HDCP to Begin on HBO Comedy

Currently watching HBOCY HD on my TV2, Eastern Arc, TV1 is off which is normally connected by HDMI.

I have an old 27" CRT HD tv, so I'm sure it's not HDCP compliant. I will turn everything off, tune TV1 to HBOCY, and see if my TV2 coax connection has any problems.

Currently watching HBOCY HD on my TV2, Eastern Arc, TV1 is off which is normally connected by HDMI.

I have an old 27" CRT HD tv, so I'm sure it's not HDCP compliant. I will turn everything off, tune TV1 to HBOCY, and see if my TV2 coax connection has any problems.
Now watching HBOCY on both TVs, no problems here. Yes, my HBO HD channels are on 72 sat. My HBO SD channels report 61.5

I used to have this problem with a TWC box... It wasn't true 2xTV, but when I was single, I ran the coax output upstairs, and was thus able to use the same single DVR to serve 2 TVs... BUT I had to use component downstairs, b/c if the box detected HDMI with TV1 off, it would not feed the coax.

I used to have this problem with a TWC box... It wasn't true 2xTV, but when I was single, I ran the coax output upstairs, and was thus able to use the same single DVR to serve 2 TVs... BUT I had to use component downstairs, b/c if the box detected HDMI with TV1 off, it would not feed the coax.
Oh, that gives me another scenario to try when I get home today. My modulator settings have TV2 coax out on antenna channel 60 and TV1 out on antenna channel 69. I can tune my living room HDMI TV1 to HBOCY and see if the coax feed over channel 69 is still available. That way I don't have to change my settings to single mode to test it.

Any one who is having an issue with TV2 giving an HDCP error message or getting the error on TV1 hooked up with a component cable, please PM me your account information so I can start submitting Technical Problem Reports. I would also need the software version from the receiver(s) that are having this issue and what channels it is happening on. Please include TV model # as well if possible.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of contradictory information in this thread. I’m currently pointing at the WA with a wing to the 61.5 and I have a 622 with the latest software (L635). I don’t see anything on any of the HBO channels to suggest any problems. If problems arise due to this HDCP issue, what will I see?
To other posters that say HBO comes from the 110, channel 300 comes from the 110; all the other HBO channels come from the 129, at least for me.
Finally, when I look at the system info, I see HDCP YES. What does that mean since I’m currently hooked up with component cables?
My TV is a Mitsubishi 65813 which doesn’t have an HDMI port but has a DVI port that is HDCP compatible. I already went to newegg and purchased a HDMI to DVI cable in anticipation of any eventual issues and will switch to this cable if and when it becomes necessary. It all this much ado about nothing?

Just tried something to see what would happen. I tried to set my 722k to not show my HDMI connection. Couldn't do it manually so I disconnected it then did a reboot of the box w/o it hooked up. Well that still didn't change anything. It still had in storage that the HDMI connection was there. So unless I were to disconnect and reset to factory default I'm thinking it is stored in the memory. So I'm not really willing to go that far. Someone else is going to have to do those type of test to see if it makes an difference. Zach have you run test w/o only the component on a unit that has been set to default?

Here is an update and clues; (This is for a VIP612 in all cases)

On the EA, where my slingbox will not get the HBO encrypted channels, turning on the TV which is connected via HDMI, then allows the component outputs to work, and so then the Slingbox gets the HBO channels. It takes the receiver to see there is an HDMI HDCP compliant device connected.
Importantly, looking at the HDCP readout on the VIP612 receivers (2) on the EA (going to diagnostics, analysis) it reads "Authorizing" and stays there when the TV is turned off, meaning it sees no HDMI HDCP connection and never authorizes the connection.

On the WA, with the TV off, it reads "Restricted" on the VIP612 receiver, and as I have reported, it still allows the component outputs to work with encrypted channels. To me this shows there has to be a difference in the way the encryption is working on the two ARC's, or I suppose how different VIP612's are working.
Remember, both are VIP612 receivers, both are the same model Slingbox, both connected in the exact same way.

Last edited:
I am getting the HDCP message on all HBO channels. I have a 622 ver L635 connected via HDMI to a brand new Mitsu 73738. WTF!!!!! Been getting this message when trying to rent a video and just overlooked the issue, but now that I can't get HBO....... They are all shooting themselves in the foot with this BS. Guess I will have to investigate alternative programming providers. Anyone know if DirecTV is having these issues also?

I am getting the HDCP message on all HBO channels. I have a 622 ver L635 connected via HDMI to a brand new Mitsu 73738. WTF!!!!! Been getting this message when trying to rent a video and just overlooked the issue, but now that I can't get HBO....... They are all shooting themselves in the foot with this BS. Guess I will have to investigate alternative programming providers. Anyone know if DirecTV is having these issues also?

I’m curious. When you go into your receiver’s menu then into system info (key in 6,1,3) than next, what’s to the right of HDCP? Is it “YES” or something else?

I'm on Direct and just checked all the HBO channels. I get no indication of HDCP issues. But I may be in compliance and it wouldn't show up.

Says Digital = yes, HDCP = No.. And I know this Mitsu has HDCP. Dish says to hook it up with component.. I say I've had the HDMI port calibrated, paid good money for an HDMI cable and now would have to go and purchase a component cable. Bull$hit is what I say. If Dish is going to pull a stunt like this they #1, should have warned their customers and #2, should have equipment that freaking supports the technology they are implementing. I am sure that the problems folks on this forum are having are just the tip of the iceberg. Way to go Dish. Self inflicted wound. You WILL lose customers and $$ over this boneheaded move.

I'm on Direct and just checked all the HBO channels. I get no indication of HDCP issues. But I may be in compliance and it wouldn't show up.
Just to point out .. you don't mean to insinuate that the OP (la_due66 in this case) is *not* in-compliant, but that there could be something wrong with the setup that is causing this problem and the user should get dish chat or call into dish to get some help ... right?

within limitations.. HDMI to HDMI, a standard cable that's 3 to 10 ft long .. the user should not be having the issue, cable going directly from TV to Dish Receiver.. etc..

To LA_DUDE66 ... no other components involved... HDMI Cable 10ft or less, directly between Dish Receiver & TV ... leave TV on ... unplug your dish receiver.. wait a minute, plug dish receiver back in and see if that clears the problem ...

HDCP is a handshake protocol backed "cluster-foxtrot" or "fubar" that sometimes gets it wrong. If the only way you can get it to work is by unplugging one component or the other every time you get the message, then you need an update ... either for the TV or the Dish Box..

HDMI is a digital medium ... cables for the most part don't effect the transmission as much (at short lengths) as does "quality" or "fear mongers" like MonsterCable would instill in people. if you bought your cable at the Dollar Thrift Store ... then maybe its bad... though it would be surprising that it only effected the handshake of HDCP and is still showing you a digital picture screen (even with the logos, you're seeing something *because* the HDMI cable connected, and such).

Do check your Mitsubishi websites and chat them if possible to see if there is a firmware update for your set (it wasn't made yesterday and even if it were, that doesn't mean the production floor had yesterday's firmware available for installing) ...

But again if you are able to get it to clear the message by power pulled reset of the Dish box, and then it doesn't happen again, then it was just taking time for the Dish Box to recognize the HDMI connection and Mitsubishi were valid destinations.

If you have *anything* in-between the TV hdmi & Dish hdmi ports.. then all best are off.. and you have to try straight between the two first..

EDIT: < WELCOME > to HDCP 101. :( its a horrible class to go through.

I've done the switch reset.. I will try and unplug it and see if that helps.. My set has ver 12.07 and there is a ver 12.08 but it is supposedly only for 3D updates. I hate the thought of having to update the set but will try it as a last resort. Not sure if it will reset all of my settings and lose the calibration.. Grrrr... Hate to buy another HDMI cable to troubleshoot but may have to if the other steps don't fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)