HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

Has anyone actually experienced a program being blocked on this channel?

I hope that this doesn't make its way to other channels...I have two TV's that are component only, lack HDMI. One has no HDMI port at all, the other's doesn't work properly. It was built in 04 or 05, and face it, HDMI sucked back then. It had lots of issues in the beginning, and devices from those days didn't always play nice with HDMI.

In seriousness, this shouldn't be legal. Back when the color TV came out, there were regulations to ensure that black and white TV's would be able to display color signals. Now, we have content providers forcibly making old sets incompatible, to some extent or another. That's not right.

Are we even sure it has made it to this channel? Something has delayed it apparently does anyone know when or if it is likely to happen?

Well I am connected by component cable and I have not missed anything yet.

This suggests the analog "hole" is still available. :)

yes it does. I will ask again has anyone experienced a program being blacked out yet? I suspect but don't know that any change has been delayed. Whether that isa short term or long term delay I can't say.

But cashcobra's post suggests otherwise. It also sounds like he works for DISH but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Just went and tested it on my non HD tv that is hooked up to my 622 via coax cable and it tells me that I cannot watch this channel. So it does look like it has been rolled out already.

Just went and tested it on my non HD tv that is hooked up to my 622 via coax cable and it tells me that I cannot watch this channel. So it does look like it has been rolled out already.

So why am i able to watch it on an HD set when hooked up by component cables? Is it that SD outputs are disabled but not the HD ones?

Still works via component on 722 here.Makes no sense that ya couldn't watch via coax as the signal would be 480i.

I guess it could be that any 480i output is disabled but I have to admit I have not been clear on how this is implemented.

Geronimo said:
Negative. Are you suggesting it is activated on one arc and not the other? Makes more sense than anything else I have heard.

More than suggesting as of yesterday that is a fact! Lol... I can not get 307 (hbo comedy) on the EA using a slingbox from component. But I can from the WA.

Well I can get it from EA so I am not sure we can attribute it to that just yet. Can others with component video report on whether they see it and what arc they are on.

i have to say though it certainly had potential as an explanation---and maybe it still does somehow.

I suspect it is a giant test to see how things go and how people react before they roll it to everyone. Different arcs, receivers, etc. may be turning things on one at a time to avoid overwelming call centers.

I guess at this point if and when I actually lose a channel I will consider asking for a replacement. But since i have not lost anything yet and because some kind of announcement about streaming Blockbuster content is coming I will wait.

Anyone else see any kind of pattern with s/w versions arcs or anything else? at this point I don't think it is an EA/WA situation but maybe that is part of the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts