HD only package - missing more SD channels

For those who haven't been following this week's Up-Link Reports....

ALL of the National HD channels (except HD Premiums, HD PPV and the BigTen HD channels) that are included in the dishHD only (AKA dishHD Absolute) package were up-linked & made available as map downs in the 4100ish number range on Monday.

These are still not showing up in my EPG even after a Menu-6-1-1-Check Switch-Test to reload the EPG. YMMV

Talon Dancer

I don't see why they can't just simulcast all the HD versions in SD to HD-only customers.

I don't think Dish really wants any HD Only customers and were surprised how many people opted for this package. I think somebody miscalculated when they made this available. The less attractive they can make it now, the more likely that we will go back to a regular package + HD and they can make tons more $...

If all the SD channel versions of the HD channels disappear, I will be looking for other provider options if they won't give me a HD receiver for my analog tv as a replacement for the 510 DVR I turned into them...they currently want $100 up front for a leased MPEG 4 receiver.

...in my situation my locals still come SD...so it is a real mess....
IIRC Dish stated in the original announcement that dishHD only (AKA dishHD Absolute) subs could get their locals even if they were only available in SD.

OTOH, AFAIK Dish has never publicly stated that we would get ANY SD feeds of the National HD channels in the dishHD Absloute package (except Premiums, etc.).

In a sense, Locals are like Premiums, since we pay extra for them and some are not available in HD (e.g. PBS in most DMAS). Hopefully Dish sees it that way too.

Talon Dancer

I don't think Dish really wants any HD Only customers and were surprised how many people opted for this package. I think somebody miscalculated when they made this available. The less attractive they can make it now, the more likely that we will go back to a regular package + HD and they can make tons more $.......
This has been a popular speculation but.... Scott came away from the Team Summit Meet & Greet saying Dish would be PUSHING the re-branded dishHD Absolute package this Summer and Fall.

AFAIK no one has been able to demonstrate that dishHD Absolute is actually a "loss leader". Dish may have negotiated really good pricing with the content providers for pushing their not really HD yet channels. So dishHD Absolute may be a high profit margin package for Dish.

Talon Dancer

if/when they drop SD versions on the all HD package, they need to offer mpeg4 receiver trade-in for all of us that have multiple receivers

We only have one hd display in the house so we have a 622 and 522, if they drop SD my 522 becomes mostly worthless other than my locals but they still charge me for it.

if/when they drop SD versions on the all HD package, they need to offer mpeg4 receiver trade-in for all of us that have multiple receivers

We only have one hd display in the house so we have a 622 and 522, if they drop SD my 522 becomes mostly worthless other than my locals but they still charge me for it.

I have the same problem. They want $100 to upgrade to another HD receiver and told me that we were getting the SD versions "for free" right now and they expect to remove them from the HD Only package in the future. The SD locals will, of course, remain as the $5 local package add-on is a separate package (SD & HD).

If they offered a 522 to 722 for $50 I would probably do it, then just use my 622 on my SD televisions. I am pretty sure you can watch SD from HD receivers.

If they offered a 522 to 722 for $50 I would probably do it, then just use my 622 on my SD televisions. I am pretty sure you can watch SD from HD receivers.

Yes, I believe you can use an HD receiver for an analog set. I just think they should let me upgrade from a 510 DVR to a 211 or 222 receiver free of charge (I'm not even sure that is actually an upgrade). They are giving new subscribers a 622 (or 722?) free and they have already gotten an upgrade fee from me for my leased 622.

Actually, it would be a lot easier for them to just let us have the SD channel versions. We already subscribe to the HD versions and it seems ridiculous to have to get an HD receiver for an analog (SD) tv set.

Just another way to stick it to us pain in the a$$ existing subscribers...:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)