HD VOOM ers

charleszhang

Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Any VOOM fans here? I use my Super Dish to get the HD package. Now I'm looking for the VOOM package. I called the support and was told I need the extra dish installed which is about $200 even though I have a dish (got this long ago from upgrading to Super Dish, I kept the dish :). My questions are: 1. is it possible to adjust/programm my current Super Dish to get VOOM? 2. If this is not possible, how hard to install the dish? Any technical docs? Thanks.

Charles

charleszhang said:
Any VOOM fans here? I use my Super Dish to get the HD package. Now I'm looking for the VOOM package. I called the support and was told I need the extra dish installed which is about $200 even though I have a dish (got this long ago from upgrading to Super Dish, I kept the dish :). My questions are: 1. is it possible to adjust/programm my current Super Dish to get VOOM? 2. If this is not possible, how hard to install the dish? Any technical docs? Thanks.

Charles
I hate to say this to you, but I would wait on adding the Voom package until Voom gets their act together and starts putting out more new content this month. People are starting to drop the Voom package not add it. I though I would never say this, but I would just get the HD package. You can get it for free for now.

On the other hand, since you are new to Voom, the content should be fresh to you. But unless they add a substantial amount of new programing, you will have seen everyting soon enoug, especially if you have a DVR.

You mentioned "You can get it for free for now." Did you mean the HD package promotion for the first year 12 mons. half price ($5)?

kfried001 said:
I hate to say this to you, but I would wait on adding the Voom package until Voom gets their act together and starts putting out more new content this month. People are starting to drop the Voom package not add it. I though I would never say this, but I would just get the HD package. You can get it for free for now.

On the other hand, since you are new to Voom, the content should be fresh to you. But unless they add a substantial amount of new programing, you will have seen everyting soon enoug, especially if you have a DVR.

kfried001 said:

I agree the programming is just not there. I am also
looking at dropping Voom until more content comes on
board. They just keep repeating the same stuff over and
over.

Just my two cents

charleszhang said:

Charles

You will need a separate dish pointing to 61.5 and probably a DPP44 to handle the 3 LNB feeds from the SuperDish and the fourth from the 61.5 dish. Of course it depends on your current config.

I have a 2 LNB 119/110 dish and the separate 61.5 dish with a DPP44. I setup my D* system myself (and its a 3 LNB oval) but I had E* setup its own equipment.

I also have the same feeling

Kevin_Texas said:
I agree the programming is just not there. I am also
looking at dropping Voom until more content comes on
board. They just keep repeating the same stuff over and
over.

Just my two cents

Thats why I canceled voom yesterday. After three months I watched the same movies and concerts at least three times then it gets reel old fast and is not worth the extra five dollars for repeat content. I also must note I paid for the HD pack annually and I do not get it free for six months. I think this is why they never have voom in any dish network advertising in the newspaper just other promotions.

Well I paid the $100 for the extra dish to get VOOM and $5 more a month isn't going to hurt me until the programming improves. There has been some new stuff but I will have to admit plenty of repeats too.

If Voom doesn't end up showing the live Spanish soccer they're promising on their page (the season starts at the end of August), I shall become very cross with them.

rickaren said:
VOOM Still Rocks! Just wait, don't give up now. It takes time to create new programing, but it was promised as part of the deal with DISH. LONG LIVE VOOM!

Some new programing in first 12 days of August:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=79164
Voom still rocks? I was Voom subscriber #11 from October '03. Voom used to rock, but I think James is soaking this for all he can get.

The webpage still has 4th of July weekend events on it and it is August. It doesn't take a lot of $$$'s to update a webpage. And certainly not as much time to convert content.

You mentioned it takes time to convert/create content; well they have all the time and supposedly up to $500 mill per year to spend. I think James gets a percentage on hw much $$$ he saves off of that budget.

I am sorry, but I after purchasing 4 IRD's and Voom going bust (loosing about $1400 - free programming) and then spending $250.00 on the 942 along with getting the whole house on Dish, a 625, a 311 and an 811, I am a little ticked off at the $250.00 because I got that for Voom.

I am tired of Voom's promises and lack of follow through. Believe me, I wish things were different. It's not the $5.00 at all. It' the principal of what James Dolan is doing. There is a clear lack of concern about bringing content (or even updating a web page) to it's subscribers.

Voom used to rock! And I hope it rocks once more. But right now it is really hard to keep watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn f the dead for the 100th time.

bobd said:
Thats why I canceled voom yesterday. After three months I watched the same movies and concerts at least three times then it gets reel old fast and is not worth the extra five dollars for repeat content. I also must note I paid for the HD pack annually and I do not get it free for six months. I think this is why they never have voom in any dish network advertising in the newspaper just other promotions.
Dish's web page claims that Voom programing is "State of the Art". Is it really?

charleszhang said:
You mentioned "You can get it for free for now." Did you mean the HD package promotion for the first year 12 mons. half price ($5)?
Yes, I did ean the HD pack. I heard they are giving it for free for another 6 months. Since I don't watch Voom anymore, I may just activate the HD pack on D* since I can get that for free for 6 months for free and get UHD.

By the time (if the time) comes at the end of my lease period (Mar '06) and D* has a good HD lineup then I will leave E*. I really hope E* makes it and Charlie is true to his word that they will have the most HD programing, but with D* saying they are getting Inhd1 & 2 along with CinemaxHD, StrazHD, ESPN2HD and the Outdoor Channel HD that is enough to satisfy me (as long as PQ is good). The FOX channels will be an added bonus.

I just can't sit back and say Voom rocks, when I knew how it used to be. Voom needs to know that subscribers are getting disgruntled (or maybe it's just me).

It's still only been a few months since Voom suffered a massive financial upheaval.

I'm waiting to see what happens. In the meantime, I'm still discovering shows I haven't watched yet. Raquel Welch in 1 Millon Years BC was worth the $5 last month to me.....

BobMurdoch said:
It's still only been a few months since Voom suffered a massive financial upheaval.

I'm waiting to see what happens. In the meantime, I'm still discovering shows I haven't watched yet. Raquel Welch in 1 Millon Years BC was worth the $5 last month to me.....

That's a good point Bob about Voom having suffered financial upheaval. Once they get every thing squared away and add additional channels maybe voom will get back to high praise it once had.

kfried001 said:
Yes, I did ean the HD pack. I heard they are giving it for free for another 6 months. Since I don't watch Voom anymore, I may just activate the HD pack on D* since I can get that for free for 6 months for free and get UHD.

By the time (if the time) comes at the end of my lease period (Mar '06) and D* has a good HD lineup then I will leave E*. I really hope E* makes it and Charlie is true to his word that they will have the most HD programing, but with D* saying they are getting Inhd1 & 2 along with CinemaxHD, StrazHD, ESPN2HD and the Outdoor Channel HD that is enough to satisfy me (as long as PQ is good). The FOX channels will be an added bonus.

I just can't sit back and say Voom rocks, when I knew how it used to be. Voom needs to know that subscribers are getting disgruntled (or maybe it's just me).

for new customers the HD pack is free for 6 months, for existing customers it is half price, or $5 a month for 12 months

6 months free, 6 months full price -or- 12 months half-price

An actual deal that puts existing and new customers on equal footing!

Kevin_Texas said:
That's a good point Bob about Voom having suffered financial upheaval. Once they get every thing squared away and add additional channels maybe voom will get back to high praise it once had.
The shutting down of Voom ocurred in April, almost 6 months ago. Yes a lot did happen but can you explain why that broadcast portion of the business VOOM DBS should have stopped the production of material from Rainbow Media and seperate entitiy. I don't believe Rainbow Media which also has other networks should have stopped production because the DBS portion of the business stopped.

My 2c,
Ken

When I signed on for DISH my understanding was that the VOOM 21 would be in place next year so I will take a "wait and see" attitude for now. But if DISH doesn't deliver.....it's back to Time/Warner Cable HD including INHD1 & 2 for me.

Well some are not happy with VOOM? Have you tried regular local TV this summer? We are still watching programing we recorded last season on TiVO since there is nothing on but reruns too, and many are not in HD. Most don't watch their TV's in the summer I guess. Are you canceling HBO or Showtime? Not much there either. "The Closer" on TNT is interesting to view and I forgot about the last season of Six Feet Under on HBO. Are they all going to die? When the new fall season starts I hope that VOOM has all new programing, but think it is unfair to knock them now. With the new 942 DVR it is easy to record VOOM programing. I have already received much of that $250 lease payment in enjoyment. Some are never happy. For me I just happy VOOM is still around!

Yup. All the channels rerun. VOOM is no different. HBO runs the same old stuff over and over. What else is new?

I use my 942 to record what I want from the VOOM channels and enjoy it when I'm ready. For $5 a month I couldn't be happier.

And, yes, it's reasonable to assume that the fall season will bring more new content on VOOM and most other channels as well.

Now, when the heck is SciFi Channel gonna go HD???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts