HD Receiver Question? Which HD Receiver would you buy?

dantem

Sep 22, 2004
Anyone and everyone please post a reply.

If you have to choose amongst these HD Receivers which one would you select?

Hughes HIRD-E86
Hughes HTL-HD
LS LSS-3200A
Panasonic TU-HDS20
RCA DTC210
Samsung SIR-TS360
Sony SAT-HD300
Toshiba DST-3100
Zenith DTV1080

Or is there a non DVR (TIVO) HD Receiver that I do not list above that is also good.

Please help.. I need to purchase a HD Receiver by the end of the month for my DirecTV install (3rd party, have to purchase the receiver on my own or pay $450). Don’t ask... it’s my building HOA policy (have to use Denver Broadband).

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I used the TUHDS20 way back in the beginning days and is still used in the bedroom, but it is DOG SLOW and has a great HD OTA tuner. The Sony HD-300 & LG LSS-3200A (I picked the LG) & Zenith HD-SAT520 & the Samsung SIR-TS360 are 95% the same unit, but all possess their own firmware and software tweaks that are company specific and my exper is that the LG, Sony and Zenith have more sensative OTA tuning, in that order. I don't remember 100% for sure but of those I don't think the Zenith's output are all "always on", but the Sony, LG and Samsung are always on. The Zenith 1080 is an old unit along the lines of the Sony HD-100/200 series. The RCA210 is so new I have not tested one yet, but it sure looks like the Samsung with a digital coaxial output added. The E86 is also old-school and great for extra room, but the HLT-HD is the newest version. The Toshiba is for the same make as the RCA DTC-100 lot and I would not get that.

dantem

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks

charper1,

Thanks for your great insight and info.

So would you then recommend the: LG LSS-3200A? If you could do it all over today and buy an HD Receiver today.. what would you get?

Is $250 to much for a brand new LG LSS-3200A?

Thanks again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)