HD only pack-How long will it last?

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
As more and more chans become HD (soon :)) and are presumably added to the "HD only package", eventually it will have most all of the channels. At some point it will have as many chans as the top 100, then 200 and eventually 250. I wonder at what point will they start increasing the monthly $, how many HD chans are they willing to offer for $30/month?

Brad

It will change soon according to Charlie ,we can soon expect only HD not SD programs so Dish will only have the HD slate no more SD. This will all happen soon.

In all candor by next year their will bo no HD packages and no SD packages only one package for vairous program type like top 50 top 100 etc.

It will change soon according to Charlie ,we can soon expect only HD not SD programs so Dish will only have the HD slate no more SD. This will all happen soon.

In all candor by next year their will bo no HD packages and no SD packages only one package for vairous program type like top 50 top 100 etc.

I hope your right but I think your dreaming to think that HD will be that standard by next year. Maybe is 2 or 3 years.

As for the original question I think the HD only might last those 2-3 years but the price will have to go up to keep to many people from abandoning the high priced packs for the HD only.

The HD only parkage has less then a year of life left in her.
Feb 2009

Feb 2009 is the date that all broadcast channels must go digital(not HD) and has nothing to do with cable or Dish. Your old analog tv will still receive SD tv from cable, D* or Dish after Feb 2009.

Feb 2009 is the date that all broadcast channels must go digital(not HD) and has nothing to do with cable or Dish. Your old analog tv will still receive SD tv from cable, D* or Dish after Feb 2009.

I think what he meant is that Dish generally changes prices in February and so that's when we can expect the $30 HD Only package to be changed (in price or otherwise).

There seems to be a basic assumption that the dishHD (only) package is some kind of "loss leader" for Dish. IOW it is too good to be true and/or last very long, etc. But no one has produced any "evidence" to support this assumption.

AFAIK, even though this package may have a lower cash flow for Dish, it may actually have a higher profit margin than the SD AT100, etc. packages. There are less total channels for Dish to pay for and it still includes lots of SD channels that pay Dish to be carried (e.g. shopping channels.)

And why, pray tell, would Dish not increase the cost of the OTHER Dish HD packages (particularly the Ultimate pak) when they add more HD channels to them?

Finally, Dish could nearly double the price of the dishHD only package and I would still not be paying as much as I had been for the AT100 + HD package, that didn't even include all of the HD channels. And OBTW now that Dish added my HD locals aand SciFi HD there are NO (let me repeat that) NO SD channels left in ANY of the AT packages that I would ever care to watch. IOW Dish could stop carrying ALL SD channels (except my PBS local) today and I would not even notice :)

Talon Dancer

Last edited:

Where's your source?

Mojo, I think you are wrong. Dish Network is leading the way with the dishHD package. The loss leaders are the RSNs, that is why customers are forced to sub a basic SD package. I think the dishHD package will carry on into the future. You may just not be able to get everything for $29.99+DVR fee+locals fee+tax+$0.01 Cinemax.

I hope it lasts a bit longer as I just made the downgrade from the 200 + HD Ultimate. Saving $30 over having 180 channels I don't watch? Yeah no brainer. I will miss Cartoon Network, ABC Family, and Comedy Central. And there is always the online streams to get those shows that I did watch.

The addition of USA and SciFi were the tipping point for me. Plus now I also get the Science Channel and National Geographic, which if I wanted them the "normal" way I'd be paying a whole lot more.

I got the HD pack after they added CNN, if they don't add anymore I'm fine as all I watch is in the HD + locals package.

If the past is any guide and significant changes are made, I can see this package being Grandfathered like previous packs.

Better get it while you can

As more and more chans become HD (soon :)) and are presumably added to the "HD only package", eventually it will have most all of the channels. At some point it will have as many chans as the top 100, then 200 and eventually 250. I wonder at what point will they start increasing the monthly $, how many HD chans are they willing to offer for $30/month?

Brad

I wouldn't count on all new HD channels being added to the HD-only Package. I asked a CSR (Live Chat) about this yesterday and was told that "most" new HD channels would be added.

The addition of USA and SciFi were the tipping point for me. Plus now I also get the Science Channel and National Geographic, which if I wanted them the "normal" way I'd be paying a whole lot more.

Same here, Here's to hoping for Spike TV HD soon for TNA wrestling along with the WWE Trifecta of RAW, ECW & Smackdown.

I think the price will go up next year with the rest of the price changes, I think there is a niche to fill for people who don't want SD and Dish is the only company offering it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts