HD OTA, Hard Disk and DVD Recorder with HD Tuner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lind777

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I have been searching for a hard disk recorder which will record in high def on the hard disk as opposed to down converting to SD and then up converting to high def for playback. The Philips DVDR3575H seems to come close but it looks like it has only an SDTV tuner so I am not sure if it can even receive a high def signal. Any other products out there that record to hard drive in high def from OTA signal?

DVDR3575H/37 - Hard Disk/DVD Recorder - Players and recorders - DVD and home theater - Philips

Thanks.

There are a number of computer based solutions.

The TiVo HD models can do OTA.

Sony used to make a couple of models that you might be able to get your hands on.

Search the home theater PC (HTPC) forums. DVD-Video is too low of resolution. Youll need a 1080P disk recorder (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) or just keep HDTV recordings on fast big hard drives. not cheap either way.

Last edited:
Are the TIVO without monthly charges?

NOOOOO!! Tivo's charges are much higher than Dishes. If you pay monthly it's $12.95, annual blocks are 1 yr-$129; 2 yr-$249 or 3 yrs-$299. If you have one Tivo the second is half price.

I have a Series 2 with lifetime service (paid $300 extra at purchase) and a second one that costs me $7 per month.

I have been searching for a hard disk recorder which will record in high def on the hard disk as opposed to down converting to SD and then up converting to high def for playback. The Philips DVDR3575H seems to come close but it looks like it has only an SDTV tuner so I am not sure if it can even receive a high def signal. Any other products out there that record to hard drive in high def from OTA signal?

DVDR3575H/37 - Hard Disk/DVD Recorder - Players and recorders - DVD and home theater - Philips

Thanks.

Good question, and you have one of the answers. An HTPC may be the best way to go... if you're not too technically inclined the unit you mention seems to get reasonable reviews.

Manufacturers just aren't making a lot of DVD recorders today with HDs, unfortunately.

There are a few with ATSC tuners, DVD & Hard drive in them, I think SONY has one and toshiba

Note that mythtv needs a channel listing, which we use to get via zap2it, but they are no longer doing that, so there is a group schedulesdirect.org that is purchasing the listing from tribune. schedulesdirect.org is charging 20.00/yr

Last edited:
Lind: I think you and I are on a similar hardware quest. My wife's DVD recorder died and I am looking for a hard disk based replacement. She never saves the DVDs so what's the point of using that as the primary media?

I am exploring the possibility of using an FTA receiver with a hard disk. The unit would mainly be used by my wife to record her shows off our cable subscription, and the FTA aspect is just a bonus. (already have a motorized dish)

The trick appears to be in finding NTSC/ATSC/HD/FTA tuner capability AND fully featured recording software. I think what I want exists, I just have to find it. I have looked at some PC-based units, but my preference is a more conventional STB platform. I have already started a thread in the General FTA section you may also want to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts