HD Technology Fee

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Does anyone know if the HD technology fee is tied to the type of receiver, or is an actual programming tier?

I got a standard definition box now with a basic package so I can get the RAI Channel, however I was considering getting am HD Tivo box.

So if I get a cable card, am I going to get HD on my basic package, or are they going to charge me $10 per month?

I just find it crazy to pay $10 to lease the HD receiver and then pay another $10 for the HD technology fee, when all I use it for right now is the Italian channel RAI, which is in SD.

I picked up a cable card and HDHomerun Prime so I could use my computer as a DVR. I get all of my subscribed channels in SD and HD with 1 or 2 exceptions, even though my package supposedly included just SD (they gave me an SD receiver, which I quickly gave right back.) It seems like they simply limited me to SD by not giving me the HD box. I don't pay the HD technology fee, nor do I pay for an HD tier. I'm not sure how the Tivo would scan all the channels in, but the Prime picked everything right up. It even scanned in a few channels I didn't expect... :whistle I DID, however, have to argue for almost a month to get my credit for owning my own box. When your plan/bundle includes a box but you use your own, you're supposed to get a $2.50 credit each month. I think we get a really good deal for 60ish channels and 100Mbps, $68ish per month with taxes and fees for the first year, and we'll be moving before it goes to $95ish at the end of 12 months.

Does anyone know if the HD technology fee is tied to the type of receiver, or is an actual programming tier?
If its Comcast its on the receiver.

I got a standard definition box now with a basic package so I can get the RAI Channel, however I was considering getting am HD Tivo box.

So if I get a cable card, am I going to get HD on my basic package, or are they going to charge me $10 per month?
yes you will get HD on the Tivo. It will be the channels in the package you pay for. You will also get a 2.50 credit a month because its your own equipment.

....yes you will get HD on the Tivo. It will be the channels in the package you pay for. You will also get a 2.50 credit a month because its your own equipment.
Good to know Ice, we may be switching to Comcast soon and using the TiVo. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts