HD Sat's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bushay

Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Im new here. First post so be gentle. Recently received a HD TV and as a long time DTV subscriber I called to have the HD package installed. Tech came out and with a binocular looking gadget , aimed it at the HD Sat's and told me I had several tall trees blocking the HD Sat's and would be unable to receive the HD package at this time but according to him DTV was in the process this year of moving the HD Sat's to another location. My question is....can anyone else confirm this and how can I stay updated about this information so I dont have to continue calling DTV on a regular basis to find out when I can benifeit from HD. Thanks in advance.

That thing is called a clinometer, and it measures the angle to point at the satellite. If you already have D*, you can probably get the newer HD channels nearest to the center (99 and 103 degrees), but a few older HD channels are at a much further angle (110 and 119 degrees W). Those satellites are probably blocked.

Sounds like you might not have line of site to 110 and 119, which some of the older HD channels come from. Check your signal readings and see if you have 110 and 119 on your current setup. If you do then it's some problem with the 99 and/or 103 satellite and your installer might just not wanted to do your install.

An alternative is to see if you can find a local retailer in your area for DirecTV and order from him, he might go the extra mile to get you set up.

That thing is called a clinometer, and it measures the angle to point at the satellite. If you already have D*, you can probably get the newer HD channels nearest to the center (99 and 103 degrees), but a few older HD channels are at a much further angle (110 and 119 degrees W). Those satellites are probably blocked.

Yes, I believe the ones he mentioned. 110 and119.

Sounds like you might not have line of site to 110 and 119, which some of the older HD channels come from. Check your signal readings and see if you have 110 and 119 on your current setup. If you do then it's some problem with the 99 and/or 103 satellite and your installer might just not wanted to do your install.

An alternative is to see if you can find a local retailer in your area for DirecTV and order from him, he might go the extra mile to get you set up.

Not sure how to check the signal readings you speak of. Do you know what channels are on the older sat's? Maybe I can do without some of these channels until they are moved.

And to re-ask my original question. Any way to check when they will be moved?

Not sure how to check the signal readings you speak of. Do you know what channels are on the older sat's? Maybe I can do without some of these channels until they are moved.

And to re-ask my original question. Any way to check when they will be moved?

Not knowing your receiver, and if I didn't still probably wouldn't know, there should be some option in the setup menus for satellite signal readings. All I was trying to do is figure out if it's the 119/110 satellite that's the problem and you responded later that it was.

As for your second question, the only way to check is keep an eye on these boards to see if someone mentions it. They won't be moved to 103/99 until after DirecTV 11 satellite goes active in a few months and even then no word if they'll move the channels right away or take their time adding new HD channels and then go back and move the older ones.

Bushay,
Welcome to the site,
What receiver are you using ?

Jimbo

Thanks.

As of right now I am using a Directv DVR R10 but I ordered a HD DVR receiver at the time I ordered the new installation. Everythings on hold now till I can receive HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts