HD RSNs East & West

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
I just found out something today. I found out that those who live in the east ONLY get the RSNs in HD from the eastern portion of the U.S. (from 61.5) and those in the west ONLY get the RSNs in HD from the western portion of the U.S. (129).

Will this change if Dish ever puts the RSNs in HD on 24/7? Shouldn't everyone be able to get all of them then? For example, FSN Northwest HD while living in Florida?

:rant:

What would it take for you to get Dish to put up another dish that'll give you 129 if you live in the east?

Well I started with Eastern Arc, then wanted an international channel off 118, so they installed a 1000+ free with a 2yr agreement which included a DPP44. I talked the installer into leaving the Eastern Arc dish :) and just put the 61.5 out into the switch. I have a 5 sat setup which includes 61.5, 110, 118, 119, and 129.

I am in Knoxville, TN but I was put on Western Arc due to line of sight issues. I have no problems getting my HD RSNs. Sportsouth and FS South are just fine. That might explain why NESN isn't even in my channel list though?

Right now, Dish is juggling HD RSN feeds due to limited bandwidth. Yes, the long-term plan is to offer all HD RSN's to all subscribers of the RSN pack, but right now, bandwidth is not optimal at 61.5, while 129 could probably handle all the HD RSN's for Western Arc subs. However, the launch of Echo 14 and launch of sat to replace the lost AMC 14 intended for 61.5, and the soon to come conversion of all SD at WA to 8PSK will undoubtedly make this possible with no problems.

Sounds like a good idea. I figured that's what Dish is planning in the long term. When is Echo 14 going up and the sat to replace AMC 14? When do you think Dish will (if ever) offer the RSNs on a 24/7 basis in HD?

Sounds like a good idea. I figured that's what Dish is planning in the long term. When is Echo 14 going up and the sat to replace AMC 14? When do you think Dish will (if ever) offer the RSNs on a 24/7 basis in HD?

Echo 14 is to be launched, last I read, 1st quarter next year, or, think of it in the phrase, "in a few months."

Depending upon how Dish moves channels around and if they chose to uplink more HD LIL in cites that already have major nets in HD LIL, or even the local PBS in HD matter, when Echo 14 is put into sevice, it should result, after all the juggling, in even more bandwidth at the WA.

The real delay in 24/7 all HD Regionals is the Eastern Arc. Poor 61.5. Two sickie satellites that are depriving Dish of about HALF the licensed capacity there. There may be some chance of 24/7 HD RSN's when Dish gets to use the remaining half of Nimiq 5, but that satellite (correct me if I'm wrong) is Coun US only. While this suits 24/7 RSN's, if Dish chooses more LIL HD as the priority, then it would not result in as much capacity for the EA overall as if it were a spot-beam sat for both LIL and and 24/7 HD RSN, and it may not happen then.

Based on how Dish chooses to do things, they could make RSN's HD 24/7 with Echo 14 and all of Nimiq 5 in operation, IF they choose to do that as the priority. If not, then we may have to wait until AMC 14's raplacement, which was/will be an extremely sophisticated sat with sterrable spots allowing for maximum efficiency at 61.5. AMC 14's replacement will probably launch early 2012, I was given the impression. The satellite will be complete before that, but it can take a fair amount of time to get to the launch date. Those are booked several months in advance.

From what I've read in the press, Dish considers the LIL HD PBS stations to be last on the list which means that RSN 24/7 is high on the list. However, Dish promised that if they can get what they want in the final re-authorization bill, they would make LIL PBS HD by 2012, although now they are saying they may not make that either, at least all LIL. We shall have to wait and see.

I'm betting that HD RSN's 24/7 will come with accessing the remaining half of Nimiq 5. Dish can put the HD RSN's for the WA at 129, and, if it is more efficient, move them 119 later when Echo 14 is on line to free up 129. All HD installs in the WA must also look at 119 and 110 so that Dish has the flexibility to move HD channels around the 3 sats for maximum efficiency.

Last edited:
I've also learned a few things since I did my last posting here. If you look at "The List", you'll see that many of the locals throughout the country are on BOTH 129 AND 61.5. My locals from Tampa are from both sats.

The majority of the locals in HD are on 129. The majority of the RSNs in HD are on 129 as well. However, Comcast New England HD, NESN HD, and Sportsnet NY HD are not on 129 in HD. All the other available RSNs in HD are, such as FSN Pittsburgh, FSN Detroit, Comcast Mid-Atlantic, etc.

In addition, the HD locals from Boston, New York, and the New England area are not on 129.

This leads me to believe that a 129 signal will not reach into that part of the country. So, if you want your HD RSNs up there, you have to settle with 61.5 and what's on there.

BTW, I am getting Dish to set me up with a new 1000+ dish to make a one dish solution for me. I won't need my wing dish at 61.5 anymore. I'm taking it down. They're doing it for nothing.