HD only pack-How long will it last?

I think that by February of next year you will see that this hd pack only will go away. It has come and gone now twice. THe hd pack stand alone was a stop gap measure to stop people from dropping DISH all together while they were waiting to add all their new hd national channels. By next year this will become a non issue as DISH turns on The Eastern Arch and they add more and more hd . THey will not want to keep on giving this hd pack away for$29.99 ,especially when they add another 22 national hd channels by years end.

I think that by February of next year you will see that this hd pack only will go away. It has come and gone now twice. THe hd pack stand alone was a stop gap measure to stop people from dropping DISH all together while they were waiting to add all their new hd national channels. By next year this will become a non issue as DISH turns on The Eastern Arch and they add more and more hd . THey will not want to keep on giving this hd pack away for$29.99 ,especially when they add another 22 national hd channels by years end.
Here's that "loss leader" assumption again, which singles out the HD only package special treatment.

Why wouldn't Dish keep the dishHD (only) package and just raise the price along with ALL of the other HD packages after they "add another 22 national hd channels by years end"?

FWIW I don't see anyone posting that they expect the HD Only pak pricing to stay the same forever regardless of how many HD channels Dish adds. Just that the concept of an HD Only package is timely and not paying for a lot of SD they don't want is attractive.

Talon Dancer

+1
Right on the money

Sorry for minor thread hijack, but I'm having trouble finding the slightly more relevant threads via search.. (I found a few short ones searching for "pack", but thought there was more...)

how does one order this package? (I went on the Dish website and found no evidence of its existence via the "order now"/new-customer process)... I was simply trying to get details on it

And I assume you can get HD-only + locals for ~$36?

thanks!

EDIT: I do find this link.. DISH Network -- Dish HD but then when you click on order, such an option does not appear to be available.. I figured I'd use the ordering configurator to see what a total bill would look like

Sorry for minor thread hijack, but I'm having trouble finding the slightly more relevant threads via search.. (I found a few short ones searching for "pack", but thought there was more...)

how does one order this package? (I went on the Dish website and found no evidence of its existence via the "order now"/new-customer process)... I was simply trying to get details on it

And I assume you can get HD-only + locals for ~$36?

thanks!

EDIT: I do find this link.. DISH Network -- Dish HD but then when you click on order, such an option does not appear to be available.. I figured I'd use the ordering configurator to see what a total bill would look like

Just call up DISH and ask for it.

I bet the price will go up some just because of the new channels next year. But, I think Dish saves some money on this one by not including RSNs. Yet another reason for YES and Dish to fight...

But, on the flip side one has to wonder if some of the HD delays are being caused by the HD only pack. I am sure program providers are not happy about it.

Dish is claiming to be planning to add more HD like the following: I got this email from Dish.

As a dishHDTM customer, all you have to do is give us a call at 1-888-290-3270 to get your FREE HD upgrade and start experiencing your favorite network programming as well as your hometown's news, sports and weather broadcasts in the great HD quality that you have grown to love!

• ABC Family HD
• AMC HD
• BET HD
• The Biography
Channel HD
• Bravo HD
• Cartoon Network HD
• CMT HD
• Disney Channel HD
• ESPN News HD

• HBO2 HD
• IFC HD
• MGM HD
• MTV HD
• Nickelodeon HD
• WGN HD
• The Weather
Channel HD
• VH-1 HD

All you have to do is call us today at 1-888-290-3270 to receive your FREE dish HD upgrade so you can start enjoying your local channels in HD today.

For more information, check out
DISH Network

All prices, packages and programming subject to change without notice. Local and state sales taxes may apply. HD programming requires HD receiver and HD television (sold separately).

Local channels vary by market

To make changes to your email preferences visit eDISH at dishnetwork.com. Certain email accounts block messages that you intend to receive. To make sure that you continue to receive updates from DISH Network add dishnetwork@dishnetwork.messages1.com to your address book.

©2008, DISH Network L.L.C. All rights reserved.
9601 S. Meridian Blvd., Englewood, CO 80112

As more and more chans become HD (soon :)) and are presumably added to the "HD only package", eventually it will have most all of the channels. At some point it will have as many chans as the top 100, then 200 and eventually 250. I wonder at what point will they start increasing the monthly $, how many HD chans are they willing to offer for $30/month?

Brad

When 150, 200, 250 HD channels finally exist, the SD packages will become HD packages. Charging for HD as a premium add-on will go away as HD will be the default for most people. You might see a cheapo SD package for those who don't want HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)