HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

I understand that the point of DRM is to prevent people from stealing copy protected materials. The workability of various DRM schemes is open to debate. What I don't get is what is the point of HDCP? Isn't the signal from the Satellite to the box incrypted? What could anyone possibly do with the signal from the box to the tv over Component that they could not do over HDMI?

Change it out to HDMI, better yet.

Can I send you the bill? :D

I just paid them to wire it. And I trusted that they knew what they were doing.

What could anyone possibly do with the signal from the box to the tv over Component that they could not do over HDMI?
Record it. Someone could also record from the HDMI output, but it would take a little more effort. With that said, HDCP won't stop anyone who wants to get around it. It is just another inconvenience for the paying consumer.

Ok, but I can do that anyway because the signal is coming in to a Dish DVR (I know that not everyone has DVRs). I guess my point is that I am already buying it from Dish, and if I want to watch it again, I will do so on Dish equipment. I would think (and I could be way off base) that I and people like me would be the least likely ones to pirate the material.

Ok, but I can do that anyway because the signal is coming in to a Dish DVR (I know that not everyone has DVRs). I guess my point is that I am already buying it from Dish, and if I want to watch it again, I will do so on Dish equipment. I would think (and I could be way off base) that I and people like me would be the least likely ones to pirate the material.
It isn't recording to DVR's that they are concerned about. They are trying to prevent recording to external devices which can be distributed.

That's long been the arguement about DRM ... the downside ...

DRM gives them the ability to delete content outside of your control
DRM doesn't stop the cracker/hacker/thief, they will simply circumvent it
DRM *does* cause damages to the fully honest and legitimate consumer.

Most famous of which would be the Root Kit that Sony/BMG were installing on users computers, just because the default setting of windows, was to "play" content from CD's as they are inserted into the machine ... Sony/BMG installed a "root kit" to hide its DRM application on your PC and what ended up happening was that their kit was flawed, crackers found it, and exploited it, so you legitimately bought that Music CD, put it in your machine and then (if not technically inclined) have to pay someone to fix your pc (and yes, later there were uninstall routines, and patches) the point being *you* were more than inconvenienced and yet *you* legally had your copy of the info..

So to this HDCP issue will start coming forward.. those precious splitters and HDMI to Component devices are required to live up to HDCP ... and *if* and *when* those devices are found to be in violation of HDCP, the firmware can get updates that will disallow those devices to function.

HDCP isn't a simple adapter issue ... there is a background to the specification that mandates updates to pull authorization from those devices and manufacturers codes out of the "allowed" column. It will happen .... just "not today". ;) (what do we say to death?)

Just got this in... I will pass it on without comment... but please leave yours. :)
So far I haven't noticed this on my receivers. Lets hope that this doesn't happen. What's next, HDCP on all stations? I sort of understand the pay-per-view movies but premium networks that we pay too much for already. Why pay for a DVR the external device fee if they're gonna put expiration dates on what you record. If only they could get away with putting expiration dates on DVD's and CD's.

Can I send you the bill? :D

I just paid them to wire it. And I trusted that they knew what they were doing.
You apparently did not use the like I provided. You can change the ethernet to HDMI without rewiring.
Here it is again: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8009&seq=1&format=2
HDMI over cat5e requires 2 lines (due to the number of wires in HDMI, which requires more than 4 pair), component over HDMI over requires a single line (requires less than 4 pair). So to switch from Component to HDMI, he'd have to run another set of cat5e lines in parallel with the ones already ran.

You apparently did not use the like I provided. You can change the ethernet to HDMI without rewiring.
Here it is again: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Yes, I saw it. $17.20 (plus shipping) for the 2 wall plates. Then someone has to remove both TVs from the wall, recable, then recable my entire setup as my dish signal goes to the A/V receiver, then from the A/V receiver to the TV. For my 2nd TV it is slighly more complicated because the AV receiver is older and does not do HDMI. Also someone has to re-wire the other end of the CAT5 so that it will plug into HDMI rather than component. I get that I dont have to physically run new wire through the walls of my house, It does not, however, make this much less complicated.

It isn't recording to DVR's that they are concerned about. They are trying to prevent recording to external devices which can be distributed.
and its not just distribution any more ... its how long you are allowed to have it. The DRM screens over at dish are *very* clear that the intention is to limit *your* use of the content and within an allotted amount of time... regardless that you paid for it ...

ie. pay 4.99 and you can view it for 24 hours, but pay 9.99 and you are allowed a copy that you can watch forever (so long as the DVR doesn't eat it up in a violent drive death, and then you're stuck buying it again)

Yes, I saw it. $17.20 (plus shipping) for the 2 wall plates. Then someone has to remove both TVs from the wall, recable, then recable my entire setup as my dish signal goes to the A/V receiver, then from the A/V receiver to the TV. For my 2nd TV it is slighly more complicated because the AV receiver is older and does not do HDMI. Also someone has to re-wire the other end of the CAT5 so that it will plug into HDMI rather than component. I get that I dont have to physically run new wire through the walls of my house, It does not, however, make this much less complicated.

Oh well, I tried.:)

Oh well, I tried.:)

I know, and at some point I may have to have such connectors installed (or install them myself). I think the larger point is that they are making it more difficult for those of us who have legitimately paid for content to obtain said content in the name of preventing piracy.

I know, and at some point I may have to have such connectors installed (or install them myself). I think the larger point is that they are making it more difficult for those of us who have legitimately paid for content to obtain said content in the name of preventing piracy.
It's all been more about the sell it over & over than piracy. Thank $ony and others (including our good friends at Disney) for this wonder thing called DRM & HDCP.

That device takes me back to the old macrovision blocker I used to use back in the 90's. Aka Digital Video Stabilizer.

I bet that HBO comedy is the test, to see who calls in and get the issues resolved. I would not be surprised that sometime soon (like perhaps Jan 1) HBO will require HDMI/HDCP on all channels with all providers. Then I bet they will want it so that if you cancel your HBO subscription they want all HBO recordings on your DVR to be removed or rendered unwatchable (like on EHDs). HBO has always been big on content protection.

Once HBO has paved the way I am sure the other (SHO/Starz) will do it too (CINEMAX being owned by HBO will of course do it).

Next I would see Disney following.

The component "loophole" has closed for BD players. All new players are only allowed HDMI/HDCP HD outputs.

I'm going to go with the HD Fury.

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR to ingest HD into my Mediacenter, so it really sucks that they are trying to dictate how I view my content once it reaches my house.

HDFury

HD Fury 2 should do the trick for most people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts