HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

HBO has added all (or most tried most of them) of their channels now. I can not watch from the EA HBO on my slingbox. STILL can from the WA.
You have an issue w/ the slingbox. I just put component direct into my set and the picture is there on EA on all HBO chs. I just checked the composite out to my DVD player as well it's passing signal out as well. Time to find out if you sling has gone bye bye sounds like.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Slingbox aspect of all this but I have EA and use component and get all the HBO Channels just fine. Some have told me that it is actually the HDMI signal that is being affected not the analog one which would make sense based on my experience but it is my understanding that most are saying HDMI is not affected but component (and any other analog output is)

all i know is that I can still watch.

Last edited:
Actually at least one poster said WA was unaffected but that EA was being blocked. Take a look at Post 158 for an example. That is what confuses me about all this. Everyone describes different symptoms.

I'm on EA and it isn't doing anything to kill the output yet. So only those on WA are saying it's blocked. I did try the 722k ch 3 RF out and it was outputting.

Last edited:
You have an issue w/ the slingbox. I just put component direct into my set and the picture is there on EA on all HBO chs. I just checked the composite out to my DVD player as well it's passing signal out as well. Time to find out if you sling has gone bye bye sounds like.

It isn't an issue of the Slingbox going bad. It is an issue that it won't pass HDCP channels obviously. I get the box pop up from the Dish receiver saying that, and obviously HBO has now added HDCP to all (or most) of their channels. Why the sling won't pass it is another question, and only on the EA. Both slings are the same model, hooked up the same way. It is my bet there is indeed a difference from each arc that for some reason affects my slingbox on the EA. In the end the easy answer is to get a converter box.

It isn't an issue of the Slingbox going bad. It is an issue that it won't pass HDCP channels obviously. I get the box pop up from the Dish receiver saying that, and obviously HBO has now added HDCP to all (or most) of their channels. Why the sling won't pass it is another question, and only on the EA. Both slings are the same model, hooked up the same way. It is my bet there is indeed a difference from each arc that for some reason affects my slingbox on the EA. In the end the easy answer is to get a converter box.
I checked it as I posted it not several days ago. Just went thru all the HBO chs again. None are blocked for me so don't know what the issue is. That is why I suggest it is a sling issue.

It would appear to be a sling issue I do agree, but not because it is going bad was my only point. And it illustrates there must be a difference in how the encryption works on each arc.

Btw, I have noticed another quirk, on either arc, all my VIP612's. Put on HBO, then go to your DVR, put on a recorded event (show), stop the show, pick done, and HBO will not show in the playback box like other channels do....... (Nothing to do with slingbox.... just normal use)

Last edited:
No question, just started today, I tried last night and only HBOCY was still affected.

I m on EA and don't see what you are reporting at all----not even on HBO CY. Have you tried watching without the sling involved?

I cannot watch any of the HBO channels in my bedroom over my coaxial cable even when my 622 is in TV2 mode. This is bull
since this is the only movie channel I pay for. Also yes I am on WA, but I have a dish pointed at 61.5 as well.

Just verified that I cannot watch them on my gameroom tv either. That one is also on a coaxial cable. I did the system info test like it said to do and under HDCP is says NO for TV2 and YES for TV1.

Just verified that I cannot watch them on my gameroom tv either. That one is also on a coaxial cable. I did the system info test like it said to do and under HDCP is says NO for TV2 and YES for TV1.

Do you have any set hooked up with HDMI or component?

Do you have any set hooked up with HDMI or component?
You could be into something. If TV1 is not HDMI compliant it might not let the box send video out to TV2.

I for the life of me can't figure out why HBO is doing this... it's not like they are running first run films or anything.

This is total B.S. HBO you suck! It's one thing to stop people re-recording, but to stop them even watching the damn thing, even in SD is plain stupid.

Boo HBO
Boo Dish Network for supporting this

I use HDMI for my main TV and Component for Bedroom so I'm screwed BOO

I confess I haven't read all 18 pages but in-case this helps, you can use this HDFury to get around this.

I am still working on what they are doing. I am on EA. One receiver is a 722(with a sling box) in dual mode TV1 is HDMI TV is connected through the composite cables. The second receiver is a 622in single mode hooked up by component. none of the TVS has a problem on any HBO channel.

I suppose it is just barely possible that the reason both TVs on the 722 are ok is that Tv1 is HDCP compliant. At least in my case the sling is not causing a problem nor is EA. But hey i am just trying to figure out what is going on. I am not inclined to draw conclusions simply from my own setup.

I was only using TV1 since I only have one receiver in the house. Even in TV1 it will not let me watch the tv in the bedroom or the game room over coaxial cable. The living room tv is the only tv hooked up with HDMI.

Just got HBO today, TV2 alive and well on all channels.

Edit: Western Arc, 722K

Last edited:
If its not working for you on TV 2 or component outputs please post if you are on Eastern Arc or Western Arc, What kind of receiver do you have, and what software version are you running.

That would help narrow things down a bunch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts