HD Spotbeam size?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

category4

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Dacula, GA
Where can I find information on the size of the HD local spotbeams? I live in the Atlanta area and I am considering moving to the Greenville, SC area. Would i still be able to receive the Atlanta locals if I did not change my address with D*?

There is no set size of spots and no real accurate, current maps that plot them; that I have seen. Most info is trial and error. Do you know anyone there where you could test one of your receivers on a visit or something? Maybe you will find another user here that went through the same thing. Good luck.

Given that Dacula, GA (ATL DMA) is only about 105 miles from Piedmont, SC (which I assume is in the Greenville, SC DMA) it LOOKS like a good bet on paper; IMHO; but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'll have to ask around and see if anyone I know in the area has the 5 LNB dish, just hoping there might be some info somewhere before I move.

Where can I find information on the size of the HD local spotbeams? I live in the Atlanta area and I am considering moving to the Greenville, SC area. Would i still be able to receive the Atlanta locals if I did not change my address with D*?

nope.

The actual location I would be moving to is only 70 miles (as the crow flies) from present location, just across the SC border. I was thinking it probably would given the relative proximity but i will try and find somewhere I can hook a receiver to and try it.

Thanks for the info guys.

That is such a small distance; you have the right idea. If you tailgate and have access to a generator or one of those deals you can put in your car to plug in outlets (power inverter?), you can setup your dish on a tripod in a local parking lot or somewhere with your receiver and a small portable TV.

I have friends(co-workers) in greenville, charlotte, and atlanta. The spot beam not as big. Funny the bigger the DMA the bigger the beam. D.C. spot beam cover part of W VA. Western parts of VA., as far south as Richmond, and into baltimore DMA. Baltimore doesn't even come close in size. Raleighs is Decent size but doesn't extend as far north as you would think. I'm curious to see what happens when Norfolk goes live. That's gonna be ugly.

The actual location I would be moving to is only 70 miles (as the crow flies) from present location, just across the SC border. I was thinking it probably would given the relative proximity but i will try and find somewhere I can hook a receiver to and try it.

Thanks for the info guys.

70 miles might work. I'll ask if I go to work in the a.m.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)