HD Package not worth it!

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
Now that I've had HD for a while now, I think the HD package is not worth the $10 you get charged. HDNET is pretty good but HBO and ESPN pretty much suck. Discovery is ok if you want to watch animals and nature stuff. Unfortunately, I am committed for a year, after which I will drop the package. I may even put my 811 up for sale. I find that I watch CBS (local for free) way more than anything on the HD package.

My advice to those who are thinking of going HD: Check to see if your locals are up and running with digital. If they are, consider getting an OTA, Digital/HD receiver and don't waste your time or money on the 811 and E*. The OTA broadcasts here are so clear and the HD is great. Way better than cable and frankly, a lot better than anything E* offers.

I think the package is worth the money, with the exception of ESPN, 720P isn't as nice as 1080i, and they seldom broadcast anything but upconverted stretched junk. CBS HD is pretty nice, but much of what they broadcast is 480i, not all that much content is HD yet. Yeah, Dish needs to offer more channels in HD, the stuff is quite addictive if you ask me. If you rely on locals for your HD programming only, you'll not be happy.

I think it's worth it. I've had my 811 since Dec. 9. And the programing is great. Except ESPN. When they show in actual HD it's the best. The other crap isn't worth watching. And the others hardly show comericals. Hogans Heros in HD who'd thunk it.

As one of the ones who paid 9.95 for just Discovery, I think it is VERY worth it. HDNET/HDnetmovies is great. HBO/Showtime are getting even better with a lot more HD/OAR (yes even HBO lets a few slip out) material. Esspecially with the 921, there is tons of HD to watch.
FREAK!

AppliedAggression said:
Just curious. Why wouldn't someone get an 811 for just OTA HD? Wouldn't it be a lot better/cheaper than a stand alone OTA unit?

wouldn't that marry you to a dish subscription, for as long as you want OTA? Stand-alone means you don't pay nobody :)

Yea, I wish HBO would do OTA, but even as is, it's a lot better then 4:3. And the newer movies look very good.

Does HBOHD have anything to do with the HD pack (I didn't think you needed the pak to get HBO)?

I still have the HD pack, but I sure don't watch it much (I'm not a sports fan, and can only watch Discover for so long). Will watch an HDNet movie once in awhile. I'll keep if for now - it's great for demos - but, for me, it really isn't worth the money.

Now if they would get on the ball and add StarzHD and CinemaxHD the pak is even less useful (Both sat companies are losing more and more ground to HD on Denver Comcast).

But what else could they add to the pack right now -Bravo and thats it, I would like to see InHD also but since it is cable owned I don't know if would/could have it on a Dish system(except for Voom-owned by Cablevision)there is not much channels out there right now but they do need to get BravoHD on because of the Summer Games it will be showing.

AppliedAggression said:
Just curious. Why wouldn't someone get an 811 for just OTA HD? Wouldn't it be a lot better/cheaper than a stand alone OTA unit?

You can use it if you keep it hooked up to a dish. But the problems you have with the 811 (see the list posted in the other thread) just make it a kludge IMHO.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Where do you get a OTA HD tuner for less then $149? :)

Granted, the price is good but add on the HD Package fee you must have to get the 811 so, 9.99 x 12 + 149 and it comes out to about $270. Getting competative at this point.

Whiskey said:
720P isn't as nice as 1080i

I don't know about that. I just got a new set and receiver that will do 720p native and watched NYPD Blue OTA last night and I think it looked REALLY good. Now of course I went to a plasma from a RPTV but if everything was in 720p I'd be a real happy camper.

It's definitely not worth it. However, we're all suckers for technonogy and playing $10 a month for a few HD channels is to be expected.

If I ever get my 921, it will make it worth alot more.I almost have to have something to timeshift to get much good out of tv.I have to much work to do,to many phone calls,to many bathroom calls,to much food to eat without something that will record and pause programming. A DVR will just change your life.

Harry said:
Now that I've had HD for a while now, I think the HD package is not worth the $10 you get charged. HDNET is pretty good but HBO and ESPN pretty much suck. Discovery is ok if you want to watch animals and nature stuff. Unfortunately, I am committed for a year, after which I will drop the package. I may even put my 811 up for sale. I find that I watch CBS (local for free) way more than anything on the HD package.

My advice to those who are thinking of going HD: Check to see if your locals are up and running with digital. If they are, consider getting an OTA, Digital/HD receiver and don't waste your time or money on the 811 and E*. The OTA broadcasts here are so clear and the HD is great. Way better than cable and frankly, a lot better than anything E* offers.

Well Harry, that would be useful advice for people who are exactly like you. Not everyone is. I, for example, have not watched CBS (nor ABC, NBC, FOX, or PBS) since 1997 and have not missed them a bit. I don't find their programming very interesting or entertaining. OTOH, I DO find Discovery HD Theater very entertaining. As well as HD Net. Even so, I would not advise people "YOU MUST GET THE DISH HD PACKAGE !!!!" since I realize that not everyone is like me. Diff. strokes for diff. folks. And so on.

Harry said:
Granted, the price is good but add on the HD Package fee you must have to get the 811 so, 9.99 x 12 + 149 and it comes out to about $270. Getting competative at this point.

Figuring your way, you get a year of HDnet/Movies, Discover HD for free :D

AcuraCL said:
Well Harry, that would be useful advice for people who are exactly like you. Not everyone is. I, for example, have not watched CBS (nor ABC, NBC, FOX, or PBS) since 1997 and have not missed them a bit. I don't find their programming very interesting or entertaining. OTOH, I DO find Discovery HD Theater very entertaining. As well as HD Net. Even so, I would not advise people "YOU MUST GET THE DISH HD PACKAGE !!!!" since I realize that not everyone is like me. Diff. strokes for diff. folks. And so on.

Understand not everyone is the same, but I would venture that most, unlike you, do watch ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. I agree with you that HDNet and DiscoveryHD are pretty good, but they get repetative like HBO does. $10 a month for 4 channels is just not a good deal. If E* were to increase the number of stations or lower the fee to $5 like they do for locals, then it would be reasonable. As it is now, it is over priced.

All I am saying is the hastle with the 811 "bugs" on top of the lack of programming does not make this a very good deal.

I think it's worth it, heck, just watching The Real Cancun in HD 4 times over the last 2 weeks was worth the $9.99. I don't subscribe to any SD packs except my locals and they totally suck PQ wise. The only thing they're good for is the guide data.

I still have the HD package, and intend to keep it. I enjoy lost of Discovery HD, and HDNet. Everyone once in awhile, I like one of the HDNet Movies. And do watch ESPN HD, especially if an HD event is one. While I find the stretch of "normal" ESPN HD annoying, I find that the picture is clearer on ESPN HD, than on just plain ESPN (channel 140)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts