HD pix qual D* vs E*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
I am a big fan of E*, have had them for 10+ years and wouldn't change. However, I did notice recently that on our 2 42 LCDs in our office, 1 running an E* 722 and the other a D* HR23, that D* HD quality was a lot better. Any chance E* might do something to catch up with D* in that department? I am surprised that D* isn't using it in advertisements, it was a fairly big difference. FWIW they are both hooked up w/HDMI.

Brad

Here we go again,I'm a E* HD customer and think they do a good job with HD but the facts are D* has Ka band satellites and a truck load of capacity to do HD better.

I just switched to Direct from Dish after 12 years yesterday and I noticed right away the HD picture was much sharper on Direct, especially on the baseball games.

Any chance E* might do something to catch up with D* in that department? I am surprised that D* isn't using it in advertisements, it was a fairly big difference. FWIW they are both hooked up w/HDMI.

Brad
The problem starts from E* cramming as many HD channels as they can on a Transponder just to have the number 1 HD channel count.
That seems to be more important to them then Picture Quaility.

So once they stop cramming and start spreading them out to, say to 4 or 5 per TP instead or the average 6-8 that E* loves.

The general consensus is D* better HD E* better SD. I would love it if one day we just woke up and suddenly E* converted all those MPEG2 SD channels into MPEG4, essentially halving the bandwidth they need, and making room for higher bitrate HD and/or more channels.

That being said, their current HD PQ offering is good enough for me, and still MUCH better than AT&T's U-verse HD. They also have a lot more channels in HD that I like, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice them for a PQ upgrade. If I want super-duper HD I'll just play some BD-Videos on my PS3. Beats the everlasting pants off of ANY television provider.

yeah! another "I think DTV is better than Dish" thread... :facepalm

Read the original post again. I like E* better than D*, but it is a fact that D*s HD quality is better. My point was I hope E* might be able to improve their quality. I may be wrong but I believe KA band is lower power and has less capacity than the standard high power satellites (101, 110, 119, 129 etc) I am not talking about opinions here, just facts.

Brad

The general consensus is D* better HD E* better SD. I would love it if one day we just woke up and suddenly E* converted all those MPEG2 SD channels into MPEG4, essentially halving the bandwidth they need, and making room for higher bitrate HD and/or more channels.

Eastern Arc is all Mpeg4.

So Half E* customers are watching Mpeg 4 SD.

It not as noticable of a difference as you might think.;)

Its Mpeg 4 Eastern Arc 480x480.
Western Arc Mpeg 2 is 540x480.
Remember its still SD

Remember its still SD

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I gather you are talking about the PQ of SD. I wasn't talking about the PQ of SD, nor the resolution. I was talking about the bitrate required for the SD. MPEG4 generally needs half the bandwidth of MPEG2 to produce the same PQ, thus converting the MPEG2 streams into MPEG4 would free up more bandwidth for HD channels, or more channels in general.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I gather you are talking about the PQ of SD. I wasn't talking about the PQ of SD, nor the resolution. I was talking about the bitrate required for the SD. MPEG4 generally needs half the bandwidth of MPEG2 to produce the same PQ, thus converting the MPEG2 streams into MPEG4 would free up more bandwidth for HD channels, or more channels in general.
What I'm telling you is All the Dish Network HD channels are MPEG 4 right now.

All the Eastern arc Customer that have a 1000.4 Dish Setup Have full MPEG 4 Service right now.

So Not really sure what you want, Western Arc to Be Mpeg 4?

So Not really sure what you want, Western Arc to Be Mpeg 4?

Bingo.

I never mentioned HD being MPEG2. I do know that all of DISH Network's HD is now MPEG4. However, on the western arc, bandwidth is being wasted by MPEG2 SD. If all of the SD was converted to MPEG4, they would need half the bandwidth they currently use, thus freeing up bandwidth for higher bitrate on the MPEG4 HD channels, or just adding more SD/HD/whatever channels in general, but preferably higher PQ on HD.

Bingo.

If all of the SD was converted to MPEG4, they would need half the bandwidth they currently use, thus freeing up bandwidth for higher bitrate on the MPEG4 HD channels, or just adding more SD/HD/whatever channels in general, but preferably higher PQ on HD.
That won't happen in the near future, Since Dish would have to upgrade the millions of SD only subscribers to VIP receivers.

Thus the "I would love it if" statement.
Many would,
But E* recent history shows they like to charge customers even for forced upgrades.
Customers don't like that.
Ask all the 110/119/61.5 customers who were forced to go eastern or western arc just to receive all the HD channels that E* stuck on the 72.5 and 129 ONLY.:)

Many would,
But E* recent history shows they like to charge customers even for forced upgrades.
Customers don't like that.
Ask all the 110/119/61.5 customers who were forced to go eastern or western arc just to receive all the HD channels that E* stuck on the 72.5 and 129 ONLY.:)

Thank you, captain obvious.

yeah! another "I think DTV is better than Dish" thread... :facepalm
Nahhh...Just a Direct PQ is better than Dish PQ, which is probably true. Of course there are many things in which Dish is better than Direct, such as number of HD channels, most of their equipment, and price.

Now the HD

Remember its still SD

Now show the HD tween the 2 and the bit-rates plus the fact that it takes less bandwidth to do the same p q in MPEG 4 as it does to do it in MPEG 2 which D* still uses. Now the EA is a bit better PQ than the WA w/ the bit rates & the MPEG 2 that is still used for a bunch of the HD.

Remember its still SD

Why there at it with downresing why don't they just go to 120x120 and then blow that up in the STB. That will really look good :eek:. When will these jerks learn you can only take so much away and then it suffers. But tell that to the bean counters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)