HD Stacker / Long-Distance Antenna

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I hope I'm in the right forum. While I have browsed this one out of interest, I haven't posted here. I'm a current DISH subscriber but have cut back dramatically thanks to a friend burning me the whole set of Unsolved Mysteries, radio for NASCAR when not televised and locals for NFL (FOX, CBS, NBC) and the same plus ABC for NCAA Football. My Dad, not far from me but not in a valley surrounded by hills and trees has gotten me attached to Antenna, GRIT and Cozi.

Here is my TV Fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e0341d081a78a

I was recommended someone in the area who suggested a HD Stacker or a Winguard of some variety with an amplifier. I have finally considered this as DISH may drop my NBC and playing around with my Dad's TIVO has me convinced I would probably be happy. FWIW, I am in the Atlanta market. Dad has managed to pull in CBS-12 from Chattanooga and a station or two from Greenville during the night. I have become addicted to Ice's DX thread and would love to get into that a little more but I'm not sure if I can get a signal period. Can I get a recommendation based on my TV Fool report? I put in 40 feet elevation but it may be more.

One thing I noticed is its down to block level which may not be accurate. Best to enter your coordinates. Best way to do it

go to google maps and put in your address
click on the satellite to see your house
right click on your house and it says "whats here?". That will give you the coordinates for your house

put those in tvfool and see if it helps (or hurts)...because right now that looks pretty fugly

Reactions: fhsucade07
That's a terrible Tvfool! However, it's only "block level" resolved. You need to bring up Google maps, change to satellite view, zoom in on your house, find the likely spot where you think your outside antenna will work. Then, RIGHT-click that spot, and click on "What's here?"

You will see your exact coordinates listed. Type those into Tvfool, and re-run your report. It masks it, so posting the link afterwards won't have any black cars showing up in your driveway....

Ice has too much time on his hands, and types faster, lol!

Thanks guys. I'm away from my computer and on mobile now. I'll try to rerun tomorrow. I was afraid it might be ugly.

Reactions: Mr Tony
What stations are "must have" to you?

You are going to have to go to some extremes (meaning $$$) to successfully lock pretty much any of your channels as close to 24x7 as you can get. A fixed-aim single antenna (even a UHF/VHF stacker type) probably isn't going to work for you, since your stations are in so many different directions, and mostly very weak. Unless of course you are willing to install and use a motorized rotation system? That could work, but that's not DVR friendly.

Except for your channel 28, you will NEED to install the largest outside antenna(s) (you need both VHF and UHF) you can, the highest UP you can, AND you will need a pre-amp system. Even then there's no guarantees this will work 24x7 with your situation.

I highly suggest you might want to reconsider dumping Dish. Perhaps lower your Dish sub to the minimum with your locals, and go to a cheaper antenna system for hobby/play?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)