? HD vs Digital

Justa

Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
NE
Hi All,

Newbie to Satellite TV. I’m interested in the Dish Network Basic $19.99 with Local.

I’ve had cable for a week now with SD cable direct to two TVs [no box], with a cable amplifier.
They are connected to two Samsung HDTV’s with very good SD upconversion, and the PQ is surprisingly good.

For movies and most TV shows, I use Internet [wired] > Roku.

A few quick questions:
How good is the non-HD digital reception with Dish?

Forum will not allow me to add url link, but ad states Local programming at no extra cost. Is this correct?

Local programming is transmitted in HD, will it pass thru Dish as HD or SD with basic package?

What equipment is best for digital reception in two rooms; no DVR no HD[unless local HD is included in package]?

Additional info:
I plan to mount the dish on a pole about 50 feet from the house and trench the cables to the house. Will I need a cable amp?

Any suggestions for purchasing the pole?

Lastly, how do I find a good installer?

Thanks

When you sign up with dish, they will either use their own installer or contract the work out.

The quality of SD depends on your HDTV's upscaler. I've seen good SD on some, horrible on others. Your going to be disappointed with SD on a HDTV. It's like driving a corvette with a 4 cylinder. You would be much better off with the HD package. It's not much more. In fact if you agree to a 2 year commitment, and auto pay (credit/debit/checking account), HD is free for LIFE.

IIRC, Locals are In HD on the cheaper packages.

Locals are at no additional cost.

You will not get ANYTHING in HD with a Non HD receiver. It don't work like that. I recommend the hopper and a joey for room 2. That way you have HD and DVR. Your missing out with both. With DVR you can record shows when your busy, or gone, to watch them later. You don't miss out on anything.

You said "I plan to mount the dish", let Dish do that. The newer dishes are much harder to install by yourself, and require proper and expensive signal meters for the best reception. According to dish rep, the pole install is FREE.

For a 50 feet run, no amp is needed. Let dish do the trenching. Why waste time and money, when the install is free?

Are you looking at the Smart Package? That's $19.99 for five months, it will actually be $24.99 the remaining months. It does include locals and they will be in HD if you have an HD receiver. I'm not sure Dish will even allow you to install yourself if you are signing up for the two year contract discounted price.
You should look at the top120 package. For that same $24.99 a month you will pay for 7 of the first 12 months, you can get the Top120 for 12 months. (then it goes to $44 per month for the remaining 12 months but I believe you can downgrade to the Smart Package for the remaining 12 months)

Sorry for delayed response, I'm working two jobs.

Thanks for the info, now planning on top120, free HD for life seals it.

With free Hopper, do I need HD receiver and joey in second room, or does joey serve as receiver and dvr?

What is monthly cost for dvr service and 1 Joey?

Thanks again.

The joey works with the hopper using one of it's 3 tuners.So you would in essence have a HD dvr for one more room.

Sorry for delayed response, I'm working two jobs.

Thanks for the info, now planning on top120, free HD for life seals it.

With free Hopper, do I need HD receiver and joey in second room, or does joey serve as receiver and dvr?

What is monthly cost for dvr service and 1 Joey?

Thanks again.
If the two rooms are viewing separate programs or recordings, you would need the Joey. If you want both rooms viewing same thing all the time, you can hook one tv via HDMI and the other via component making the Joey unnecessary. DVR fee is $10, Joey is additional $7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)