HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

I thought that HDCP was to protect DIGITAL outputs (IE, HDMI). As far as I can tell from reading about digital rights management, HDCP enforcement should not impact the output of content using ANALOG ports. Component is an analog port. Am I wrong????

Analog is what is all about. They are trying to get rid of the "analog loophole".

My 10 year old Mits HDTV doesn't have HDMI. It is connected via component cables because that is the only way I can get HD.

BTW I am told the HDCP it not active yet... but will be "soon."

I am sure we will see reports from people when they can't watch shows on their old HDTV from HBO Comedy anymore.

So pretty soon this is gonna render the component outputs useless if every channel does it.
Did anyone not see this coming?

The only real question all along is how it would be implemented: whether HD content would be down-converted as required or simply blacked out.

I guess I need a replacement for my 622.
Why is that? Does your HDMI port not work?

Now that HDCP is becoming a requirement, I wouldn't be surprised if a failed HDMI became grounds for replacement.

Be glad that you can back up your recordings before you swap out DVRs.

Why is that? Does your HDMI port not work?

Now that HDCP is becoming a requirement, I wouldn't be surprised if a failed HDMI became grounds for replacement.

Be glad that you can back up your recordings before you swap out DVRs.

I believe that failed HDMI ports have been cause for replacement for some time. I have replaced two already and after the third problem I went to component video rather than go through the whole replacement process again. But If I am going to lose access to channels I may feel otherwise.

I guess this means that we are either going to have to get our houses rewired or trade in our boxes that allow us to watch shows in other rooms too. My house is setup with coax in every room.

I guess I need a replacement for my 622.

I recall a thread some time ago discussing problems with the HDMI port on the 622. If I remember correctly, many 622's were prone to have defective HDMI ports. Dish avoided the need to replace large numbers of 622's at that time because they weren't forced to enforce DRM. As was previously stated, I suppose a defective HDMI port would now be grounds for a replacement.

I recall a thread some time ago discussing problems with the HDMI port on the 622. If I remember correctly, many 622's were prone to have defective HDMI ports. Dish avoided the need to replace large numbers of 622's at that time because they weren't forced to enforce DRM. As was previously stated, I suppose a defective HDMI port would now be grounds for a replacement.

Yea been through 3 622's mostly because of the hdmi issues.Have a 722 now and the hdmi only works half the time on it.Now with the drm s/w kicking in dish better be prepared to replace a lot more receivers.

Yea been through 3 622's mostly because of the hdmi issues.Have a 722 now and the hdmi only works half the time on it.Now with the drm s/w kicking in dish better be prepared to replace a lot more receivers.

i just remembered i had issues with my 622 hdmi. A few months back i put in a hdmi splitter. Problem has disappeared. weird

I have been very happy with my 622 2 TV setup (1 HDMI, 1 Component), but HDCP will ultimately push me toward the XiP receivers. I can't justify adding 2 more powered devices (HDMI splitter and HDMI to Component converter) to a 5 year old receiver. Hopefully this is just a trial run with HBOCY and we won't see HDCP enabled en masse for awhile.

Like I said I had no problem getting new 622s for this cause on 2 separate occasions. i did not do it this time only because I did not want to go through the setup process. I believe it was always adequate cause. Maybe the DIRT team can clarify.

BTW I am told the HDCP it not active yet... but will be "soon."

I am sure we will see reports from people when they can't watch shows on their old HDTV from HBO Comedy anymore.
I guess that's why its not effecting me yet ... I've also been checking the output every so often to see if it scaled down and so far neither scaled or blacked out (AV receiver via Component, HDMI *was* direct to TV, but unplugged it to make sure there wouldn't be any conflicting info into the 722k).

I'd also be interested if anyone else has started having problems with STB Reboot (two firmwares back) on L683 & L685, I was having STB reboots any time I tried to record HDCP content and left my tv turned off.. kind of ruined the whole "set it to record go to dinner and come back to 'enjoy' a movie" idea..