HD pricing and the future

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I have a very general question regarding the HD pricing on Dish. I presently have AT60 for $29.95 month and NYC locals for $8.99 month. Reading their pricing structure to get the SAME level of programming plus my locals will cost $55.00 per month or an increase of about 16.00 per month. So my basic question is, since analog TV is going away in February 2009 and EVERYONE must convert over by then in effect Dish Network is imposing a large price increase for EVERYONE by 2009, which in my case would be 41 percent. Any comments on this? And please don't say it's the extra cost for the satellites etc. These guys knew it (HD) was coming. Same excuse for the NYC locals. The number 1 market in the US and it takes them YEARS to get transmitters back online. After Sept 2001. If it was a new reality show (rebuild the HD transmitters) they'd have it up in 3 months. I am paying VERY CLOSE attention to Verizon/FIOS application to the Town of Hempstead's (Nassau Cty NY) for FIOS service on April 4.

Actually Broadcasters are only required to switch from analog to digital. DBS has always been digital. Digital does not mean that it will be HD. HD is only part of the digtal broadcast standards. Currently many stations are broadcasting on their subchannels in digital, but it is not HD. For example, my CBSHD is on 13.1 and their digtal signal is on 13.2 but it is still 480 at 4:3.

THere is no way that all networks will be HD in 2009. Locals might be, but networks like USA, Nick, etc. won't.

There will be a converter box available to switch the digital back to analog for those with older sets. The government will be allowing each household 2 $40 certificates for the boxes.

As for the increase of $16. That is for the addition of the HD channels. Currently there are 25 with more coming. The HD pack on its own is 19.95. So that would be a savings of $4.

Scot6t

The end of analog does not equate to people forced to get HD from dish. In fact people that have dish now wont have to worry about or do a thing. The only people in 2009 that have to do something to still receive TV are those who only have Analog OTA for TV. Anyone who has cable or satellite doesn't have to do a thing.

BFG said:
The end of analog does not equate to people forced to get HD from dish. In fact people that have dish now wont have to worry about or do a thing. The only people in 2009 that have to do something to still receive TV are those who only have Analog OTA for TV. Anyone who has cable or satellite doesn't have to do a thing.

I think you might be missing my point. Based upon past history myDish bill might be something like $45.00 by 2009. Right NOW it would go to $55.00, so in effect, for giving you "new technology" you are paying a very high increase, and anyone jumping over in 2009 will get a nice surprise. As far as the downconvert boxes....HDTV's will be so cheap (27 inch or less) by then, who's gonna buy them except for some diehard Luddites.

teachsac said:
Actually Broadcasters are only required to switch from analog to digital. DBS has always been digital. Digital does not mean that it will be HD. HD is only part of the digtal broadcast standards. Currently many stations are broadcasting on their subchannels in digital, but it is not HD. For example, my CBSHD is on 13.1 and their digtal signal is on 13.2 but it is still 480 at 4:3.

THere is no way that all networks will be HD in 2009. Locals might be, but networks like USA, Nick, etc. won't.

There will be a converter box available to switch the digital back to analog for those with older sets. The government will be allowing each household 2 $40 certificates for the boxes.

As for the increase of $16. That is for the addition of the HD channels. Currently there are 25 with more coming. The HD pack on its own is 19.95. So that would be a savings of $4.

Scot6t

My CBSHD has been 1080i from day one. I saw it when they did the 1st HD broadcast of the NY Jets in 1997 I think. The OTA guys will HAVE to be off analog. As for the HD pack I dont get it....please elaborate...where's my $4.00 savings and what do I get for it?

"My CBSHD has been 1080i from day one."

Correct. CBSHD is 1080i. However, many stations have a second subchannel (in my case 13.2) that broadcasts the digital signal that will be required by 2009. It is still SD (480; 4x3). Broadcasters will not be required to provide HD just a digital signal.

Perhaps we are not understanding how you go from the $29.99 AT60 price to $45. AT60 is guaranteed through January 2008. It is highly unlikely that dish will raise their price in a year. That has not been their pratice for price increases.

"As for the HD pack I dont get it"

There are 25 HD channels that are additional in the metallic packs; Some are the same as the SD versions, but most are unique to HD.

There are currently 15 VOOM original channels, TNTHD, DiscoveryHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN, ESPN2, UniversalHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, and special Events (PPV).

teachsac said:
"My CBSHD has been 1080i from day one."

Correct. CBSHD is 1080i. However, many stations have a second subchannel (in my case 13.2) that broadcasts the digital signal that will be required by 2009. It is still SD (480; 4x3). Broadcasters will not be required to provide HD just a digital signal.

Perhaps we are not understanding how you go from the $29.99 AT60 price to $45. AT60 is guaranteed through January 2008. It is highly unlikely that dish will raise their price in a year. That has not been their pratice for price increases.

"As for the HD pack I dont get it"

There are 25 HD channels that are additional in the metallic packs; Some are the same as the SD versions, but most are unique to HD.

There are currently 15 VOOM original channels, TNTHD, DiscoveryHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN, ESPN2, UniversalHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, and special Events (PPV).

OK....I'll break it down..

AT60 + locals $38.00 month (I have 2 other receivers w analog TVs)
HD bronze + locals $55.00 month
17.00 increase

So, if they're not raising AT60 till 2008 I'll be paying 17.00 EXTRA to watch the SAME THING I watch today. Let's just talk ONLY satellite users. People who are committed to Dish satellite for the near future (5+ years) will get a substantial increase in Feb 2009 to get what they had that day.

MW390 said:
OK....I'll break it down..

AT60 + locals $38.00 month (I have 2 other receivers w analog TVs)
HD bronze + locals $55.00 month
17.00 increase

So, if they're not raising AT60 till 2008 I'll be paying 17.00 EXTRA to watch the SAME THING I watch today. Let's just talk ONLY satellite users. People who are committed to Dish satellite for the near future (5+ years) will get a substantial increase in Feb 2009 to get what they had that day.

No you are still not getting it, unless you are upgrading to the new Mpeg4 HD receivers you can keep your AT60 w/locals, (which should be $29.99 + 5.00 = $34.99 + 5.00 x 2 extra receivers = $44.99 and not the price you posted), until at least Feb 2008 and even after that will not likely have more then a $1 - 3 price increase. If and only if you want to upgrade to HD satellite equipment will your bill go to $54.99 w/locals + $5.00 x 2 extra receivers for $64.99, and then as others have tried to tell you, you will be getting 22 and more to come HD channels that you are currently NOT getting with AT60. :)

Thanks Chris.

continuing on. Both satellite providers (D* and E*) already transmit a digital signal. The STB then converts it to analog for your TV. Since satellite ALREADY transmits in digital the digital law to take effect in 2009 does not apply.

The converters that the government will be requiring will basically do the same thing as the DBS boxes do for people that receive OTA.

Most Cable companies already have a digital tier. They will just eliminate the analog tier. Their boxes do the same thing convert the difital signal for the analog TV.

You are not getting the same thing with the bronze pack as the AT60. You are getting 22-25 additional channels. Some like TNT are the same programming as the SD version. VOOM, Universal are unique channels that you can not get with the AT packs.

Remember:

Digital DOES NOT equal High Definition.

teachsac said:
Most Cable companies already have a digital tier. They will just eliminate the analog tier. Their boxes do the same thing convert the difital signal for the analog TV.
Cable TV will still be analog/digital into the unforseen future, only OTA has to change from analog to digital in 2009. Cable companies will be converting to digital so they can squeeze more channels into the same bandwidth, but it is ENTIRELY voluntary.

I currently have AT60 w/locals and the HD package for a monthly total (before taxes) of $44.98. If I go to the BronzeHD w/locals my new amount will be $54.99 for a difference of $10. Then on top of that I'll have the lease fee of $6/month, right? So my new price will be $16 more and I'll be adding Voom, ESPN2HD, UniversalHD and whatever HDs they add in the future (my locals are not in HD yet). Do I have all this correct?

I daresay most if not all cablecos would shift to digital today if they were allowed. But then the analog TVs would not allow direct cable input for many of their channels and a STB would be required.

Chris Freeland said:
No you are still not getting it, unless you are upgrading to the new Mpeg4 HD receivers you can keep your AT60 w/locals, (which should be $29.99 + 5.00 = $34.99 + 5.00 x 2 extra receivers = $44.99 and not the price you posted), until at least Feb 2008 and even after that will not likely have more then a $1 - 3 price increase. If and only if you want to upgrade to HD satellite equipment will your bill go to $54.99 w/locals + $5.00 x 2 extra receivers for $64.99, and then as others have tried to tell you, you will be getting 22 and more to come HD channels that you are currently NOT getting with AT60. :)

OK....I get the idea. One change AT60 = $29.99 + $8.99 for locals + 2 x $5 = 48.98 + $22.99 for HBO/Showtime = 71.97. Now suppose I get a MPEG4 receiver and keep everything else the same what do you estimate it'll cost?

MW390 said:
OK....I get the idea. One change AT60 = $29.99 + $8.99 for locals + 2 x $5 = 48.98 + $22.99 for HBO/Showtime = 71.97. Now suppose I get a MPEG4 receiver and keep everything else the same what do you estimate it'll cost?

Why $8.99 for locals? Are you receiving two distant feeds on top of the regular $5 charge for locals?

Chrisc490 said:
Why $8.99 for locals? Are you receiving two distant feeds on top of the regular $5 charge for locals?

Nope - I looked at it just today online. $8.99 NYC local channels

teachsac said:
Thanks Chris.

continuing on. Both satellite providers (D* and E*) already transmit a digital signal. The STB then converts it to analog for your TV. Since satellite ALREADY transmits in digital the digital law to take effect in 2009 does not apply.

The converters that the government will be requiring will basically do the same thing as the DBS boxes do for people that receive OTA.

If cable companies choose to, they can continue serving out analog service as long as they want to. The digital transition only specifically applies to OTA channels. The converters that some folks will be getting will simply convert the digital signal to an analog one, similar to a cable box or satellite box does now.

The .2 channels will not be required to be there for non-HD, the converter boxes will downrez the .1 HD channel to an analog SD signal. Your cable boxes and satellite boxes do the exact same thing now. I've watched my HD channels on a non-HD box many times (just amusing myself :) ) and they show up just fine.

MW390 said:

Something I've been trying to calculate as well (minus the premiums). There will be some difference if you BUY a receiver vs. LEASING it. Let's assume the latter:

Upfront "upgrade" fee = $49 for the 211 (I think some are getting this back as a credit towards programming).

Monthly => BronzeHD @ 49.99 + locals @ 5.99 + Superstations @ 3.00 + premiums @ 22.99 + lease fee @ 6.00 + 2 extra rcvrs @ 5.00 ea. = (cha-ching!!) $97.97 plus taxes.

You'll be able to also receive the 2 permium HDs as well for a now-current total of 25 HDs plus whatever of your locals are in HD. So in your case it's about a 36% increase, but look what you're getting for that difference. Only you can decide if it's worth it...

PS - You will also have an 18-month commitment on the lease deal...

PPS - You might want to consider dropping the LiLs in favor of the OTA alternative to save a few $$, and that will likely get you better picture quality than from E* on those channels, but if you don't subscribe to LiL then you won't find the programming information for those channels in your guide.

Last edited:
"The converters that some folks will be getting will simply convert the digital signal to an analog one, similar to a cable box or satellite box does now."

That's what I said.

"The .2 channels will not be required to be there for non-HD"

Never said they were. I only said that ONE of my stations broadcasts their digital non-HD signal on the second subchannel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)