HD Subscribers???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
liquidcapital1 said:
Anyone know how many HD subs these guys have (based on the number of HD boxes shipped, etc)? Thanks.

Well, I'm 1. Is there a second HD subscriber here?!

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~Who is just kidding...

This appears to be a guarded secret in the industry. I could not find anything. DirecTV has 12.6 million total subscribers as of 3/31/04, so it is somewhere between 3 (the three of us posted here) and 12.6 million.

gmu77 said:
This appears to be a guarded secret in the industry. I could not find anything. DirecTV has 12.6 million total subscribers as of 3/31/04, so it is somewhere between 3 (the three of us posted here) and 12.6 million.

I want to say that Eddy H. once mentioned something about amounts of HD receivers out there, but I don't remember the amount. We could start some sort of contest...the person closest to the right number wins a hearty congratulations. I'll donate the prize, if I don't win. Someone else could donate the "congratulations" if I'm wrong. My guess is 9 people.

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~~Who thinks he's pretty close...

wbuffetta said:
I Read Someplace That There are 200,000 Directv Subs. That Have The HD Pkg

OK, I meant 199,000 subs. However, on second thought, I'm going to guess a total of 210,000 subs. Let the real games begin...

Seriously though, I think I have read that number before, BUT that's kind of a sad number compared to DirecTV's total sub number, not to mention that I prefer to think that everybody is HD-capable and that they will shut off analog next year, and then that way, I should be able to get HD next year. So, basically I'm saying screw everybody else, I want my HD. OK, maybe I'm not really saying that, but I WANT MY NBC AND FOX HD!!! WAAAAHHHH!!!!

~Alan

There have been a number of people that have been waiting for the HDTivo to hit the market so the number, if we ever can find it, probably will have a nice bump this quarter and next.

I was a HD sub, dropped it due to the 10.95 for 3 channels charge. Why all the rant for HDTIVO I don't understand when there's nothing to record, go figure. Besides, if you want NBC and FOX, get a OTA, it's FREE!

rkr0923 said:
I was a HD sub, dropped it due to the 10.95 for 3 channels charge. Why all the rant for HDTIVO I don't understand when there's nothing to record, go figure. Besides, if you want NBC and FOX, get a OTA, it's FREE!

You don't mention HBO-HD and Showtime-HD, plus for OTA CBS, PBS, and ABC. I also assume that you don't want to time shift any OTA shows. So us that do want to time shft these channels that's why we rant about the HDTivo. To each their own.

Most of the guys over at TCF boast the OTA, that is where they record the bulk of thier content. I can see that. on my SD Tivo I mostly tape NBC and CBS ... but with HD CBS I'll probably start watching.

rkr0923 said:
Besides, if you want NBC and FOX, get a OTA, it's FREE!

It's only free if you can pick it up...otherwise, "it's a moo point". It will probably be years before I'll be able to pick NBC AND FOX HD by antenna unless Congress decides to do something about these stations that broadcast so low in power you have to be within walking distance of the tower. The fact of the matter is I can't receive ONE digital station even though two of them are within ten miles of me. I also know that I am not alone in that problem as quite a few people have no access to HD networks.

Besides, I was just kidding about the whole "screw everybody" and the crying like a baby.

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~Who wonders how many people got the "moo point" joke...

But HBO-D and Showtime-D and all the other D's are not included in the 10.95......they are EXTRA money. Gonna be awhile if your waiting on Congress to do something. If you're within 10 miles I can't see you not picking up a station, weird. Are they broadcasting off a clothes hanger.
I'm speaking of the DTV HDTIVO. If your just recording OTA you can get one just for that, doesn't have to be DTV

rkr0923 said:
Are they broadcasting off a clothes hanger.
I'm speaking of the DTV HDTIVO. If your just recording OTA you can get one just for that, doesn't have to be DTV
DTV Stations are broadcasting at at 1,000 watts, it is the FCC mandated power level.

Also the HR10-250 (D* HD-Tivo) is the only unit on the market that allows you to record off 4 inputs. 2 are SAT, 2 are OTA, plus you can watch a recorded show. This explins why TCF folks are killing hard disks left and right, lol. You could record HD to DVD also, but there is no doubt that the best unit available NOW is the HR10-250

This question continues to bother me and I've spent a good portion of the afternoon trying to find the answer. It is not readily available, but I can make some educated guesses:

While approximately 9% of the US television households have an HD monitor, only approximately 2% actually subscribe to HD content. There are approximately 100 million TV households in the US, meaning roughly 2 million subscribe to HD content. Even if all of these people received their HD content from DirecTV, this is the MOST it could be (2 million).

If you apply that same 2% penetration rate to DirecTV's 12.6 million subscribers, that would mean about 250,000 receive HD content. Given that the satellite companies until recently had the lead in HD content over cable companies, I can assume that the HD penetration rate is higher among DirecTV subscribers than overall, so 250,000 is the LEAST it could be.

My best educated guess is that about 500,000 DirecTV subscribers currently receive HD content. That would be twice the overall penetration rate, and suggest that DirecTV has 25% share of the approximately 2 million US television homes subscribing to HD content. Both of those seem logical and pass the smell test, so I'll stick with my estimate of 500,000 unless someone can prove me wrong!

Alan Gordon said:
One of mine is, the other one is said to be broadcasting at 60kw. :(

~Alan
There are a few that are at 50 or 60, but only a few.usually you can get the same signal from an affilate rather than a translator.

posting drunk ....

anyway an affilate is the main broadcast point usually from a metro area like denver, our translator is in Ft Collins and has a different call siogn and a dfiffertnt frequency. Denver is 32.1 Ft collins is 22.1 ....

not sure if that helps but 22.1 is out "translator" for the 32.1 station. inceidently I ger the bernver sig at 1000 wats better than the ft collins siganl at 50w ....
get it :) :D

man I am not even spell checkingh ... the rum is working great!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)