HD SuperBowl Feeds now up in mpg2!

It is on my 921 and 811 here in the outskirts of the SF area, channel 240 KABC out of LA, so definitely MPEG2.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup the HD feed is only available to 11 markets.
Why is who_the getting 250 and I'm not, both of us in SF?

Maybe because I don't sub to locals? I don't even see 240 or 250 in the "ALL" guide on my 6000 and I've rebooted.

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
WABC-HD from NY is up and running for the SupeBowl on channel 240. I switch between 240 and OTA WRAL-HD in Raleigh, NC and the picture on 240 is better? How can that be -- might be the SD feed from WABC is better looking then WRAL. We shall see when something in true HD is up. Right now I am watching Good Morning America. It is 8AM. WOOHOO:devil:

Did you notice that you use post #240 to report that channel 240 is turned on, spooky.

250 is on here in the Bay Area and will also look into what looks better OTA or the E* feed. ReconPJ, where in the BA are you? Ah just saw your profile, Mountain View.

Guys I merged all the threads on the superbowl being turned on, it doesnt make sence to have 3 diffrent threads talking about the same thing expecally when one has been a sticky sence last night :)

splino said:
What is a Super Bowl?

hummmm you must not be from America :).... The super bowl is the hugest American sporting event. In America its like the Olympics put into one day.. The top two teams from the NFL (American Football) compete against each other for the championship. Not only is the game entertaining but the commercials are a big part of the game too as company's pay millions to air there advertising during this game as millions of people are watching it :) Allot of the commercials are funny! :)

goaliebob99 said:
hummmm you must not be from America :).... The super bowl is the hugest American sporting event. In America its like the Olympics put into one day.. The top two teams from the NFL (American Football) compete against each other for the championship. Not only is the game entertaining but the commercials are a big part of the game too as company's pay millions to air there advertising during this game as millions of people are watching it :) Allot of the commercials are funny! :)

Thank you,

I'll be rutting for the Orioles. Go Orioles!

Super Bowl

cpdretired said:
It's that thingy with the black ball and 10 pins. You know you throw the ball at them and try to knock em down. Boy are you dumb.:)

What is a thingy?

Super Bowl

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup the HD feed is only available to 11 markets.

So this thingy called the Super Bowl is only going to be available to 11 markets. When are the Distant HD Networks going to be available to people who qualified and have the Distant SD Networks?

splino said:
So this thingy called the Super Bowl is only going to be available to 11 markets. When are the Distant HD Networks going to be available to people who qualified and have the Distant SD Networks?

Technically dish could make distance avaible now. I think (pure specualtion though) that we could see hd distance some time in the next 6 months :)

Why no HD DNS yet - it's not hard to figure out

goaliebob99 said:
Technically dish could make distants avaible now. I think (pure specualtion though) that we could see hd distants some time in the next 6 months :)

Sorry Bob, I had to correct you spellings of "distance" to "distants" above. It was driving me crazy:D

To elaborate, you're exactly right, Dish COULD make HD DNS available to qualifing subs NOW now as far as the law goes. The operative word though is "could".

I guess this goes beyond speculation because it is fact according to the FCC's own fact sheet:

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html

So when Dish tells us they'd "love to provide HD distants to everyone that wants them" (paraphrase quote), they're being less than truthful.

Back to speculation. The truth is Dish does not want to bother with HD DNS to those getting the same DNS in analog simply because there's no money in it.

Many people today have trouble seeing truth, even when it slaps them side the head. We tend to have to have an "authority" figure tell us it's ok to believe this or that.

It's this simple:
If you get SD distants, you're probably paying 1.5 each for them. If you get SD LiLs you're paying whatever that package costs. If they were to add the HD distant of the SD you already pay for, they couldn't charge you anymore, so why take the risk of pissing off the various afiliates just to give you something that won't net them a dime and may cost them thousands in the long term. Don't forget, Dish is currently negoiating with all these local afilliates to get permission for HD LiLs.

Anyway, what it amounts to is even though SHVERA states that those that qualify for analog distants are also eligible for HD distants, the afiliates don't want you to have them. Even if you can't get their signal, most would rather you watch nothing than get their network signal from the national feed.

I was hoping when the distant SD network that we had to go to the trouble of getting qualified for went HD that it would simply be turned on. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Thats the reason I went to the trouble of getting waivers in the first place. If we can qualify for that city in SD we should be able to see the HD feed as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)