HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

I do not believe it is a matter of the signal being blocked to component output, but that component output may be limited to 480p, no 1080i, no HD over componment.

Now to my D50, I once had it connected to my ViP211 with a straight three wire component connection right out of the ViP211, but I knew DHCP was coming so I bought the HD Fury converter and it came with the 5 wire BNC adapter.

I had to reconfigure and reconverge the projector after adding the Fury.

I have never connected it to a computer since it is ceiling mounted and my RGB cable is only 6 ft. long.

Tv lists hbo comedy 307 (component) as 720p and I can't see any difference between the lr hdmi and br component.

Well, going by what the TV says the resolution is doesn't necessarily accurately deduce what the actual feed resolution is, as the DVR has it's own internal scaler. e.g. Say you have your output set to 720p, well, the majority of channels, other than ABC/FOX are 1080i, therefore the DVR's internal scaler will downconvert/deinterlace the 1080i signal to 720p, and the TV will still report 720p. Same goes for 480i SD broadcasts, they will be upconverted/deinterlaced to 720p.

Does anyone know what is going on---or is supposed to. I originally posted that the picture looks very good for ansn SD picture and I was told I did not get it that it would not be downconverted at all it would be blocked. Two posters seem to be indicating that the signal is vlocked 9although in Tampa8's case only on the EA signal.) Now everyone is saying I am looking at a downconverted picture.

So what SHOULD be happening and what is happening? Like I said if this is SD it is pretty darned good SD (and again I am on Eastern Arc)

It does not really make sense to me that the DVR would downconvert the signal to 480i and then use an internal scaler to push it back to 1080i. but I just don't know how to reconcile all the statemetns mase in this thread about downconverting, blocking, blocking on EA only (but not for me0 etc.

Last edited:
Scott, I just noticed this on my remote tv today when I tuned to HBO Comedy. This is really going to mess up the home distribution being sent on channel 62. I have a VIP922 and use the home distribution for my other TV's on channel 62. Do you know how many channels this is going to impact? Makes the current whole house solution a bit suspect.

Well I don't know if having the free preview this weekend makes any difference but turning to channel 307 right now on TV2, the standard and HD channels (just shows it as letterbox on TV2), I see no problems for me yet on TV2. It's not being blocked for me yet, and I'm running TV2 through an RF cable.

The free preview is apparently only on the channel numbers in the 9000s.

gmoesch and tecmo which arc are you on? But maybe this only affects TV2? Is that a possbility?

The free preview is apparently only on the channel numbers in the 9000s...

Just until you unplug/replug your receiver... or wait until the "overnight magic" happens. Then they'll be in the 300s as well.

I've noticed this before. Same thing happens when you add HD channels by upgrading your programming package.

Cheers

Well, I guess nobody really knows what's going on at the moment regarding this matter.

Roger that. usually the forum format helps to share info and come up with a plausible explanation for all the evidence. In this case though it did nt work as well as it usually does. I am curiosus about how this might affect me but maybe I will PM a DIRT team mmber.

The free preview is apparently only on the channel numbers in the 9000s.

gmoesch and tecmo which arc are you on? But maybe this only affects TV2? Is that a possbility?

I'm on the West Coast so I guess the Western Arc.

Also I don't subscribe to HBO at the moment. I will probably in the future though.

I'm just going off the free preview this weekend. And yup 307, both the SD and HD feeds, still good on TV2 as I post this.

I just got word that a big group of channels will be having HDCP turned on for them sometime shortly.

I am not going to name the channels or when, but I want to see if anyone notices and if they do I want them to report what those channels are.

Looks like I'll have to get one of the converter boxes talked about in this thread. FYI - it still remains HBOCY is not able to be watched via my slingbox from the EA, but is still able to be seen via the WA.

Well what about those of us with 622s with broken HDMI ports? Even if Dish were to offer us a free replacement, do you think Dish would also give us a free external drive to transfer our recordings? You know, the ones that we shouldn't have to transfer, except that they're encrypted in contravention of our fair use rights because not one person in the industry would bother to protest this abomination of a scheme at its inception, which is when it should've been dealt with?

So I am still not quite clear on the issue of the TV2 output for 622's (been trying to keep up with the thread, but).. is it impacted by HDCP being turned on?

Are there any existing channels that have HDCP on right now that I could test my DVD recorder on the TV2 output?

So this is really going to piss off a lot of people with Duo receivers and use coax cable through their house, like me.
Ditto. Only the TV in my home theater is directly hooked up via a 722's HDMI. The other 8 TV's in my house are fed via coax home distribution from the 3 other 722's that are in a utility closet. The ONLY way to get them to stop this is to immediately cancel your HBO subscription or any other channels being blocked. Then they will back off. I'm tired of content providers treating us all like pirates when we pay good money for their programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)