hd vs. standard

Status
Please reply by conversation.

krisman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tn
thinking of getting another receiver for my room, coolsat 6000. was wondering if i went to a flat screen hd tv soon, if it would still work on the tv, or do i need a hd receiver? and if i do need an hd receiver, which model should i choose? and are hd receivers set up for true fta as you guys say?

Yes your Coolsat 6000 will work fine on a hdtv, now if you want to get hd channels then you will need a dvb hd receiver.

I use both a SD & a HD FTA box on my HDTV

Coolsat 5000 to scan and show SD
Coolsat 8000 for the HD

hey i am a little confused on what to get for my backup sd receiver. i need one to get the most channels from a sat, one that is easy to line up with sats, one that is easiest to use with a motor with true usals. i have a 360 premier sonicview but have been told it was not user friendly, and i need something easy to use and setup and everything, ive heard you talking about the coolsat 5000 and 6000. and the Fortec Mercury II being the best. which do you recommend? or si there something else you recommend?

oh yeah ive read about that one, now is that standard or hd? and what kind of warranty does it come with? is it true fta meaning it gets all fta channels and then some?

thinking of getting another receiver for my room, coolsat 6000. was wondering if i went to a flat screen hd tv soon, if it would still work on the tv, or do i need a hd receiver? and if i do need an hd receiver, which model should i choose? and are hd receivers set up for true fta as you guys say?

Just a warning, SD doesn't look very good on a HDTV set.

so between these 3 for standard definition, which would be the easiest to use with a sg 2100 motor? and the most reliable

Well, I have 2 Merc II's, and new Coolsat 5000. I still prefer the Merc II, but that may simply be familiarity. You won't be unhappy with either the Merc II or the CS5000, I'll tell you that. I think the Merc setup is easier and more intuitive.
:)

ok, so i think ill go with the mercury 2, might be a good match to my fortec star dish. do u think it will be better with my motor than a sonicview 360 premier? im needing something with a better signal meter i am thinking, does this have a good meter? or would the traxis have a better meter?

I'm not familiar with the Traxis signal meter. The BEST signal meter I've ever seen was on the Buzz Plus, which looked like a storage oscilloscope display . The Merc Signal meter is sufficient , as is the CS5000 .

ok then, well my friend told me that he got like 3000 channels with his coolsat. i would love to be able to get that many but some say different receivers get more or less channels than some others, is this true?
and i also forgot to ask about c band, i just assumed that they all got c band and ku band. i am going to want to get both of them, do all receivers get both?

Krisman,

I sent you the channel list. Download Channel Master, open the file and you will see what channels these are. I am sure other receivers can do the same as to getting these channels. However there are some things that just take work, like manually adding hundreds of transponders and blindscanning, or manually adding hundreds of channels. The list I have provided you has all the work done for you, just convert the file in Channel Master and load to your receiver.

I use both a SD & a HD FTA box on my HDTV

Coolsat 5000 to scan and show SD
Coolsat 8000 for the HD
Do you have any truoble with the remote controls like changing channels on the wrong box or are they different? I have the Coolsat 5000 now and I am thinking about upgrading to HD.

I have an HDTV and what you say is true but a few SD channels look almost as good as HD. White Springs TV looks crappy while PBS SD looks very close to HD.

The PBS stuff has improved a lot in the last few months, Best part of a year ago, some of it was absolutely TERRIBLE, when viewed on an HDTV. Particularly some of those Masterpiece shows that originate in England. The older ones in SD looked OK on my old analog TV, but looked absolutely terrible on my HDTV. My guess is that the original must have been converted from PAL, and lost some definition there, then lost more when scaled up to the 1080 HDTV. The dimensions just didn't match up to the dimensions of the TV. But recent shows that must come from HD originals look great, whether viewed on the SD or HD channel.

I think it's largely a question of whether the dimensions of the screen are close to an even multiple of the video. I've actually found that some SD looks better when put into a side by side PIP than it does if you run it full screen. Not because you're exxagerating the imperfections, but because the PIP just happens to often have closer to the proper dimensions.

The problem of losing definition upon scaling up SD video to HDTV screen is also particularly bad at times with my OTA channel. The local channel hasn't figured out yet how to superimpose their SD text crawlers onto a HD broadcast, and when we have storm information (closings and such) displayed at the bottom of the screen, it used to be that you couldn't read it. Apparently someone complained, so when we have storms, they now switch the HD broadcast to SD, so that the text matches up better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)