HD quality of last night's Cardinals game (against the Dodgers)

STL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Did anyone else notice how utterly bad the supposed HD picture was for this broadcast? I guess all the new HD home shopping channels (like QVC) are eating up bandwidth. :mad:

It was a bad feed. FoxMW are always like that. Has nothing to do with adding QVc HD, which isn't even available yet.
There was a lot more macroblocking going on that I've seen in other Cardinals games on FoxSports MW HD earlier this season. It sure looks like they are playing games with the bitrate. Just because QVC HD isn't yet available, doesn't mean DISH isn't already doing some "test squeezing" of existing HD channels.

The bigger issue was the quality of the Dodgers play. That was probably their worst game, not only this year, but in many years. It was pathetic to watch.

Anyway, The game looked good on KCAL 9, here in LA.

Anyone know if I'll be able to see the Astros everynight with Turbo HD Silver
That's the other issue with DISH....their HD RSNs (regional sports networks) are not full time like they are on D*. So even if your game is being broadcast in HD on a RSN, DISH might not be showing it. It's a total crapshoot too -- you never really know until gametime.

It looked a heck of a lot better than it does when they don't broadcast it in HD!!!!!! Maybe something to do with the weather as there were a lot of storms in the area.

I don't think they have the HD cameras in Dodger stadium

Yeah they got them. Recent games from Dodger Stadium looked great in HD. Keep in mind, L.A. is home for the Fox Sports Networks (I believe it serves as Master Control for all Fox RSN's) and all Fox Sports. Oh yeah, Ruppie is sure to have HD cameras feeding back to the Fox lot (20th Century Fox) in west L.A. It's how they experiment.

Well now I just sound like and idiot...
Anyone know if I'll be able to see the Astros everynight with Turbo HD Silver

Nearly all the Astros games are on FS-H, the others are on local TV, you can look at the schedule on the Astros website for specifics.

I do not see FSN-Houston on Dish, only FSN-Southwest which carries both Astros and Rangers games.

Yeah they got them. Recent games from Dodger Stadium looked great in HD. Keep in mind, L.A. is home for the Fox Sports Networks (I believe it serves as Master Control for all Fox RSN's) and all Fox Sports. Oh yeah, Ruppie is sure to have HD cameras feeding back to the Fox lot (20th Century Fox) in west L.A. It's how they experiment.

master control for Fox RSN's is in Houston. remember Hurricane Rita in 05 caused all FSN games to not be shown for nearly a week because Houston went into panic mode and evacuated everyone....

anyway the HD issue is always on Fox sports MW deal. could be because of having to share stuff with STL, KC and Indianapolis. Don't know but SD looked pretty compressed too last night.

master control for Fox RSN's is in Houston. remember Hurricane Rita in 05 caused all FSN games to not be shown for nearly a week because Houston went into panic mode and evacuated everyone....

anyway the HD issue is always on Fox sports MW deal. could be because of having to share stuff with STL, KC and Indianapolis. Don't know but SD looked pretty compressed too last night.

Hmm, then the nice young man who gave me the tour lied (there are no public tours of which I am aware, so don't bother to show up there). Actually, I do stand corrected, but so do you:

From Wikepdia:
Fox Sports Net is headquartered in Los Angeles' Westwood area. Its master control facilities are based in both Los Angeles and Houston.

Obviously the two locations are for back-up. Believe me, the Fox facilities in West L.A. are magnificent and breathtaking. The lot houses the movie and TV studios, local Fox station KTTV (Rupie is rumored to personally chose any of the anchors on that station) Fox Network Operations, Fox Sports and Fox RSN operations, etc. It really is the brains for the entire system.

FYI: The technical marvels seem never to cease. KABC's facilities, just about less than 10 years old is another marvel, as are KCBS's less than 2 year old Broadcast Center, no video tape, it's the scale of the place, and as NBC leaves the Burbank lot for good (Jay Leno is still to originate from there), local KNBC is creating the latest technical marvel to house it and all NBC assets, especially its news bureaus, all in a brand new building atop the Universal City subway station, with the Universal Studios lot across the street handling NBC production facilities and NBC technical operations. Can't wait to see it when done.

TV is fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)