HD Quality on Locals New Install

HelenDee

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I recently upgraded to a HD 1000 Dish with Wally receivers set to 1080p. All my tv are LED within the last 3 years, not 4K TV.

I notice the picture quality on the local channels in HD is very pixel or somewhat blurry like it has been compressed pending on which station. One station like FOX is pixel while NBC looks better. And one station looks like SD quality on HD Signal with pixels. Is this a signal issue with Dish or something wrong on my set up. The other station like FX and beyond does not have this issues and looks pure HD. This is the first time I had HD and this is not the HD I have seen before on the locals.

I'm wondering if you have a western arc dish and the 129 signal is low, or if the check switch wasn't run correctly or the TV Resolution isn't set to 1080, 16:9. On Western Arc., the HD locals are typically on the 129

Grab your remote, hit the home button, then go to settings, TV, and see that the top box says 1080P, 1080i, 4K and the box under it is set to 16:9. While your're there, drop down to adjust screen size and make sure the green circles are set to fit in the corners..

Back out, hit diagnostics, then #3 for Dish. You can see your satellites here. If it's Western Arc, you'll see 110, 119, 129 and should have green check marks under them.
If it's Eastern Arc, you'll see 61.5, 72.1

If it IS Western, select Satellite 129 on the left, transponder 21 and see what your signal says. It'll probably be a lot lower than the other 2, depending on where you live. In Central IL, 110 and 119 should read in the high 70's and 129 in the mid to high 50's, for example

I'm wondering if you have a western arc dish and the 129 signal is low, or if the check switch wasn't run correctly or the TV Resolution isn't set to 1080, 16:9. On Western Arc., the HD locals are typically on the 129

Grab your remote, hit the home button, then go to settings, TV, and see that the top box says 1080P, 1080i, 4K and the box under it is set to 16:9. While your're there, drop down to adjust screen size and make sure the green circles are set to fit in the corners..

Back out, hit diagnostics, then #3 for Dish. You can see your satellites here. If it's Western Arc, you'll see 110, 119, 129 and should have green check marks under them.
If it's Eastern Arc, you'll see 61.5, 72.1

If it IS Western, select Satellite 129 on the left, transponder 21 and see what your signal says. It'll probably be a lot lower than the other 2, depending on where you live. In Central IL, 110 and 119 should read in the high 70's and 129 in the mid to high 50's, for example

Here is the info

129/21 is 45 Strength
119/4 is 57 Strength

It was set to 119 first and I follow your instructions to change to 129. I live in CA, 20 miles from San Francisco. And, I am getting 3 signal 119-110-129 and check mark green. I do notice I am missing 2 local stations and no longer get the TV JAPAN news even though I don't watch any of those stations but did notice they do appear before the set up. Any suggestions and does the test sound right to you? I can post some pict later on.

Just have them come back. Also TVJapan is only on the 118 satellite that I have to guess you had before but don't now. However is does sound like you are on the SD channels in the guide instead of the HD one.

Just have them come back. Also TVJapan is only on the 118 satellite that I have to guess you had before but don't now. However is does sound like you are on the SD channels in the guide instead of the HD one.
I don't subscribe to TV Japan but notice their news is free to dish customers appearing on the guide including a Russian channel that was available for free until that channel went off the air. I am on HD on the guide, but I went to settings and get SD option back.

Not if the HD locals are not getting a strong signal. They’ll revert to SD

Your post didn’t really clarify that was what you were talking about.

Anyway, I believe those signal strengths would be strong enough to get a lock.

Also if the SD locals were showing I’d think the OP could tell, they’d probably have black bars on the side if their TV was set to output the original aspect ratio.

Reactions: JSheridan
Thanks for replying back. Is the signal issue not strong enough a problem on my side or with Dish depending on how they get the signal from each station.

It would mean your dish could need a slight adjustment. Would be on your end.

Your post didn’t really clarify that was what you were talking about.

Anyway, I believe those signal strengths would be strong enough to get a lock.

Also if the SD locals were showing I’d think the OP could tell, they’d probably have black bars on the side if their TV was set to output the original aspect ratio.
I think they would be also, but they do seem low. If the 129 is hitting 55-50 in the Midwest, I'd expect it to be higher on the West Coast

I don't subscribe to TV Japan but notice their news is free to dish customers appearing on the guide including a Russian channel that was available for free until that channel went off the air. I am on HD on the guide, but I went to settings and get SD option back.

I am extremely aware of TVJapan watched for years channel 9991 (9989 SD) till I no longer kept the 118 satellite. It is on one and only one Satellite and that is the 118 satellite unless one of your local channels carried it that you no longer get. I have to assume you had the 118 satellite before, but when they made the change to the new dish you no longer do. That's why you no longer see it. What two local channels do you no longer get.

You posted this is the first time you had HD but then you say this isn't the HD you have seen before. Did you mean seen in other people's homes?
In the end you should have the installer come back to address all the things you brought up.

Reactions: salyavin
Thanks for replying back. Is the signal issue not strong enough a problem on my side or with Dish depending on how they get the signal from each station.
If the problem was on Dish's side (or at the station) you would see a blank yellow screen on the HD local. (I had that happen briefly during the Super Bowl.) If you lose the HD signal on your end, the receiver should switch to the SD feed.

I am extremely aware of TVJapan watched for years channel 9991 (9989 SD) till I no longer kept the 118 satellite. It is on one and only one Satellite and that is the 118 satellite unless one of your local channels carried it that you no longer get. I have to assume you had the 118 satellite before, but when they made the change to the new dish you no longer do. That's why you no longer see it. What two local channels do you no longer get.

You posted this is the first time you had HD but then you say this isn't the HD you have seen before. Did you mean seen in other people's homes?
In the end you should have the installer come back to address all the things you brought up.

I am planning to notify Dish since I am missing channels and I bet when they see that quality on TV, something ain't right. I did tune to OTA NBC and the HD on Dish and notice Dish quality is more sharper and the face is blur similar to OTA when OTA HD with the antenna is no longer as sharp HD like years ago. I clarify I am getting HD and SD on the TV guide after settings just to see the difference and it seems like the HD was a sharper increase from SD

Reactions: Tampa8
One more thing I need to point out, I notice the LNB he put in wasn't a new one since I notice the front, I can tell it has been out in the sun for some time, would that play any affect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts