HD Picture Quality

yes they do have all of that. I guess i was maybe used to Comcast HD.
I suppose HD-Lite is true with Dish. Hope they change this in the near future. I just prefer PQ .

This is a silly thread. Nolan 1 is either someone who just doesn't like Dish or this a troll.

His description of what he is "seeing" on his 58"(?!?) Pany Plasma is simply not credible.

And on the slimmest of slim chance Nolan 1 is sincere he has the worst luck of any Dish customer in the country.

Nolan 1: Call Dish and request a tech make a house call. It won't take him 5 minutes to figure out your problem. And whatever it costs, it will be worth it the first day you get to enjoy a perfect picture. Also a lot people reading this thread would really like to know what could cause the picture you describe.

Last edited:
This is a silly thread. Nolan 1 is either someone who just doesn't like Dish or this a troll.

His description of what he is "seeing" on his 58"(?!?) Pany Plasma is simply not credible.

And on the slimmest of slim chance Nolan 1 is sincere he has the worst luck of any Dish customer in the country.

Nolan 1: Call Dish and request a tech make a house call. It won't take him 5 minutes to figure out your problem. And whatever it costs, it will be worth it the first day you get to enjoy a perfect picture. Also a lot people reading this thread would really like to know what could cause the picture you describe.

First of all im not a Dish hatter or a troll.
Im new to Dish I just got it a week ago and have seen my picture quality drop. Also HD picture get fuzzy and Pixelated.
I talked to a tech on line for about an hour and he was the dumbest person I ever talked to. I knew more then him.
All that im saying is I had Comcast before I got Dish Comcast HD looked better to me, but Dish's SD looks better.
I just was looking for some good input or advice.

I came to the conclusion that I think i was just used to the HD picture quality of Comcast, and thats why Dish HD looks a tad worse. I will be keeping Dish because of the cheaper price and more channels I watch.

Besides steve4810, you all have been very helpful and considerate about my problem.
Thanks
Bruce

Besides steve4810, you all have been very helpful and considerate about my problem.
Thanks
Bruce

You're entirely welcome.

Good luck and please keep us posted because Dish HD is the best picture on cable or satellite. Only OTA HD is better and then by only a little.

Dish doesn't carry my locals in HD, so I don't know how they look. But I can tell you that Dish is running 4 HD locals per carrier, whereas the local Comcast system is only running 2. On the other hand, Dish's other HD channels all look fine to me, and I think they have at least that many per carrier for them too (at least the MPEG-4 ones.) (On the third hand, my screen is a lot smaller than the original poster's.)

Regarding SD channels, most of Dish's, and especially the locals, look severely compressed compared to a good clean analog cable signal. But while I still had SD digital cable, their compression was as bad on some channels and much worse on others, even on an analog screen!

nolan 1, would you post a few pictures from your 58" plasma screen with before mentioned problems ?

i have no means to do that. basically like i said before the HD looks good on some channels, great on some, poor on most.

fuzzy, grainy

I don't trust words when it come to PQ description.
You could ask ppl here who live close to you for verify SS numbers.

I was told SS #'s dont mater you either get the signal or you dont?

Besides that all my SS #' are in the 50's -60's add about 30 to that due to the new signal strength software. doesnt anybody else here find there HD grainy maybe because Dish HD is downgraded or downrezzed?

Nolan -

Tune to Dish channels 6478 and then 6479 (when they have real HD content, which is probably 7pm - 12:30am or so).

Then tune to Dish channels 9477 and then 9470 and then 9425.

How do the first two compare to the last three ?

Which Panasonic 58" plasma do you own? The 720p model with 1366x768 resolution, or the high end 1080p model with 1920x1080 resolution?

The 58" 1080p model is on my "consideration" list for next year. But if I go that way, I don't know how I could stand to watch DishHD on it. That incredible set will highlight every flaw, and there are a lot of flaws in E*'s overly compressed and down-rezzed HD.

Which Panasonic 58" plasma do you own? The 720p model with 1366x768 resolution, or the high end 1080p model with 1920x1080 resolution?

The 58" 1080p model is on my "consideration" list for next year. But if I go that way, I don't know how I could stand to watch DishHD on it. That incredible set will highlight every flaw, and there are a lot of flaws in E*'s overly compressed and down-rezzed HD.

Its the TH-58Px60U

Technical Details

• 58-inch HD-ready plasma TV; Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD slot
  • Integrated NTSC, ATSC tuners; QAM tuner compatible with unscrambled HDTV cable reception
  • 1366 x 768-pixel resolution; 10000:1 contrast ratio; motion adaptive 3D Y/C comb filter
  • Connections: 3 composite A/V (1 front), 3 S-Video (1 front), 2 component (Y/Pb/Pr), 2 HDMI, 1 PC RGB, 1 SC memory card slot
  • Two stereo speakers, 10 watts apiece (20 watts total); BBE ViVA HD3D virtual surround sound

I would try setting the 211's HD output to 720p and then 1080i and compare the pictures. Technically, one would expect the 720p setting to be better, as that matches the native resolution of your TV. However it is possible that your TV is better at converting 1080i to 720 than the 211 is. And if so, then the 1080i output setting could result in a better picture on those channels which transmit in 1080i, which is many of them.

I believe the 211's default HD resolution is 480i, which is terrible on a good HD set. So if this is still at the factory setting, then you won't like what you are seeing.

Having your TV calibrated correctly is another factor. Settings which are overly bright or vivid tend to make a picture look fuzzier. The temperature setting on the TV should be set to movie/cinema or normal, not vivid. The sharpness setting should be low, you'll get edge distortion if it gets too high.

Nolan -

Tune to Dish channels 6478 and then 6479 (when they have real HD content, which is probably 7pm - 12:30am or so).

Then tune to Dish channels 9477 and then 9470 and then 9425.

How do the first two compare to the last three ?

The 6478 and 6479 are my locals which are in HD right now and actually almost unwatchable to me. 9477 looks a little better but still has a little grainy and 9470 and 9425 are more grainy and choppy.

REport the poor picture quality to DishQuality@echostar.com.

Dish has a devil of a time tuning the signal sent from every different station that it uplinks, and I'm sure they would be glad to know that the Pittsburgh link needs improvement.

They are not in the business of providing a poor HD picture to customers.

If 9477 looks grainy, then either your set needs to be adjusted (as Tom Bombadil mentioned), or you are sitting too close, or you are looking for artifacts rather than watching the program. 9477 is sitting in a half-empty transponder, so it gets quite a bit more bitrate (at the moment) than most other channels. There should not be any problems with that channel.

Digital video is designed to look good, as long as you watch the program and not the channel. In all digital video, 99% of the picture is thrown out, and what remains is just an optical illusion. If you "look behind the curtain", you will see stuff - but only if you look...

Not so sure about that. A good TV is a good TV. You can tweak it and find a way to make it work well with most any service. If not, then it's not all that great of a set.

Edit- know what dude? I have been reading your posts for a while. You don't like Dish. Why not leave it? Try something else. You have a lot of 'the grass is greener' posts. By that I mean you obviously think there is a better service beyond what you are getting from Dish. Is it DirecTV? Cable? Why not give those a try? I am not trying to bust chops at all so don't take it that way. But your misery from E* is apparent. Why not change to whatever it is you have heard is better?

Not so sure about that. A good TV is a good TV. You can tweak it and find a way to make it work well with most any service. If not, then it's not all that great of a set.

Edit- know what dude? I have been reading your posts for a while. You don't like Dish. Why not leave it? Try something else. You have a lot of 'the grass is greener' posts. By that I mean you obviously think there is a better service beyond what you are getting from Dish. Is it DirecTV? Cable? Why not give those a try? I am not trying to bust chops at all so don't take it that way. But your misery from E* is apparent. Why not change to whatever it is you have heard is better?

i want to give Dish a chance, I like the programing and HD channel lineup.
And the price. I will give dish a call today and a tech come out to see if they can improve my picture.

My TV is tweaked to the best, like I said before I never had this problem before, and the day dish was installed HD looked great. but it has been going down hill since then. I was watching my local HD channels last night and it was almost unwatchable. The picture would break up a little, especially during fast scene changes. I could see lines through the whole picture and looked worse the a SD feed at some points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)