hd tv antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fatcat59

Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I have a question about a antenna i installed it's a terk slimline outdoor antenna.My channnels come in very well, but i have a problem when vehicles drive by my house it messes with the picture.My house is about 30 feet from the road and i have to have mounted on the front of the house facing the road in the direction of my towers.Do i need a amplifier or is there another way to fix this problem. Sometimes i get a alot of traffic and this can be a annoying problem. Any help would be great thanks!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Antenna is probably marginal and traffic causes multipath/signal loss.

Mount an antenna above the roofline at least 30 ft up.

Multi-Path solved by up-graded outdoor antenna

Antenna is probably marginal and traffic causes multipath/signal loss.

Mount an antenna above the roofline at least 30 ft up.

Jim is right. You are suffering from Multi-path.

Multi-path signals reaching the antenna out of phase can confuse the ATSC (Digital) chip set in the converter box (or digital TV tuner sets).

If the signal reaching the front of the antenna is not 2 to 3 times stronger than a bounced signal from the same station reaching the back of the antenna, the ATSC chip doesn’t know which signal to use, so it just keeps searching. The answer is to up-grade to a new digital outdoor antenna, the higher, the better, tuned to receive digital signals and help reject Multi-path signals.

While it’s correct that antennas can’t tell the difference between analog and digital signals, there are definitely certain models which have higher DTV batting averages than others. Not all antennas are equally suited for DTV. A percentage of viewers will require something a little more tailored for DTV reception.

The correct digital age outdoor antenna installed and aimed properly, will receive the desired local stations it’s aimed at. The more powerful the antenna, the further from the towers your antenna can be located, up to 70 miles or more.

Signals bounce off many things, such as buildings, hills, even walls inside the reception room and yes, cars, in the case of an indoor antenna. But sometimes a bounced signal can be stronger than trying to receive the signal straight on. If you’re going with a indoor antenna, try several different locations and directions in the room.

With a new digital age antenna, you may also be able to receive out-of-town channels, carrying blacked out sports programs, almost completely uncompressed HD broadcasts (unlike cable or satellite) or network broadcasts not available in locally. As an added benefit, an OTA antenna provides reception for second sets in homes or apartments not wired for whole-house signal distribution.

Depending on the level of desire to receive an excellent picture, almost completely uncompressed digital and HD signals and multiple broadcast signals, considering the investment in TV entertainment you've already made, you should consider up-grading to a new Digital outdoor Off-Air Antenna. Buy your new antenna from someone who will refund your purchase price, no questions asked, until you find the right antenna.

You can go to antennapoint.com to see quickly what stations are available to them, the distance, UHF or VHF and compose heading to help in choosing and aiming their antenna.

Last edited:
my zip is 29687 and i already went to antennaweb to aim it Like i said the channels come in great until vehicles drive by But today i went up on roof which was another 15' higher and mounted it Same results I paid 90 bucks for this piece of junk What antenna would you recommend for multipathing I have a terk slim profile outdoor antenna

Thanks for giving your Zip. You are in an area getting VHF rather than UHF for most TV reception. Other than CH29 multi-path should not cause a problem. Since you are getting interference on VHF, I would bet you have a bad section of coax. There is a break somewhere in the line from the TV to the antenna. A tight bend or old wire could even be water in the RG6. We have a lot of wind in ND and sometimes the coax flexes so many times it breaks on the inside. Looks like new but does not work.

Only way to test is with a very expensive TDR or run a new cable to test. I'd get a known good cable and give it a try. Better than a multi-thousand dollar tester!

Let us know.

Hey everybody, fatcat59 found the problem :up

Antenna was on metal siding! :eureka: There's your problem!

He's only 5-20 miles from all his signals. A little ant above the roof and should have the best reception on the block.:)

Good Job!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)