HD Satellite Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sportjunky

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I just bought a new HD satellite. It's oval with 3 prods (i assume thats a given since any HD satellite will have 3 rather than 1. So we installed the new satellite but can't get a signal. The height and tilt are correct, but the azimuth isn't exact cuz we don't have a compass.

is that the reason why there is no signal? because we need a compass due to the exact requirements of the azimuth? or should we at least be getting a signal with azimuth being adjusted for the sake of signal strength?

i mean, if the new satellite is faced in the general direction the former satelite was, should we expect at least some signal?

Your best bet is to get close to your azimuth as possible. Then from there slow move to the left first moving the dish just an inch at a time and pausing for roughly 3-5 sec. Put your receiver on the signal meter stength screen. Thats why there is a really anoying beeping noise. Crank it up the stronger the signal strength the faster the beeping. Go till about 15º and then go back the middle and try to the right. Still no signal move your dish up just a bit and try again. A little tedious but keep at it and get the best signal stength possible. On the 101º sat(a) use transponders 1 and 2 on the 110º sat(c) and 119º sat(b) use the only 2 transponders available. Directv also has tips on their website seen here.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerAction.do

Hope this helps...

I had an installer aim my oval dish so I never had to deal with tilt. But I do remember aiming my original round dish. It was very touchy. I'd say an inch at a time is way too much. I remember just barely moving it would go from no signal at all to a full signal (and vice versa). I'd say just be patient and keep trying, slowly.

-JustBob

You will need a HEADING compass similar to these two.

Attachments

• 930-0999.jpg
    930-0999.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 113
  • compass.gif
    compass.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 136
still haven't figured it out.

is there a significant difference between a heading compass and a normal compass? because we found a normal compass but couldn't find a heading compass. And we've set the azimuth with the normal compass and there still no signal coming in.

when we replaced the round dish for the new oval one, all we did was replace one dish with the other. is it really that simple? or did we miss a step which is the reason we can't get a signal?

Are you sure that the mast is both plumb and level? And when you say that all you did was swap out the dishes. Did you remember to unplug the receivers? It is possible to short out the LNB if you didn't.

Main thing, make sure the pole your mounting it to is exactly plumb, this is important for the round(any) dish, but even more so for the 3lnb dish.

Make sure you rerun install setup on all receivers to use the Oval/3lnb dish and not the Round. Keep in mind the numbers for Az, Elevation, and Tilt are just baselines, they aren't exact.

Maybe this will help, it's the official directv 3lnb dish install guide:

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/12429_00_AntennaManual_1D.pdf

Use the 101 sat as the initial satellite for aiming, (in your receivers signal meter menu make sure 101 is the active one).

If you are using your receivers as the sat/signal finder for adjusting the dish, make sure you give each adjustment 5-8 seconds (or so) before assuming there is no signal, it takes that long for the receiver to lock into the signal, i.e. changes to signal readings are not immediate on the receivers.

A good way, is to adjust the dish by the numbers then tighten the bolts, then watch your signals, and use your thumb to _gently_ 'move' the dish one way or the other, while holding the dish with your thumb(steadily) watch the signal meters, (remember give it 5-8 secs to lock on), (if you get a signal when you thumb it, remove thumb, loosen bolts, and move it in the direction of where it was when thumbed, and retighten the bolts, if you get signals in low/mid 90s or higher, that adjustments done, move on to the next)

If you get no signal, loosen the bolts in question, and move it a few degrees, tighten bolts, wit 5-8 secs, if no signal still, try the thumb thing again, etc. NOTE: The thumb thing works for Az, and Elevation (i.e. don't try and thumb the Tilt), the Tilt should be fine at the settings stated by your receiver/website.

Good luck.

Remember... It's trying to pick up a signal from outer frikken space. (Thanks, Ron White.) Small moves make a world of difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)