HD size on 622?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
What size is the HD in he 622? I just hooked up a 360Gig EHD on my 211 and it only shows 33 hours of HD space. Seems kind of low, close to what the 622 shows.

OTA (MPEG-2) HD may take more space than Dish guesses. Standard MPEG-4 HD may take half of the quoted. Check the number of MB in (VIP722 etc.) DVR+4(My Media)+2(Send to Device) and "round up" by a few MB. I use 700-900 MB/hr for MPEG-2 SD, 1800-2500 MB/hr for MPEG-4 HD, 4000-6000 MB/hr OTA MPEG-2 HD. It will also tell you the number of GB available on the external but not the internal.
-Ken

OTA (MPEG-2) HD may take more space than Dish guesses. Standard MPEG-4 HD may take half of the quoted. Check the number of MB in (VIP722 etc.) DVR+4(My Media)+2(Send to Device) and "round up" by a few MB. I use 700-900 MB/hr for MPEG-2 SD, 1800-2500 MB/hr for MPEG-4 HD, 4000-6000 MB/hr OTA MPEG-2 HD. It will also tell you the number of GB available on the external but not the internal.
-Ken

I've attached it to a 211, how do I check the size in MB? On my 622, most of my HD movies are about 3500-5000MB in size

How do you send the program to the disk? There is your chance to see the size, unless Dish did that completely differently on the 211 compared to the 6x2/722 series. On the send-to-device page the sizes are shown instead of the duration. Oh, that's right you are not transferring, you are recording to. On the Manage-Device screen, where you select the replay, you should see the "rounded" size in MB.

Interestingly a DVD is 4GB or 2 hours in SP, of course that is MPEG-2. My mix of SD and HD averages very close to 2GB/hr.
-Ken

The number displayed by the receiver is a worst case estimate. I've seen an hour of HD range from 8GB (full bit-rate OTA) to as little as 2GB (SyFy HD). Even when you restrict the comparison to one codec there is still a wide range - 5GB for the local ABC affiliate via Dish locals and 2GB for SyFy - both MPEG-4.10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts