HD Only

morepar2u

Original poster
May 2, 2004
Anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to DISH for only the HD channels? I was a VOOM subscriber and switched to Comcast when VOOM went under. Comcast doesn't have a lot of HD and I miss the VOOM programming. I called DISH and they said I had to get one of the full packages and then add the HD.

I would like to get the HD movies (HBO, etc) and the VOOM package only - Don't care for all the Standard Def channels that are in the packages as I don't watch SD TV anymore (yes, HD has spoiled me).

Any help is appreciated.

If you own your own equipment and don't mind the extra fees you should be able to in Feb. when the HD package becomes a separate package. Right now call DISH and ask if it is possible. Currently if you are leasing you must have a minimum package to sustain the lease so HD Bronze would be your minimum to get HD.

Anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to DISH for only the HD channels? I was a VOOM subscriber and switched to Comcast when VOOM went under. Comcast doesn't have a lot of HD and I miss the VOOM programming. I called DISH and they said I had to get one of the full packages and then add the HD.

I would like to get the HD movies (HBO, etc) and the VOOM package only - Don't care for all the Standard Def channels that are in the packages as I don't watch SD TV anymore (yes, HD has spoiled me).

Any help is appreciated.

I have the HD only package from DISH.
I had to do my own install and purchase my own equipment.
Also I pay an additional acces fee charge.
Total= DishHD plus voom w/no other programming is $35.99 a month.
I get NGHD too. I use 4DTV for premium movies, Because they can't be touched in terms of quality and number of channels by DISH or any other provider.:D

I get NGHD too...

What!!! Do you get HG & FOOD HD??? If this is true, I am really pissed.

I am a Dish High Def customer since 2000, always owned my equip. When they first added Voom channels I dropped all SD for the $20 HD only pack, then purchased mpeg4 equip because they promised to keep giving new channels as they were added for $35/mo. Most recently when Dish added HG, FOOD, & NG I tried to get the new channels authorized and it didn't work. They forced me to switch to a metal pack saying no new channels for HD only people.

So how the hell did you get the new channels auth??? I bitched and moaned here many times:confused:

Hammer

I get NGHD too. I use 4DTV for premium movies, Because they can't be touched in terms of quality and number of channels by DISH or any other provider.:D

I was told I had to have HD Gold to get all of that, how the hell did you get this! I own my 211 and have been a Dish customer for almost 7 years. I am guessing you have a package that was discontinued that others have been talking about.

What!!! Do you get HG & FOOD HD??? If this is true, I am really pissed.

I am a Dish High Def customer since 2000, always owned my equip. When they first added Voom channels I dropped all SD for the $20 HD only pack, then purchased mpeg4 equip because they promised to keep giving new channels as they were added for $35/mo. Most recently when Dish added HG, FOOD, & NG I tried to get the new channels authorized and it didn't work. They forced me to switch to a metal pack saying no new channels for HD only people.

So how the hell did you get the new channels auth??? I bitched and moaned here many times:confused:

Hammer

Sorry,
I did not mean to piss anybody off.
But, maybe this will make you feel better.I dont have HGTV or FOOD. But I do have NGHD. Maybe you should send DISH a e-mail(I did) telling them that you are upset over them not giving you any of the new HDchannels and $35.99 isn't chump change. Hell, only $15.00 more and you can get the BRONZE PAK:D

... I am guessing you have a package that was discontinued that others have been talking about.

I had that $35/mo HD Only pack with a purchased Vip211 so I could get ESPN2HD and any future HD channel. But when HG & Food came out I tried every day for a week to get them authorized. When they couldn't do it they said I needed a metal pack. As soon as I subbed to the Bronze the channels magically appeared.

Hammer

Sorry,
I did not mean to piss anybody off.
But, maybe this will make you feel better.I dont have HGTV or FOOD. But I do have NGHD...

Very strange. Makes no sense why you have NGHD. I do remember I had it too when it first launched, but that was for a one month free preview (everybody had it). Then they shut it off for everyone except the Gold and up (or whatever).

Hammer

I had that $35/mo HD Only pack with a purchased Vip211 so I could get ESPN2HD and any future HD channel. But when HG & Food came out I tried every day for a week to get them authorized. When they couldn't do it they said I needed a metal pack. As soon as I subbed to the Bronze the channels magically appeared.

Hammer

Were those 2 channels worth upgrading to a metal pak?
They told me the same thing. No HGTV or FOOD unless I get a metal pak.
I said, "no thanks":)

Very strange. Makes no sense why you have NGHD. I do remember I had it too when it first launched, but that was for a one month free preview (everybody had it). Then they shut it off for everyone except the Gold and up (or whatever).

Hammer

Are you sure? You might have dumped the HDPAK before the free preview was up.

the dishhd only pack was discontinued as of june 1, 2006 and those that continued to keep it on their subscriptions weren't going to get any new channels added after that date. i guess they added ngchd to it as a fluke

Were those 2 channels worth upgrading to a metal pak?
They told me the same thing. No HGTV or FOOD unless I get a metal pak.
I said, "no thanks":)

It was another empty promise that another upgrade = the ability to get any and all new HD channels. At the time NO ONE knew which package(s) would get NGHD vs HG & FOOD. Another secret deal was concocted to require the SD counterpart to get the HD... I would gladly have traded if I knew because NGHD is so much a better channel than HG & FOOD. Fluke is an understatement, I'd call it SHAFT.

Hammer

Any help is appreciated.

HD only is available for $29.99/mo. $20 as an add on... but I think the time table is 1 February 2007... but just try a CSR to make the request. Good Luck..

Jk

I really don't want any SD channels anymore, that's the reason why I bought a 211 so I can get all the HD I need, plus I have an OTA antenna now and can get all my locals in HD, so I have almost 35 HD channels now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)