HD picture quality worsening?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As someone who has just switched from DirecTV, I can firmly say that Dish's HD PQ is on par with DirecTV. Neither one is better than the other. However SD on Dish is far superior than that on DirecTV. I am pointed to the eastern arc if that matters.

I agree with you that the SD quality is much better than DirecTV. Some SD channels on DirecTV looked almost like YouTube feeds.
HD seems to be about the same for me, except I think that my locals may have been a bit sharper on DirecTV. The 722K is worth the switch though, and I am looking foreward to the 922.

I agree with you that the SD quality is much better than DirecTV. Some SD channels on DirecTV looked almost like YouTube feeds.
HD seems to be about the same for me, except I think that my locals may have been a bit sharper on DirecTV. The 722K is worth the switch though, and I am looking foreward to the 922.

Chiller is one of my favorite channels and Chiller looked completely washed out on D* while on E* it is much more vibrant and full of color. And the black looks black, not a dark shade of gray like on D*. And the 722K is definitely worth the switch on it's own.

Chiller is one of my favorite channels and Chiller looked completely washed out on D* while on E* it is much more vibrant and full of color. And the black looks black, not a dark shade of gray like on D*. And the 722K is definitely worth the switch on it's own.

If you are suggesting the PQ of 722K is better than 722, I can't agree. Just upgraded and no difference to my eyes.

Were't you with Dish before you were with DTV? I was, and at that time I was at 110,119,129. I find that the Eastern Arc SD channels look better than I remember the WA SD channels looking, even though I understand that the EA SD channels are broadcast at 480x480 while WA in MPEG-2 are at a slightly higher resolution.

I've been thinking the picture looks better lately but then again I haven't been watching it a lot. Either way when I do I'm very happy with the picture quality.

Were't you with Dish before you were with DTV? I was, and at that time I was at 110,119,129. I find that the Eastern Arc SD channels look better than I remember the WA SD channels looking, even though I understand that the EA SD channels are broadcast at 480x480 while WA in MPEG-2 are at a slightly higher resolution.

Yes I was. It was over two years ago and I was with Dish for 3 years I think. I was pointed to the WA with no problems. Within that time, I had upgraded to HD and my installer said that 129 was "iffy" for me since it was so low in the sky. But I never had any signal drop-outs. I had the 722 then and the 722K now. I don't remember much difference in PQ between the two except with SD which looks better (again, on EA now).

Last night, I just ran "Check Switch" on my VIP 622 and went through all the test and re-initialization process. Guess what? The picture quality on the HD channels improved remarkably! This sounds unscientific, but it is true. The washed out picture on the HD channels went away. I know it does not make sense, but it worked!

That makes no sense at all. I think you are only seeing what you want to see. A check switch has nothing to do with changing picture quality.

I've been thinking the picture looks better lately but then again I haven't been watching it a lot. Either way when I do I'm very happy with the picture quality.

We heard you the first time.;)
Haha, and a few hours apart at that

Last night, I just ran "Check Switch" on my VIP 622 and went through all the test and re-initialization process. Guess what? The picture quality on the HD channels improved remarkably! This sounds unscientific, but it is true. The washed out picture on the HD channels went away. I know it does not make sense, but it worked!

Impossible. You are imagining it. Check switch will not improve PQ. There is something else you did.

As someone who has just switched from DirecTV, I can firmly say that Dish's HD PQ is on par with DirecTV. Neither one is better than the other. However SD on Dish is far superior than that on DirecTV. I am pointed to the eastern arc if that matters.

I too noticed that sd channels look better on Eastern arc vs western arc. Hd looked slightly better to me on Directv when I had it a year or so ago , but not enough to make that much difference to me. Besides the directv receivers sucked in comparison to DISH's vip series of hd dvr receivers.

I don't know what you have been watching. D* is SIGNIFICANTLY better than E* in terms of PQ. Granted, I have a 110" screen, but the noise on the E* HD channels pushed me to D*. I have yet to see any of the issues on D* that I saw every day on E*.

Yes I was. It was over two years ago and I was with Dish for 3 years I think. I was pointed to the WA with no problems. Within that time, I had upgraded to HD and my installer said that 129 was "iffy" for me since it was so low in the sky. But I never had any signal drop-outs. I had the 722 then and the 722K now. I don't remember much difference in PQ between the two except with SD which looks better (again, on EA now).

When I left E* about a year ago (last July 29th, to be exact) the PQ had gone down significantly. D* HD channels were significantly more vibrant, the picture really popped. I have a few friends with E* and large TV's like mine, and all of them notice the PQ difference between the E* and D*. D* definitely has a better PQ right now.

Hd looked slightly better to me on Directv when I had it a year or so ago , but not enough to make that much difference to me. Besides the directv receivers sucked in comparison to DISH's vip series of hd dvr receivers.

There is no doubt that E*'s hardware is better. MUCH BETTER. But (sounding like a broken record), PQ is not even close if you have a very large TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)