HD picture quality worsening?

hvarma2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Johnston, IA
I have noticed for the last few weeks that the HD picture quality is not what it used to be. In fact, it looks like wide screen SD, no matter what channel I flip to. SD is still the same and quite good in some cases even better looking than HD depending on individual channel compression I assume. Now my question is, could it be something with the receiver or my SONY Rear LCD Projection TV ( like DLP). Unless other folks have noticed HD Lite becoming HD Liter in the last few weeks.

Nope. Sure you don't have it on stretch mode or zoom, etc. rather than normal for the HD channels? How old is your TV and have you ever changed the bulb?

S~

Said it yourself

I have noticed for the last few weeks that the HD picture quality is not what it used to be. In fact, it looks like wide screen SD, no matter what channel I flip to. SD is still the same and quite good in some cases even better looking than HD depending on individual channel compression I assume. Now my question is, could it be something with the receiver or my SONY Rear LCD Projection TV ( like DLP). Unless other folks have noticed HD Lite becoming HD Liter in the last few weeks.

You've got a rear LCD projection TV. Have you notice it seem to be less bright? Sounds like the light engine is may be going bad or the mirror getting dingy.

Check to make sure your HD output is set to 720p or 1080i. On more than one occasion, I have found that new software sets it down to 420p.

I have not noticed on my 50"panny, but Ive really stopped caring so much on sat programs. Really only get excited with OTA and blu-ray, because they still look great.

I was wondering if it was only me, but it looks like others have noticed a decrease in quality over the past few weeks as well.

What's the deal??? Are we now in the HD-lite-lite stage? :)

I was wondering if it was only me, but it looks like others have noticed a decrease in quality over the past few weeks as well.

What's the deal??? Are we now in the HD-lite-lite stage? :)

Just you and the OP. Check your settings.

Haven't noticed any difference here either. Like stated previously, check your HD output setting... (Menu 6-7 or Menu-6-8 depending on what receiver you have)

No settings changed.

I agree that the picture appears more compressed.

It's interesting that the OP also said that he's noticed it in the past few weeks as that's about the same time frame for me. I was actually going to post something about two weeks ago with the same question.

Samsung 52" LCD.

It's a shame...Dish Networks fields the best HD DVRs yet they are bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to their HD picture quality: Comcast was better (in my old area), DirecTV is better, and FiOS TV leaves DishHD-Lite looking like a barnacle encrusted anchor. It's a double-shame because they used to offer eye-popping (as opposed to eye-pooping) HD until they started watering-down VOOM HD and subsequently their entire HD lineup post October 2006 to the point Mark Cuban had to say something. It's a triple-shame that my three award-winning 622s are sitting in a closet because there are far-better HD quality offerings available.

To be honest, I am letting my renters use one of my 622s and USB drive because it's not doing me any good right now. These people certainly aren't HD (or even TV) buffs, but both the husband and wife could tell the difference between the digital locals from my two OTA antennas and that which was being pawned-off as HD by Dish Network.

I was never dissatisfied with the number of Dish Network HD channels, but their TurboHD can be better...much better.

I thought History HD looked unusually noisy a few days ago, a decrease in PQ on a brand new show and all subsequent shows aired on History HD. Then I switched to HDNET and it look as great as always. Then I changed to several HD channles and I noticed the same noise or decrease in HD PQ on a number of HD channels, but not all. Some still looked great.

Has Dish started putting 8 or more HD channels on a single transponder? I know they are going to cram as much as can be tolerated.

As someone who has just switched from DirecTV, I can firmly say that Dish's HD PQ is on par with DirecTV. Neither one is better than the other. However SD on Dish is far superior than that on DirecTV. I am pointed to the eastern arc if that matters.

I thought History HD looked unusually noisy a few days ago, a decrease in PQ on a brand new show and all subsequent shows aired on History HD. Then I switched to HDNET and it look as great as always. Then I changed to several HD channles and I noticed the same noise or decrease in HD PQ on a number of HD channels, but not all. Some still looked great.

Has Dish started putting 8 or more HD channels on a single transponder? I know they are going to cram as much as can be tolerated.

Certain channels seem washed out abit lately. The real test is when you compare OTA HD to E* feed of local hd's. Most of the time they are pretty equal.

Now the Tech Chat the other night; was one of the worse pictures I have ever seen on E*. Then to top it off, the nightly rain fade we have been experiencing with these crazy weather we have had here in WNY. I have had more rain fade in the last two weeks than I have had in 6 years E*.

Last night, I just ran "Check Switch" on my VIP 622 and went through all the test and re-initialization process. Guess what? The picture quality on the HD channels improved remarkably! This sounds unscientific, but it is true. The washed out picture on the HD channels went away. I know it does not make sense, but it worked!

I don't know about the past few weeks, but picture quality has gotten worse compared to last year, seems concurrent with all the new HD channel additions. I am definitely seeing that static/still shots look ok (for 1280x1080), but as soon as the camera begins a slow pan the sharpness just dies (almost looks SD). Now we not only have high-motion macroblocking, we have low-motion blur.

This is not "my setup". OTA on my 722 looks perfect and bluray is glorious. I only see this on Sat HD channels. I cannot get FIOS but I am going to try Comcast because the quality on Sat HD is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)