HD Superstations

js6425

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
When the DTV transition occurs next year and dish has to pick up the local stations DT signal, what are the odds that they'll broadcast the superstations in HD? Has there been any inclinations or news about this?

When the DTV transition occurs next year and dish has to pick up the local stations DT signal, what are the odds that they'll broadcast the superstations in HD? Has there been any inclinations or news about this?

Been discussed. Probably not soon. One issue is it is unclear whether the original grandfather clause that allowed the superstations in the first place can be extended into the digital transmissions or the HD feeds. There is a chance that the FCC could rule that the superstations cease to exist next Feb.

Well, I, too, really hope we can get the superstitions HD. It would be a great convenience since we should not count on Dish providing local HD LiL or CW's and MyTV's.

Thats gonna suck if they kill the superstations all together... We have no local access to superstations in our area.... I watch too many shows on CW to loose it. UUGGGHHH!!!!

It is my understanding that the law that enables superstations only applies to analog broadcasts - there is no law allowing digital superstations. BICBW

DISH is required to file a form stating the number of viewers subbing to digital and analog versions of the superstations,. based on that i think that they have authority to pick up the digital versions today and in fact may already be showing us feeds of the digital stations. There is no ned fro the FCC to "rule' on anything.

Having said that the underlying legal authority to carry the superstations expires in Feb of 2009. Unless it is extended they won't be carrying an SD or an HD version of the stations. But that is because of the expiration of coverage not the digital transition.

here is the form BTW. I have posted it every time someone claims there is no authority to carry the digital versions.

As for HD I suspect that the local CW and MyTV affiliates might be upset if DISH carries their programming in HD on the supers and only in SD for the local versions. That might be the real reason DISH ahs never provided HD versions.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsci.pdf

BTW SHVERA explicitly discusses digital transmissions not just analog ones. But I am amazed at how often people have killed off the superstatins over they years.

Last edited:
I am sorry if I seemed too adamant on this. People just keep trying to kill off the superstations based on all kinds of wild interpretations. but you were clear that this was just your undertanding. I shoudl not have acted as I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)