HD200 vs HD300

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tony17

Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Hello,

I was looking to get one of the above receivers and wanted to know what additional features/benefits the hd300 has over the hd200 other than rf remote capabilities?

Thanks,

T

tony17 said:
Hello,

I was looking to get one of the above receivers and wanted to know what additional features/benefits the hd300 has over the hd200 other than rf remote capabilities?

Thanks,

T
I did not see any. There is no HDMI connector or anything like that. I would venture to guess only the firmware is updated. You would probably need to test drive them side by side to see those variances.

If you opt for the HD-200 you may as well just get the Hughes HTL-HD and save the $100 Sony charges for the name. Although on my last visit to SoundTrack the HTL-HD was 269.95 and the HD-200 was 259.99 because of clearance pricing.

tony17 said:
Hello,

Thanks,

T

Tony, Slacker is a Hughes guy and I'm a Sony guy so consider the sources.

I've had the HD-200 and now have a HD-300. Neither the installer or myself could get the 200 working with DVI to a non-Sony plasma. It was fine otherwise.

I really like the SAT-HD300. It seems to scan cable and OTA faster and changes channels faster. The PQ is excellent. I would highly recommend it.

The HD-200 will not output 480i and DVI/RGB Simultaneously. The HD-300 seems to run a whole bunch cooler than the HD-200, and also in my area at least gets vastly better OTA reception.

Hope that helps ya :)

Seawaves said:
Tony, Slacker is a Hughes guy and I'm a Sony guy so consider the sources.

I've had the HD-200 and now have a HD-300. Neither the installer or myself could get the 200 working with DVI to a non-Sony plasma. It was fine otherwise.

I really like the SAT-HD300. It seems to scan cable and OTA faster and changes channels faster. The PQ is excellent. I would highly recommend it.
Seawaves ... what are the differences between the HD-200 & HD-300? I would just like to know, just channel scanning and changing? Is the interface different, more advanced menus? Just curious.

Oh, and for the record, while I currently own all Hughes receivers:rolleyes:, it is not because I do not like Sony. most of the examples on this site where I said do not buy Sony were between the HD-200 and HTL-HD ... that is only trying to save folks a C Note since there the only difference between these two boxes is the plastic bezel on the front. I hate to see folk pay more for a name.

Now on the truthful side, unless you are talking TV's, camcorders or digital cameras ... no I do not like Sony's other products. I just saved my friend from buying one of their home theatre receivers about a 2 weeks ago. He bought a Yamaha instead and loves it and was nicely surprised by the added value that only cost him $60 more! On that note, if you are looking for a good entry level Home Theatre receiver I would recommend a Yamaha or Onkyo to anyone, they are in the top echelon of entry level HT receivers.:D

slacker9876 said:
Seawaves ... what are the differences between the HD-200 & HD-300? I would just like to know, just channel scanning and changing? Is the interface different, more advanced menus? Just curious.

Oh, and for the record, while I currently own all Hughes receivers:rolleyes:, it is not because I do not like Sony. most of the examples on this site where I said do not buy Sony were between the HD-200 and HTL-HD ... that is only trying to save folks a C Note since there the only difference between these two boxes is the plastic bezel on the front. I hate to see folk pay more for a name.

Now on the truthful side, unless you are talking TV's, camcorders or digital cameras ... no I do not like Sony's other products. I just saved my friend from buying one of their home theatre receivers about a 2 weeks ago. He bought a Yamaha instead and loves it and was nicely surprised by the added value that only cost him $60 more! On that note, if you are looking for a good entry level Home Theatre receiver I would recommend a Yamaha or Onkyo to anyone, they are in the top echelon of entry level HT receivers.:D

Hey, whoa..I didn't mean to get you all worked up, Slacker! I came to you to ask about boxes before. I did forget to add that the 300 makes zero noise when off and th e200 has fans that always run (unless you unplug that sucker) so in a beeroom the 300 is better.

I did mention the DVI problems the 200 gave me. I don't see a huge dif.f in the menus but I don't have a 200 here to compare.

All that said- some other Sony products I have mixed results with. I do have the top of the line Sony ES Receiver and it is excellent. As well as a digital camera and a camcorder. It seems Sonys top of the line stuff is good but down the line not so good. I had a SAT-T60 Tivo that died twice.

So I mentioned in my post that you are Hughes STB guy- so i was right?

not worked up ... just full of too much info lately LOL! Love the bumper sticker BTW (even though I won't vote for J Kerry)

I try, when that hoser (we know who) is not trying to tell me how it is. LMAO, what can I say, I'm an alpha male!

Glad you like the HD-300 ... is the "software" better on it? Better or not do you like it more?

slacker9876 said:
not worked up ... just full of too much info lately LOL! Love the bumper sticker BTW (even though I won't vote for J Kerry)

I try, when that hoser (we know who) is not trying to tell me how it is. LMAO, what can I say, I'm an alpha male!

Glad you like the HD-300 ... is the "software" better on it? Better or not do you like it more?

The 300 does change channels faster but that might be it. I did hook up the 300's DVI to my 23" Sony LCD and had zero problems unlike the 200, on which I could not get the DVI working.

I'm sure the Hughes you have is every bit good as my Sony. But my Sony 5000ES Receiver (170 Watts PC) might rock you from Los Angeles..lol..

Anyway- here comes Sunday Ticket!

damn I am ready for some football too! 100 games in pure digital "pleaaure" and another 100 just in case I dont like one of the 6 others! Whooooppppiiiieeee!

Perhaps with no NHL season this year (as of now) my fantasy football team will survive better than normal with the shifted focus.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts