HD service package. Do I need it to receive HD signal.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nick78

Original poster
May 21, 2008
I have an HD tivo that I bought in the middle of moving, while my service was suspended. I just called directv to re-up my service, and the guy told me that I HAD to buy an HD service package or my tivo would not even receive an HD signal.(almost $17.00 monthly) When I bought it I just assumed that it would give me an HD picture on any channel that was broadcast in HD, and if I wanted to actually pay for extra HD programming I could. Is this a trick that they use to get you to buy extra service, or will my HD tivo really not receive any HD signal from directv if I don't pay for it. Thanks

The HD package for D* is $9.99 (there is an additional package for $4.99). Without the HD package, you cannot get any HD from D*. And with the HD-Tivo, you'll only get about 5-10 HD channels (forget the exact number) from D*. That receiver is only capable of receiving MPEG-2 channels - all of the new HD channels (including locals if available) are MPEG-4 and require the new D* HR2* receivers.

However, the HD-Tivo does give you the option to hook up an antenna for free OTA HD locals if they're available in your area.

Before very long (probably around the end of the year), the MPEG2 HD signals will switch to MPEG4 and you will only be able to view SD with that DVR. HR10-250 owners appear to be getting deals on an upgrade to a newer DVR, often free.

Is the box you bought actaully a "TiVo" branded unit? Some people call the DVR a TiVo still because that's basically what is it. Tell us what the model number on it is so we can be sure.

If it is a "TiVo" branded box such as the Hughes HR10-250, you pretty much bought something that will eventually not recieve any of DirecTv's HD channels, once they switch everything to MPEG4.

IF you bought a HR20/21, this is the MPEG4 box but you still need to subscribe to HD Access to get any HD. Either way you need to subscribe to it if you want HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)