 outputs to my bedroom TV. Most often, I use the TV1 component output with my 622 in single mode. In the case when I need to watch something different, I switch the receiver to dual mode and use the RF output. Normally my girlfriend is the one watching something different on the bedroom TV, and she doesn't seem to notice or care about the difference between component and RF.

Same here.

Ed

I'm looking at an old post of yours, so hope you are still listening! I want to do what you have with my VIP722 to support the HD tv in the bedroom. What cabling did you use for the component connections? I've got to go about 30 feet, part of it outdoors.

Thanks,

I'm looking at an old post of yours, so hope you are still listening! I want to do what you have with my VIP722 to support the HD tv in the bedroom. What cabling did you use for the component connections? I've got to go about 30 feet, part of it outdoors.

Thanks,

Go to HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! and look under cables. You can get very long component cables at a decent price. That only carries the video. You will need audio as well. There are some component cables that also have 2-CH audio cable included in coax. You can also use separate component video and audio on the TV nearest the receiver and run HDMI to the second TV.

Thanks! One followup if I may. Is the quality of the picture significantly different between HDMI and Component connections? In other words, would I lose anything at the main tv by switching from an HDMI to a Component connection?

Thanks again

Thanks! One followup if I may. Is the quality of the picture significantly different between HDMI and Component connections? In other words, would I lose anything at the main tv by switching from an HDMI to a Component connection?

Thanks again

In theory there shouldn't be any difference although some people report seeing differences sometimes. I've tried both and don't see any difference on any of my HD sets.

Thanks again

You need to go HDMI. Why? Because HDMI is digital, and supports HDCP/copy protection. At some point, component (analog) connections will be "down rezzed" for some "content." In order to protect against people making "perfect" digital copies, or high quality analog copies, certain copy protection mechanisms have been built in. "Content providers" can activate a "flag" and anything of that program outputted in analog/component will be sent as more or less SD, not HD. This will happen a lot more often in the future.

Future proof yourself. Go with HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)