HD: What's Next and When?

sensming

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Any word on when we will be getting more of those "500 HD channels" and what they will be?

My wish list:

A&E HD
Animal Planet HD
Bravo HD
FX HD
History HD
MTV/ VH1 HD
Speed HD
Spike HD
HDNet
Ability to buy UFC PPV events in HD!!!!

Basically - when will Cablevision start catching up with DirecTV?

relax man. They aren't going to add all 500 at once. In the last few months, Cablevision has been really good about adding channels.

We've gotten ESPN2, TBS, HGTV, CNN and Food all in the last few weeks.

relax man. They aren't going to add all 500 at once. In the last few months, Cablevision has been really good about adding channels.

I wouldn't consider TBS to be a true HD channel.

I was thinking the same thing. Cablevision has really added a lot lately, but every time they add a channel the next day someone is looking for them to add more. Be patient, they have done a good job adding channels, and I am sure they will add more.

Any word on when we will be getting more of those "500 HD channels" and what they will be?

My wish list:

A&E HD
Animal Planet HD
Bravo HD
FX HD
History HD
MTV/ VH1 HD
Speed HD
Spike HD
HDNet

A&E is OK. The best on your list is History HD. I can't believe you don't get HDNet with Cablevision.... everybody else has had that one for decades... hahaha

While I am happy with these additions, Cablevision needs to get better HD channels:

ESPN2: awesome for sports, good choice
TBS: Not HD (only good in October)
HGTV: Anyone watch this channel? My wife love HGTV and doesn't even watch this channel in HD.
Food: Will be cool when they start showing the same shows on the main channel as the HD channel
CNN: Because when I think of HD content, I think of the news

Again, I am happy with Cablevision adding channels, but I prefer quality over quanitity. It was awesome when they got Nat Geo and Discovery HD Theater because those channels could be enjoyed in HD. Some of the ones we've gotten recently (with the exception of ESPN2) are not really what I would consider "must have" as far as HD content. And forget those VOOM channels. Monsters and Kung Fu are ok, but Monsters can't get their schedule together. For the past week or so all of their movies have been off by about 15-20 minutes.

Sorry, I'm done with my mini-rant :) :eek: :D

All I’m saying is; these are channels that are already offered by competing providers… Is it that unreasonable to ask that Cablevision also provide them?

Yes, they have given us good stuff recently. (Specifically ESPN2. That’s useful.) However, they still have significantly less HD offerings than other providers. (I don’t count Voom as HD channels.) I just visited my parents in Boston who have Comcast, and I was thoroughly depressed to see how many more HD channels they have than us.

No, all of these stations don’t have great programming yet, but, that’s not up to the providers… it’s ups to the networks. I’d rather HAVE them, and then slowly have the networks get better programming onto them than to NOT have them, and miss the occasional good stuff that they do show.

I’d just like to know what the next upcoming additions will be, and am hoping they are actively working to get more programming added.

A&E is OK. The best on your list is History HD. I can't believe you don't get HDNet with Cablevision.... everybody else has had that one for decades... hahaha

HDNet is the most OVERRATED HD channel.
It was good when they where the only game in town.
You can find the same programming on MOJO and throughout the VoOM channels.

HGTV: Anyone watch this channel? My wife love HGTV and doesn't even watch this channel in HD.

My wife and I watch a ton of stuff on the HD version of HGTV. "What's With That House?", "Offbeat America," "World's Most Extreme Homes," and "Small Space, Big Style" to name a few. I guess we are the opposite of your wife, in that we never watch the regular HGTV.

My wish list:

A&E HD
Animal Planet HD
Bravo HD
FX HD
History HD
MTV/ VH1 HD
Speed HD
Spike HD
HDNet

What about SciFi? I can't believe Animal Planet is so high on your list?

I know SciFi doesn't have a huge HD selection, but it has what I like...Atlantis, Gallactical...etc.

I worry about having HD versions of "rerun channels" that will only be digital (no HD) TV...much like TBS.

What are you going to watch on Speed HD? an indy race, way to appeal to 4 viewers.

MTV doesn't even have decent content in SD, who wants that crap is HD.

Animal Planet, woo-hoo Planet's Funniest Animals in 1080i.

Spike HD, yeah that channel won't be full of stretch-o-vision.

History Channel is probably the only appealing channel on your list. At least ask for the remaining Discovery suite channels, at least those have appealing programs.

A&E HD
Animal Planet HD
Bravo HD
FX HD
History HD
MTV/ VH1 HD
Speed HD
Spike HD
HDNet

Only channel worthwhile is History HD.
Do I really need to see "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" re-runs and "My Super Sweet Sixteen" in HD?

i'm glad you're all taking time out to bash my list... that wasn't exactly the point of this thread.

the point is; these are channels that are ALREADY OFFERED on providers other then Cablevision - when are we going to be getting them?

i KNOW that these networks don't have great programming yet - but the are starting to come together... i would rather have the channel and have the *option* of watching it or not, instead of not having the option at all - which is currently the state of affairs.

so, back to my original question; when will Cablevision start catching up with DirecTV and Comcast as far as the number of channels they are offering. (again, i don't count voom as HD channels, and when you take them out, CV is waaaay behind.)

so, back to my original question; when will Cablevision start catching up with DirecTV and Comcast as far as the number of channels they are offering. (again, i don't count voom as HD channels, and when you take them out, CV is waaaay behind.)

So if DirectTV and Comcast added VOOM, would you count them then? While I agree that we're missing some pretty big names in HD channels and would like to see our options expand just as much as the next guy, I find your thought process flawed when counting "actual channels." Can you explain why channels that only offer HD content don't count as HD channels?

I'd be curious to compare total hours of HD content on Comcast vs VOOM alone. Are you telling me there isn't a single hour of programming you won't give a shot this week? I can't tell you the last time I watched some of the other 'national' channels we get. Are you upset about the price it costs? Afterall it is free and it is 100% HD.

Bottom line here - is there anyway to find out what channels we can expect to see soon? Or is there no announcement, just wait and see what comes.

CV has never made announcements citing specific channels coming down the road like D* has. The most notice they ever give is a few days and we find out by either seeing it advertised on the guide channel or by a CV employee posting the info they got in an internal memo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)