HD tailgating and transponder

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FWIW, according to the channel lineup on the DIRECTV website, all the local channels that are carried by DIRECTV are available in HD. YMMV.

Are you saying the Directv website claims all local channels in the US are in hd? Can you post a link to that?

If you have a SWM5 at home, your would be best served to have a SWM5 for your tailgating setup. (I have a SWM3 at home and a SWM5 on the road and the receiver switches back and forth automatically with no problem. But, it appears you need 119 for your locals so you should stick with the SWM5 for your tailgate setup.)

As long as they are both swm setups, switching back and forth is usually easy. It's when one is swm and one isn't that problems arise.

Are you saying the Directv website claims all local channels in the US are in hd?
I'm speaking of the Murfreesboro channels that DIRECTV carries.

It took many posts to beat out of the TS what market they were in so I used that information and looked it up.

I just tried the dash key on the lower left of the receiver. It just indicated to me that the receiver was connected to the internet. Is there another way to tell if I am a swm setup?

I have older HR21 receivers, so I am going to guess I have non-SWM?

I have older HR21 receivers, so I am going to guess I have non-SWM?

HR21s connect to SWM fine, but your message when you hit "dash" indicates you don't have SWM.....

Kind of pricy ... this is the setup I use camping, I used to use an SL5 LNB but when I swapped to SWM I bought 2 SWM 3 LNBs and use a Phase III dish with good results.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 196
brfan,
The only thing I would add to what you are getting is a post level from Home Depot. Chip mentioned this on a thread some time ago and I bought one. It really makes getting the tripod post vertical much easier. The cost is about $6.
Bob

This is what a post level looks like. They cost about $6 at Home Depot.

post level.jpg

great info/tip on the post level.... thanks!!

Gang... based on what I am going to get for setup... Best suggestions for DTV satellite signal meter(without breaking the bank)?

Use the meter in the receiver/dvr. It works fine for a one time setup.

Thanks!!

Do you also agree once the 101 is tuned in around the 85-92% range, the other sat's will be enough for tailgating purposes?

You may need to adjust the skew slightly, but it should be close if the 101 is in the 90s range.

When we are out on the road in the RV I preset the tilt and elevation settings to the figure I get on www.dishpointer.com. Then I set the dish arm to the compass setting I get from that same site. Next you power everything up setting the receiver to use the signal strength meter in the receiver. Then you slowly move the dish left and right until you get the best reading on the meter. When you have the best reading, tighten the bolts that control the azimuth setting tight enough that they will not move during the "tweaking" of the elevation setting. Once the bolts are tight on the pole, you loosen the bolts on the sides of the elevation setting. Now, while holding the dish by the top, you loosen the nut on the connector that holds the "dithering" shaft. This allows you to move the dish up an down for the best reading on the elevation. Once you get the best reading tighten the "dithering" holder nut first then the two that slide on the elevation settings. I find that this is "good enough" for "on the road" settings. I have yet to experience drop outs on the HD channels using this technique. I know others talk about doing the full "dithering" thing. But, for a temporary setup this seems to be enough.

I used to recommend a couple of android phone apps for help with the setup. But after a recent RV trip trying to use them I found that the compass on my Samsung Galaxy SIII is so crappy as to make them basically useless. If you have another brand of android phone you may want to try Satellite AR which shows you any obstructions that may cause problems or SatFinder that will give you actual settings to use for setup. If you have a Galaxy type phone, however, I now recommend a standard compass for the original azimuth setting.

Hope this helps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)